BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Talk

Old 06-13-2018, 06:38 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Maybe the promises helped but technically it doesn't matter what he promises since whoever is President in 2026 could easily reneg.

I thought the preemptive blaming was as questionable as this credit.

In the end all FIFA cares about is the money and this was a no brainer. The only reason we didn't get it before is because Qatar bribed the shit out of everybody, something Morocco obviously couldn't afford.
Stepping past the political histrionics... none of which were at any point being discussed here and are clearly an attempt at thread-jacking.

Remember, the FBI dropped the hammer on FIFA. FIFA couldn't afford to keep ignoring the US in favor of bribe money because the federal government is hunting them.

I confess I haven't read up on the mechanics of the joint bid... who automatically qualifies for the tournament? All three countries, or just the United States because the US is hosting 80% of the matches? It'd be cool if Canada got an automatic bid. Their program needs it.

Watching the US/Bolivia match the other day and seeing them steal that 1-1 result against France, I'm actually feeling a little optimistic about the future of the American program again. If I were the GM, I'd probably tap Columbus' coach, Gregg Berhalter. The style he coaches seems to me to be almost South American, in a way (which I like, because I think it's an entertaining as hell style), but he's ex-US National Team and has the first hand knowledge of the program's past.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:24 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Stepping past the political histrionics... none of which were at any point being discussed here and are clearly an attempt at thread-jacking.

In all sincere honesty it was posted to let you know I'm still here.

With all that aside, this is great news for the game and those that love to watch the game.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I don't understand what Trump had to do with it good or bad considering he won't be President in 2026.
As I heard it today. "North America promised it would make a boatload of cash. Morrocco went to FIFA and proposed growing the game and letting a new nation host (a sentimental pitch). How is anyone shocked which way it went?"

The US has bought the second most tickets to the World Cup in Russia (a World Cup we don't have a team in). Stating that Trump saying he wouldn't apply his policies to the World Cup is why it came here is laughable. That's equivalent to saying I saved your life because I pulled your arm back after I pushed you off a cliff. FIFA is going to Qatar, where players can't bring their wives. Qatar changed no policies, and are going to have an estimated 4,000 people die creating the stadiums, yet the World Cup goes there. FIFA makes the NCAA look like a nuns convent. To think it had anything to do with anything except money is just a joke.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I confess I haven't read up on the mechanics of the joint bid... who automatically qualifies for the tournament? All three countries, or just the United States because the US is hosting 80% of the matches? It'd be cool if Canada got an automatic bid. Their program needs it.
2026 will be the first 48 team World Cup. The hosts will all get automatic bids, but the increased spots means three other CONCACAF teams will get to go as well, so the others won't be too upset. CONMEBOL goes up to 6 spots, which means 60% get to qualify for the World Cup. I don't know how the math works elsewhere.

Now this is where it gets really kinda stupid: There will be 16 groups with 3 teams each, the top 2 teams in each group advance to a round of 32. Because there are only 3 teams in a group, this could lead to collusion in the final game of a group stage. Bleh.

Each host is guaranteed the two group stage games at home, and Mexico and Canada get another two home games if they advance as the group winner and win their round of 32 game. USA will host all the games from the quarterfinals onward.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada...match_schedule

Quote:
Watching the US/Bolivia match the other day and seeing them steal that 1-1 result against France, I'm actually feeling a little optimistic about the future of the American program again. If I were the GM, I'd probably tap Columbus' coach, Gregg Berhalter. The style he coaches seems to me to be almost South American, in a way (which I like, because I think it's an entertaining as hell style), but he's ex-US National Team and has the first hand knowledge of the program's past.
Pulisic's generation seems to be a lot stronger than the one that preceded it, which seems to be a bit of a lost generation. I think what the France game proved is, as boring as bunker ball might be, what we need most is some tactical smarts to exploit what abilities we do have. Yes, our kids are more technical than ever, but they still aren't at the level where you can expect them to boss the game possession wise against all but the weaker sides. I'd like to see us build a lethal counter so we be solid defensively while still being a serious threat to grab an early lead and give ourselves more room to work with against good teams. Berhalter wouldn't be a bad pick. If we were look at a foreigner again it needs to be someone who isn't as arrogant as Jurgen was and assume we can just freewheel against anyone.

Last edited by Hoek; 06-13-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:08 PM
BP Staff

IOW, you want Tata to do what he did for Paraguay.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:41 PM

Pretty much.

In other news, Saudi Arabia is bad at the soccer.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:44 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Pretty much.

In other news, Saudi Arabia is bad at the soccer.
But hey, it distracted from their continued siege warfare against Yemen!! Wonder how successful they'd be at displacing millions, starving and butchering thousands without the USA helping them.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 06-15-2018, 02:45 PM

So Ronaldo really is that good, huh?
Old 06-15-2018, 07:38 PM

The World Cup officially started tonight. Those other games were an absolute joke compared to Portugal-Spain.

Credit to Ronaldo as he came to play. But then again that second goal is the only shot of his career that I think I could've stopped. The free kick more than made up for it though.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:06 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
So Ronaldo really is that good, huh?
For a pretty boy.