BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Old 06-30-2014, 08:15 PM
BP Staff

If you really believe that they drafted for BPA instead of need, I've got some quality swamp land to sell you. Yzerman was pretty blunt that they felt they had an organizational weakness on D to address after the DeAngelo pick was made on TSN. He followed that up by presiding over a draft where 3 of the next 4 picks were also defensemen. Frankly, Al Murray is full of shit when he says the d-men happened to be the top rated guys on their list, and I mean that in the most loving way.

I take that back. I believe Thomas probably was highest on their list because they moved up to get him because... they wanted another D to address their need!
Old 07-01-2014, 12:38 AM
Cooper's Law

I have no problem with this year's approach. Frankly, when a draft is being touted for being deep in lower-line forwards and bottom-pair defensemen, I feel pretty good about plucking dmen to balance the org. As far as swinging for the fences with DeAngelo? It's risky, but so is just about every kid you draft (Stamkos is a good example of the rare exception). Once you get past this kid's immaturity, and if you trust Yzerman & Co.'s homework on that issue, then there's one bottom line. We made the playoffs and used the No. 19 overall pick on a righty-shooting offensive defenseman who was by virtual consensus the most talented at his position in the entire draft.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:07 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
I have no problem with this year's approach. Frankly, when a draft is being touted for being deep in lower-line forwards and bottom-pair defensemen, I feel pretty good about plucking dmen to balance the org. As far as swinging for the fences with DeAngelo? It's risky, but so is just about every kid you draft (Stamkos is a good example of the rare exception). Once you get past this kid's immaturity, and if you trust Yzerman & Co.'s homework on that issue, then there's one bottom line. We made the playoffs and used the No. 19 overall pick on a righty-shooting offensive defenseman who was by virtual consensus the most talented at his position in the entire draft.
Yes, nothing is sure. However some picks are riskier than others, and some are safer. Sometimes by a lot. I don't understand the contention by some as to whether Yzerman is making riskier picks or not, like its some mysterious subterranean smear on him. Its been his motif since hes taken over and I have no problem with it. Kucherov and Koekkoek were EXTREMELY risky picks, and so is DeAngelo(and not just because of character flaws).

Just like tonight, all in Lightning Land should be sleeping anxiously to see if there are shiny new toys or a stocking full of coal tomorrow when we wake up.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

DeAngelo (and all the other prospects) are turned over to Stacy Roest after they are drafted to be developed into professionals. So, Stacy is the man now in charge of DeAngelo.