BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Wrong Net Paulie Wrong Net Paulie is offline
Mighty Mite
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
Is it me or is Adam Hall the second coming of Jason Ward? That's not actually meant as a knock on the guy.
I find Adam Hall exponentially better than Jason Ward.

I mean, not that either one of them do anything overly flashy. Hall just... gives everything, every shift, works hard on the PK, blocks shots, and hustles. All the dirty work.


I'm surprised they scratched Vrbata. I really am. I could have thought of two other chunks of dead weight that could use a night off the ice and on the treadmill. Sigh.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-02-2008, 04:39 PM
timothy's Avatar
timothy timothy is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nashville
Posts: 7,666
Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
Is it me or is Adam Hall the second coming of Jason Ward? That's not actually meant as a knock on the guy.
If you mean a fixture on the 4th line, I think TB is looking to see if Downie and Szczechura's AHL offense can translate to the next level given a decent winger (Recchi) and decent ice time (3rd line). Hall is the ultimate utility infielder.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Bolthed's Avatar
Bolthed Bolthed is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gainesvegas!
Posts: 4,777
Default

This is kinda cool ... and it seems to indicate the brass' willingness to go with the whole "Growing Pains" theme and possibly write off this season (I know it's still too early to say that, but it might eventually fit).
__________________
“Could I had posted cite a site?” — WWW dot Trump makes you dumb dot RU
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Donnie D's Avatar
Donnie D Donnie D is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 8,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Net Paulie View Post
I'm surprised they scratched Vrbata. I really am. I could have thought of two other chunks of dead weight that could use a night off the ice and on the treadmill. Sigh.
Vrbata has the choice of playing with some emotion, working in the corners and fighting for the puck or he can continue his drifting and quickly end his time here in Tampa.

Maybe he feels that his "paltry" salary isn't worth putting out that much effort or he feels that he has his long term contract and now it's time to "retire". I really don't know what his problem is, but evidently management has about had it with the guy, and I don't blame them.
__________________
“You can’t promote principled anti-corruption action without pissing off corrupt people.” George Kent
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Bolthed's Avatar
Bolthed Bolthed is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gainesvegas!
Posts: 4,777
Default

Sadly, this is Vrbata's problem. His career is like a yo-yo. As a rookie, he came on like gangbusters with Colorado. Was hot garbage after a trade to Carolina. Came on strong after being traded to Chicago in '05 for future considerations. Fell flat in '06-'07 for Chicago. Then mysteriously clicked with Phoenix for a breakout season last year. Cashed in with us. The guy looked GREAT last season and pretty darned good in the second half of '05-'06. I still think there's hope for him, but he is the very epitome of E N I G M A.
__________________
“Could I had posted cite a site?” — WWW dot Trump makes you dumb dot RU
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-02-2008, 06:00 PM
nhljohnson's Avatar
nhljohnson nhljohnson is offline
Phil Esposito's Soninlawov
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brandon
Posts: 764
Send a message via AIM to nhljohnson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Net Paulie View Post
I find Adam Hall exponentially better than Jason Ward.

I mean, not that either one of them do anything overly flashy. Hall just... gives everything, every shift, works hard on the PK, blocks shots, and hustles. All the dirty work.


I'm surprised they scratched Vrbata. I really am. I could have thought of two other chunks of dead weight that could use a night off the ice and on the treadmill. Sigh.
I'd agree that Hall is a huge improvement over Ward. He's got an edge to his game. Again, wasn't knocking him for being offensively anemic. Just reminiscent.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Bolthed's Avatar
Bolthed Bolthed is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gainesvegas!
Posts: 4,777
Default

Hall actually has some offense. Certainly more than Ward. But he is smart to base his game on defense and checking. It will ensure he gets a few more years in the NHL at least. And with that opportunity, he may get comfortable enough with some decent linemates to open up his game again. The guy's got a good shot as I recall.
__________________
“Could I had posted cite a site?” — WWW dot Trump makes you dumb dot RU
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-02-2008, 06:29 PM
timothy's Avatar
timothy timothy is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nashville
Posts: 7,666
Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Hall actually has some offense. Certainly more than Ward. But he is smart to base his game on defense and checking. It will ensure he gets a few more years in the NHL at least. And with that opportunity, he may get comfortable enough with some decent linemates to open up his game again. The guy's got a good shot as I recall.
Oh yeah... Here in Nashville for the Preds, he put up three years of 16, 13, and 14 goal campaigns as a 2nd/3rd line tweener... ...before he got pigeon-holed in MIN, NYR, and PIT as a 4th line PK'er.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-02-2008, 07:01 PM
backstop's Avatar
backstop backstop is offline
Johnny Shortside
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Oh yeah... Here in Nashville for the Preds, he put up three years of 16, 13, and 14 goal campaigns as a 2nd/3rd line tweener... ...before he got pigeon-holed in MIN, NYR, and PIT as a 4th line PK'er.
He does the PK so well that it would be a shame not to use him there. He is one of the best penalty killers I have seen in a while.

Add me to the list of people who love the fact that both the young guys are in the lineup tonight. Meritocracy at work!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Hoek's Avatar
Hoek Hoek is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 16,918
Default

Well that didn't take long. And way to not get a shot off on the breakaway Marty.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2008, BoltProspects.com. All Rights Reserved.