BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Mighty Mite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
Is it me or is Adam Hall the second coming of Jason Ward? That's not actually meant as a knock on the guy.
I find Adam Hall exponentially better than Jason Ward.

I mean, not that either one of them do anything overly flashy. Hall just... gives everything, every shift, works hard on the PK, blocks shots, and hustles. All the dirty work.

I'm surprised they scratched Vrbata. I really am. I could have thought of two other chunks of dead weight that could use a night off the ice and on the treadmill. Sigh.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
Is it me or is Adam Hall the second coming of Jason Ward? That's not actually meant as a knock on the guy.
If you mean a fixture on the 4th line, I think TB is looking to see if Downie and Szczechura's AHL offense can translate to the next level given a decent winger (Recchi) and decent ice time (3rd line). Hall is the ultimate utility infielder.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Cooper's Law

This is kinda cool ... and it seems to indicate the brass' willingness to go with the whole "Growing Pains" theme and possibly write off this season (I know it's still too early to say that, but it might eventually fit).
Old 12-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Net Paulie View Post
I'm surprised they scratched Vrbata. I really am. I could have thought of two other chunks of dead weight that could use a night off the ice and on the treadmill. Sigh.
Vrbata has the choice of playing with some emotion, working in the corners and fighting for the puck or he can continue his drifting and quickly end his time here in Tampa.

Maybe he feels that his "paltry" salary isn't worth putting out that much effort or he feels that he has his long term contract and now it's time to "retire". I really don't know what his problem is, but evidently management has about had it with the guy, and I don't blame them.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Cooper's Law

Sadly, this is Vrbata's problem. His career is like a yo-yo. As a rookie, he came on like gangbusters with Colorado. Was hot garbage after a trade to Carolina. Came on strong after being traded to Chicago in '05 for future considerations. Fell flat in '06-'07 for Chicago. Then mysteriously clicked with Phoenix for a breakout season last year. Cashed in with us. The guy looked GREAT last season and pretty darned good in the second half of '05-'06. I still think there's hope for him, but he is the very epitome of E N I G M A.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Phil Esposito's Soninlawov

Send a message via AIM to nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Net Paulie View Post
I find Adam Hall exponentially better than Jason Ward.

I mean, not that either one of them do anything overly flashy. Hall just... gives everything, every shift, works hard on the PK, blocks shots, and hustles. All the dirty work.

I'd agree that Hall is a huge improvement over Ward. He's got an edge to his game. Again, wasn't knocking him for being offensively anemic. Just reminiscent.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Cooper's Law

Hall actually has some offense. Certainly more than Ward. But he is smart to base his game on defense and checking. It will ensure he gets a few more years in the NHL at least. And with that opportunity, he may get comfortable enough with some decent linemates to open up his game again. The guy's got a good shot as I recall.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Hall actually has some offense. Certainly more than Ward. But he is smart to base his game on defense and checking. It will ensure he gets a few more years in the NHL at least. And with that opportunity, he may get comfortable enough with some decent linemates to open up his game again. The guy's got a good shot as I recall.
Oh yeah... Here in Nashville for the Preds, he put up three years of 16, 13, and 14 goal campaigns as a 2nd/3rd line tweener... ...before he got pigeon-holed in MIN, NYR, and PIT as a 4th line PK'er.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Oh yeah... Here in Nashville for the Preds, he put up three years of 16, 13, and 14 goal campaigns as a 2nd/3rd line tweener... ...before he got pigeon-holed in MIN, NYR, and PIT as a 4th line PK'er.
He does the PK so well that it would be a shame not to use him there. He is one of the best penalty killers I have seen in a while.

Add me to the list of people who love the fact that both the young guys are in the lineup tonight. Meritocracy at work!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Well that didn't take long. And way to not get a shot off on the breakaway Marty.