BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Talk

Old 07-15-2018, 07:40 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Is it real parity though when there's so few spots up for grabs? It feels like there's always the same couple teams running away with it and then the second tier that rotates in and out providing an illusion of parity. If a true surprise shows up they are dismantled to the big teams in a couple years. I don't see a way for the Rays to ever be like the Lightning and be a contender for 5+ consecutive years.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Is it real parity though when there's so few spots up for grabs? It feels like there's always the same couple teams running away with it and then the second tier that rotates in and out providing an illusion of parity. If a true surprise shows up they are dismantled to the big teams in a couple years. I don't see a way for the Rays to ever be like the Lightning and be a contender for 5+ consecutive years.
I'd have to find the stat, but I believe they have had more teams in their conference finals than any other sport. Look at the last 10 years, you have 8 different teams win the championship, and 15 different teams in the finals. You compare that with hockey, where over the last 10 years Washington is the only team that has not won the cup multiple times. I honestly can't stand baseball, but it's not because there is no salary cap.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:13 AM

I can't explain the parity. If more payroll equals more talent and more talent equals more wins than the ocean between what the Ray's and other teams pay should be a massive factor. There is also something to be said about the Ray's being basically a farm club, we have so much home grown talent leave because we couldn't afford them once they ripen into super stardom.

The Yankees poached the National League MVP for basically nothing, that shouldn't happen.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
I'd have to find the stat, but I believe they have had more teams in their conference finals than any other sport. Look at the last 10 years, you have 8 different teams win the championship, and 15 different teams in the finals. You compare that with hockey, where over the last 10 years Washington is the only team that has not won the cup multiple times. I honestly can't stand baseball, but it's not because there is no salary cap.
The NHL has the highest parity, MLB the second highest, if it's based on % of teams that make the playoffs
Old 07-15-2018, 10:26 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Success in MLB stems more from draft/development than payroll. That is why a team like the Rays was able to win 90+ games in five of six seasons between 08-13. The only significant differences between teams like the Red Sox/Yankees is that they are able to keep their top talent instead of moving them and can occasionally go out and spend on top free agents. You can't just buy a championship or playoff appearance

The Rays lack of drafting/development is what has them behind at the moment. Two of the Yankees best players are Aaron Judge and Luis Severino. Judge was drafted and Severino was an international free agent. Red Sox are the same way. They have Mookie Betts and Xander Boegarts. Betts was drafted and Boegarts was an international free agent. The Rays have one hitter on their active roster that was drafted by them, and that is Kiermaier. It doesn't matter how much payroll you got if you can't draft and develop.

The Rays will be up there with the Yankees and Red Sox soon enough. We have a loaded farm system that actually has a decent amount of guys that were drafted/signed by the Rays.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:20 PM

The Rays had an opening day payroll of less than 70 million. The BoSox have a 206 million dollar payroll, that's almost triple. With 136 million, the Rays could afford the top 9 highest paid Red Sox players...including Betts and Bogaerts, with 5 million left over. The only player on the Rays who makes more than any of these guys is Ramos, and he'll be traded before the TDL. That is stupid ridiculous.

Again, the Yankees bought the NL MVP. They gave up nothing remotely meaningful to get him, because they could afford his contract. Horrible.

The reason why teams like the Athletics and Rays have swapped to development is because it's the only way to compete. They have to, but there is zero sustainability, zero branding, because we have to deal off our home grown talent as soon as we lose team control.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:09 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

The problem the Rays have this year is there are four really good teams in the AL, but only in two divisions. The wild cards are already locked up and there’s nothing to play for. If the Rays were in the Central at least they’d be in the division race.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:34 PM

The salary statistics should be a stark reminder of the lack of parity in baseball. Itís masked a bit by the AL Central and West that have few big market teams. And the ones that do exist, Chicago and LA are actually small market teams compared to their NL counterparts.

The NL Central and West have big market teams, but the Cubs and Dodgers were joke organizations.

But the AL east is so dominated by the Yankees and Red Sox. The Rays just canít compete in this universe. If they were in another division. But not this one. Itís a joke and I wonít watch it anymore.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:50 PM
Brad Richard's Contract

Well, I think the team is still fun to watch. Even without Eovaldi and Archer. I'm with the players, and they are playing their asses off. And lets face it, BB has always been second fiddle for most of us. Hopefully, if and when the new field gets built, perhaps the Rays can draw the 25K+ per night needed to support a larger payroll. I'm watching from afar, and rooting for them. (we have the Aces here in Reno, the field is almost Legends-nice and we go pretty regularly)

Oh, and all the best to Arch. I think he'll do himself proud in Pitt. I'm rooting for him.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:37 PM

Wish I could get on board the stadium hype train