BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 04-13-2019, 04:17 PM
Cooper's Law

Dannybolt:

Quote:
The farce we are currently experiencing, as I understand it (and I could easily be misunderstanding it), is that the last forty years have seen little other than supply-side economics, of which the marginal returns have continued to shrink; however, it is ingrained Republican orthodoxy, so even though the returns are now minimal, they keep going back to that well, because they don't have the imagination to try another path. They look down their noses at millennials who are getting caught with the short straw, while claiming our bare assed emperor is wearing the finest clothes. It's no longer sustainable (if it ever was), as is evidenced by the newly blown 1T budget deficits.
It's not just Republican orthodoxy. They aren't the only ones looking down their noses. The Republicans hold millennials and pretty much everyone not in their death cult with contempt. The Boomer Neo-Liberals from the Clinton Third Way do almost the same but expect undying loyalty regardless.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:25 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutznboltz View Post
Snopes fleshes out a bit how Amazon paid no taxes in 2017 in this link

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/am...al-taxes-2017/
And Bloomberg and Forbes also have articles dating back a few years with how with the speeding up of deprecation of equipment, which was increased under Trump tax cuts, has saw allowed many more companies to have paid zero in taxes for 2018.

Some will say that the purchase of new equipment by corporations adds to the economy as it may not create jobs under their roof, but it does down the supply line. These new jobs then allow for more individuals to pay taxes.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:36 PM
BP Staff

There's a massive shortfall in tax revenues that shows that wishful thinking is not based in reality.

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/16/65779...rnment-revenue

Quote:
The federal deficit ballooned to $779 billion in the just-ended fiscal year — a remarkable tide of red ink for a country not mired in recession or war.

The government is expected to borrow more than a trillion dollars in the coming year, in part to make up for tax receipts that have been slashed by GOP tax cuts.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:10 PM

This has been a problem for 10+ years now. I have always been a believer that you must first have departments heads who will admit that there is wasteful spending and then make an effort to stop it.

Once that is done you sit back and reevaluate and go after programs with the least benefit and if that can not be done start with across the board cuts in equal proportions. Both sides of the aisle should be able to set a few departments aside that are for national security and declare they are untouchable.

But I am not for raising the tax on businesses, no matter how large or small they are, as they have to be able to compete in the global market.

I also have no problem with raising the taxes of those that make over a certain amount as long as the rate they pay graduates as they make more.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:44 PM

Eliminating government waste is one of the great urban legends out there. Yes there is government waste just as there is waste in the private sector. Walmart loses $3 billion a year due to shoplifting. That’s 1% of sales and doesn’t include employee theft, damaged products, breakage on the floor, expired goods that are thrown out, employee errors, lost product, etc.

It will never be eliminated and you can’t go into a budget year reducing departments based on the assumption that you will cut out waste. Plus you made national security off limits when the military is the largest source of government waste.

Most “government waste” are programs that certain people don’t like, but that others see as beneficial to society. Then there is fraud, which you should always be trying to eliminate, but even if you are successful, those funds would still be spent on other projects. Then there are employee errors.

Bottom line is that we traditionally collected spent 19% of our GNP on our government. Last time I looked, we were now receiving 17% of GNP in taxes. We aren’t spending too much, we are taxing too little.

One of the programs that the Trump administration has identified as government waste is the program I administered for the past 44 years in various cities - the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG). We used those funds to repair homes owned by senior citizens, install water and sewer lines in low income areas, help the homeless, etc. For the past 24 years we’ve had our funding reduced. Seniors now have to live with leaking roofs for more than a year due to a lack of funding. It’s disgusting.

You know WW, if you are really interested in cutting out government waste, one step would be for you to stop voting for people like Rick Scott after they are caught running a business that steals more than a billion of taxpayer money.

Last edited by Donnie D; 04-13-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:32 PM
BP Staff

What Donnie said.

It's a classic maneuver for wingers to blow a hole in the budget with giant tax cuts for fat cats and then claim they can spackle over the hole with budget cuts, reducing waste, and some magical unachievable growth rate that never materializes because tax cuts for the wealthy aren't nearly as stimulative to the economy as other government investments. And when they're really brazen, the bastards then turn around and say the only way to balance the budget for their idiotic tax cuts is to set fire to the social safety nets like Social Security and Medicare.

My favorite is Waiver's usual canard about food stamp fraud, which is laughable for how little fraud there is within that program and even more laughable because if you cut the ENTIRE PROGRAM ($70B) you wouldn't even make a 10% dent in the NEW deficit hole they punched with the latest tax cut.

Quote:
But I am not for raising the tax on businesses, no matter how large or small they are, as they have to be able to compete in the global market.
American corporations were already posting record profits even BEFORE the giant tax giveaway. The whole canard about corporate tax rates making American businesses uncompetitive has been debunked time and time again.

