BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 10-21-2019, 08:37 AM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

That the effort is there is all I ask...
Old 10-21-2019, 09:30 AM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
This

Gp - They are 1 point out with 74 games to play. I’d say that’s in contention.
Yes, one point out.
But, how do you feel about that after a spectacular 2018-19 season, then before the butter was on the popcorn getting absolutely manhandled by the CBJ in 4 games of post season....and then not improving the team in the offseason?

Could one say that this is team is one of the best regular season teams ever put together....but doesnt have the grit to get it done in the post season?

Sure we picked up a nice power forward-Plus
Offensive D man Plus

But, we are undisiplined, inconsistant and weak, especially in front of our own net (and in generally in our own end)

...and the backbreaker of all ...penalties = Laziness and/no disipline.

Maybe we should be scouring the league (or world for that matter) for a trading partner to obtain a nasty shut down Defenseman who can move the puck quickly north south.

Said it before here, give me a 2-1 win (3-1 empty netter) than 7-6 win any day.

BTW, the Lightning can thank the hockey gods that they don't have a media market like NY, Montreal or Boston to deal with. Lets just say they got it pretty easy. Maybe a sense of urgency caused by media pressure wouldn't be such a bad thing.
Look at the Red Sox, they bring in a GM, he wins a world series, they miss the post season this season and he is fired after 11 months on the job.

Expectations.

For the record, my expectation for the Lightning this season is to win the Stanley Cup.
Nothing less....and its not working out.
So, to me, any player on this roster is fair game to be traded as long as the return brings a cup to Tampa.

Last edited by gphockey; 10-21-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:12 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I don’t know if you are detecting this at me or the general board.

To say this team doesn’t have the grit to be successful in the playoffs is to ignore history. They have been in the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years. During that period they have won 7 series, advancing to the SCFs once and the ECF 2 times. If that’s not the best playoff record in the NHL, it’s certainly among the best.

To say the team didn’t improve over the summer would be to, first, discount the fact that the team won 62 games during the regular season and has had the above referenced playoff success. Second, ignore that the team was limited in what they could do given the number of no trade contracts that they have. Yes, I know there are people out there who claim that breaking contracts is easy, but they never can show where it has been done. Third, ignore that they were also limited in what they could do due to salary cap constraints yet they added what looks like, on paper, 2 significant upgrades. Fourth, overlooking what should be significant improvements in younger players. Sergachev and Dotchin are significantly below the 300 game mark which is said to be the number of games necessary for a defenseman to reach their potential. 3 of their better forwards are 23 or younger. One would also expect improvement there moving forward.

On one hand you are critical of the fact that they had a spectacular regular season and were swept in the playoffs and on the other hand you are worried about the regular season.

I’ve already given my thoughts on the fact that the team is sacrificing regular season success with an eye on trying to determine what will work down the line. Short term, they miss Strals, who was a stay at home defenseman. They have replaced him with a more offensive guy. Cooper is being forced to try different combinations with mixed results. But now is the time to figure it out. If they can’t get the combination to work, they may have to try and add a defensive defenseman. But your options are limited. You really only have draft picks and Sergachev as major pieces to try and get something. (Well you also have Kucherov and Point who can be traded, but I don’t think the team is looking at that as an option, even though you are willing to trade anyone).

The Athletic does daily odds on winning the Cup. The Lightning are the favorite and even then only have an 18% chance of winning. Boston is second at 10%. There is no trade that the Lightning or any team can make that will “guarantee” that the return will bring the team the cup. That’s goofy. So what you may be doing is wrecking the future success of the team for no immediate improvement.

You can set your expectations anywhere you want, but if those expectations are nothing less than the Stanley Cup championship, your expectations are totally unrealistic.

Last edited by Donnie D; 10-21-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphockey View Post
For the record, my expectation for the Lightning this season is to win the Stanley Cup.
Nothing less....and its not working out.
Get a grip and take a look at the calendar. Save this for 1/1/20 if the team is still playing like this. If I remember correctly, the Blues were at the bottom of the league on 1/1 last season.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:14 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Quote:
I donít know if you are detecting this at me or the general board.

