BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Well...if it is a toss up between the two, then why not draft for need? I imagine that yzerman had drouin significantly above Jones for whatever reason which is why the pick was made.

Another thing that reinforces this, is Poile called yzerman in an attempt to move up, yet yzerman stayed put and nabbed drouin..because he knew Nashville would have taken him.

I would have picked Jones because his skill set is so rare, but at the end of the day you cant be disappointed. Now this pretty much neccesitates a deal.
The need on the blueline can possibly be addressed via the large amount of scoring talent depth the Lightning has amassed as trade bait, or free agency. A player like Drouin is special, you just can't pass that up -- surprised Florida did by selecting Barkov.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Quote:
Well...if it is a toss up between the two, then why not draft for need? I imagine that yzerman had drouin significantly above Jones for whatever reason which is why the pick was made.

Another thing that reinforces this, is Poile called yzerman in an attempt to move up, yet yzerman stayed put and nabbed drouin..because he knew Nashville would have taken him.

I would have picked Jones because his skill set is so rare, but at the end of the day you cant be disappointed. Now this pretty much neccesitates a deal.
My general feeling is in the eyes of the Bolts brass it really wasn't a toss up. Jones filled a need, but they want home runs and they don't feel Jones will be a homerun type of player
Old 07-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Quote:
Dreger said poile was the one on the phone with yzerman after florida picked barkov
Which would reinforce the feeling that Yzerman and company didn't want Jones. Obviously with Barkov off the board Poile wanted Drouin as the last big time offensive player at the top of the draft. Yzerman had to know if he swapped picks Poile would take Drouin leaving us with Jones.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Jay Feaster's Cheeto Encrusted Thumb

Default Almost completely off topic

How is it there were 211 players drafted? 30 teams times 7 rounds = 210.

I've figured out the extra pick came in the second round as there were 61 picks at the end of the second, but can't see where it came from.

Just curious, and figured someone here would know.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by uf1910 View Post
Which would reinforce the feeling that Yzerman and company didn't want Jones. Obviously with Barkov off the board Poile wanted Drouin as the last big time offensive player at the top of the draft. Yzerman had to know if he swapped picks Poile would take Drouin leaving us with Jones.
Murray was interviewed and said that on Saturday they had the feeling it would be a Drouin-Jones choice at #3, and Drouin was ahead of Jones on their list.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Murray also said that,

Quote:
"Three times we were looking at defensemen, and somewhere between five and 10 picks in front of us, these defensemen went.
So if the 33rd pick was one of those times, they were eyeballing Theodore, McCoshen, or Bigras.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...-trust/2129362

Last edited by Alex; 07-01-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

My understanding is that if you don't sign your #1 pick you get a compensatory pick in the second round in the future.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Cooper's Law

The next year's draft, DD, that is correct. But is there any concern about Drouin or are you referring to another team's signing issue?

Anyway, I was hoping McCoshen would have fallen to us. He looks like a fine prospect. Hate to see him go to the Panthers. But I was still pleased with the Erne pick. Just keep the kid away from Golden Corral.

I also wonder what Poile offered or Yzerman demanded when they had their brief "chat." It seems the TBL braintrust was/is convinced that Drouin is going to be special, so there probably wasn't much to talk about. We could still see these two team partner up since Jones give Nashville one too many right-handed shots. I might take Kevin Klein off their hands for Ondrej Palat straight up ... or Connolly if Nashville throws in a second. Of course, I'd much rather Yzerman go big-game hunting for a guy like Alex Edler with Connolly as the bait, but we'd have to sweeten the deal and Edler would have to waive his NTC.

I can't wait to see how Drouin's raw talent translates in training camp. If he's ready for the bright lights, why not play him on a top line with Stamkos and St. Louis? I've always believed in pairing your best talent together (at least from time to time) to see them push each other to elite levels.

Stamkos-Hedman-Drouin makes a nice nucleus for a franchise that's already blessed with a hefty sack o prospects. If Yzerman can cull together a defense and one or both of these goaltenders emerge, I have no doubt we'll have offense in abundance to contend. The only remaining question once we find ourselves in a playoff chase would be team toughness. That is where we'll sort out which prospects have a future here.

Last edited by Bolthed; 07-01-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
My understanding is that if you don't sign your #1 pick you get a compensatory pick in the second round in the future.
That's correct. It's how there were 211 picks yesterday.

Pick #61 (Winnipeg) was a compensatory pick.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Bolthed, I was answering the question that weebs posed above.