Don't believe me, believe Warren Buffet:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/03/warr...usinesses.html

Or any number of other economic think tanks:

https://www.cbpp.org/research/federa...able-countries

https://www.epi.org/publication/comp...ican-families/
Old 04-13-2019, 10:19 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
You know WW, if you are really interested in cutting out government waste, one step would be for you to stop voting for people like Rick Scott after they are caught running a business that steals more than a billion of taxpayer money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutznboltz View Post
di·gres·sion. a temporary departure from the main subject in speech or writing. I try not to be the grammar police, but
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
And with a civil infraction law enforcement officers are given the digression to give a warning, either verbal or written, or a citation.
So one would think by your postings that you feel that a law enforcement officer should only write a citation and that they should have no digression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
No, it is someone using digression.
Yup, I made the stops like asked, but never wrote a citation as I used the digression that we were allowed to use.
And here is one that I am sure will get your goat......we even have the use of digression when the criminal offense is a misdemeanor.
My point was that every one of WW's uses of the word 'digression' was wrong, not that 'digression' was not a word.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Eliminating government waste is one of the great urban legends out there. Yes there is government waste just as there is waste in the private sector. Walmart loses $3 billion a year due to shoplifting. That’s 1% of sales and doesn’t include employee theft, damaged products, breakage on the floor, expired goods that are thrown out, employee errors, lost product, etc.

It will never be eliminated and you can’t go into a budget year reducing departments based on the assumption that you will cut out waste. Plus you made national security off limits when the military is the largest source of government waste.

Most “government waste” are programs that certain people don’t like, but that others see as beneficial to society. Then there is fraud, which you should always be trying to eliminate, but even if you are successful, those funds would still be spent on other projects. Then there are employee errors.

Bottom line is that we traditionally collected spent 19% of our GNP on our government. Last time I looked, we were now receiving 17% of GNP in taxes. We aren’t spending too much, we are taxing too little.

One of the programs that the Trump administration has identified as government waste is the program I administered for the past 44 years in various cities - the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG). We used those funds to repair homes owned by senior citizens, install water and sewer lines in low income areas, help the homeless, etc. For the past 24 years we’ve had our funding reduced. Seniors now have to live with leaking roofs for more than a year due to a lack of funding. It’s disgusting.

So you are saying don't even try to stop the waste?

It can be done. The Dillards at University Square Mall in Tampa budgeted over $1,000,000 for shoplifting. An employee came up with the idea of those little yellow stickers they put on the products price. They came up with the policy "no sticker on the product, no refund". There shoplifting and fraudulent returns dropped to almost nothing.

What was even better was that when groups would steal items from Dillards and try and sell them on the street they would never take the price tags off as their rate was 50 cents on the dollar and had to show the real value. When you found an item without a sticker you could, and we did, charge them with dealing in stolen property and theft. You did not have to show what exact store they came from as you just listed the main address for Dillards corporate as the victim.

So yes, waste can be found. And even if it is as small as 1% with the federal budget that is huge.

As for Scott I voted for Sink in 2010. Voted for Scott in 2014 as Crist is one of the biggest asses that ever held an office in Florida. Yes, Scott and his company got caught with their hands in the cookie jar. Which is why I voted for Sink. They did pay 1.7 billion in a fine, but that should had been the end of any attempt by Scott to run for office. I do not know how he won against Sink, but he did. Second time around the left just ran a piss poor candidate, one worse than Scott.

And pete has posted how the GOP have run up the deficit, one could only imagine what the Democrats will do if they get their way of Medicare for all, free education, and open borders.

Lets start with healthcare. Some that are running want to do away with insurance companies. Have you stopped to think how many this would put out of work?

Free education. Some here post take the money from the military. Have you stopped to think about what would happen if Russia, Iran, China and North Korea thought that we had a weak military? Can you imagine how these counties would step up their attempts to influence our elections and/or cyber warfare? These are counties that clearly are not our allies.

Open borders. This one is just insane so I won't even comment on this idea that is being tossed around by the left.

And you say that your funding has been reduced over the past 24 years. This only proves my point from the past postings that it is just not the GOP that is doing things like this. But yes it is happening, which makes me pissed when you have those in charge of providing housing to the poor line their pockets with the money they are given. Tampa has always had this problem, just like other major cities. But no matter who you place in these positions it seems like you have the same results.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post

My point was that every one of WW's uses of the word 'digression' was wrong, not that 'digression' was not a word.
So. Seems like only a few care. I know I don't.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:51 AM

We have an annual deficit of a trillion, which is like 20% of what we are spending. There's not THAT much waste in the budget.

Last edited by Hoek; 04-14-2019 at 11:54 AM.