To say this team doesnít have the grit to be successful in the playoffs is to ignore history. They have been in the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years. During that period they have won 7 series, advancing to the SCFs once and the ECF 2 times. If thatís not the best playoff record in the NHL, itís certainly among the best.

To say the team didnít improve over the summer would be to, first, discount the fact that the team won 62 games during the regular season and has had the above referenced playoff success. Second, ignore that the team was limited in what they could do given the number of no trade contracts that they have. Yes, I know there are people out there who claim that breaking contracts is easy, but they never can show where it has been done. Third, ignore that they were also limited in what they could do due to salary cap constraints yet they added what looks like, on paper, 2 significant upgrades. Fourth, overlooking what should be significant improvements in younger players. Sergachev and Dotchin are significantly below the 300 game mark which is said to be the number of games necessary for a defenseman to reach their potential. 3 of their better forwards are 23 or younger. One would also expect improvement there moving forward.

On one hand you are critical of the fact that they had a spectacular regular season and were swept in the playoffs and on the other hand you are worried about the regular season.

Iíve already given my thoughts on the fact that the team is sacrificing regular season success with an eye on trying to determine what will work down the line. Short term, they miss Strals, who was a stay at home defenseman. They have replaced him with a more offensive guy. Cooper is being forced to try different combinations with mixed results. But now is the time to figure it out. If they canít get the combination to work, they may have to try and add a defensive defenseman. But your options are limited. You really only have draft picks and Sergachev as major pieces to try and get something. (Well you also have Kucherov and Point who can be traded, but I donít think the team is looking at that as an option, even though you are willing to trade anyone).

The Athletic does daily odds on winning the Cup. The Lightning are the favorite and even then only have an 18% chance of winning. Boston is second at 10%. There is no trade that the Lightning or any team can make that will ďguaranteeĒ that the return will bring the team the cup. Thatís goofy. So what you may be doing is wrecking the future success of the team for no immediate improvement.

You can set your expectations anywhere you want, but if those expectations are nothing less than the Stanley Cup championship, your expectations are totally unrealistic.
Good post Donnie, but I think you mean Cernak??
Old 10-21-2019, 12:34 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutznboltz View Post
TBF, Dotchin is still way under 300 NHL games. Whether he is still way under 300 pounds though....
Old 10-21-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
Get a grip and take a look at the calendar. Save this for 1/1/20 if the team is still playing like this. If I remember correctly, the Blues were at the bottom of the league on 1/1 last season.
Waiting that long is a huge mistake as well. The worst thing GMs can do is think that anyone can do what St. Louis did. There is a reason it has never been done before, and it's a huge mistake to think it's a norm, or even a 15% chance. Target date has to be mid-November for this team to start figuring it out in my mind.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:52 PM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
Waiting that long is a huge mistake as well. The worst thing GMs can do is think that anyone can do what St. Louis did. There is a reason it has never been done before, and it's a huge mistake to think it's a norm, or even a 15% chance. Target date has to be mid-November for this team to start figuring it out in my mind.
Yes
This isn't all on the coach now, he has had what, several weeks now to "figure it out". I do not believe that the personnel for Coopers system are on this roster or we have a serious lack of chemistry, either way I believe its time for a shake up whatever that entails.
JBB has some tough choices to make, and soon.
I'm out.

Last edited by gphockey; 10-21-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:58 PM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
I don’t know if you are detecting this at me or the general board.
General board, just concerned with GAA/Slot coverage going back to last season, lack of grinding grit and losses early in the season which always seem to come back to bite teams at the end of the season.

Last edited by gphockey; 10-21-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutznboltz View Post
You are correct.

I was on a roll.

Last edited by Donnie D; 10-21-2019 at 01:27 PM.