BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 06-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Swedish Battle Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutznboltz View Post
Is there any chance that Torts re-evaluates his coaching style to adapt to today's kind of coaches (teachers, encouragers, treat them like men, coddle, think Joe Maddon) or will he be the kind of coach that GM's will always know this is what you are getting, take it or leave it? The screamer, yeller, demeaning kind of coach doesn't play well with today's generation of athletes who have been pampered by helicopter parents their whole lives. If he can change, he can still have a long NHL coaching career. Kinda like how Belechick in the NFL changed from the way he was in Cleveland.
I don't know why, but when I think of Torts Mike Keenan keeps popping into my mind.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Send a message via AIM to Sean

I'm interested to see if they buy out Richards. After this past season I don't see him collecting another big payday without putting up big numbers again. If Tampa could nab him for under 3 mil, I'd probably be about it.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Swedish Battle Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I'm interested to see if they buy out Richards. After this past season I don't see him collecting another big payday without putting up big numbers again. If Tampa could nab him for under 3 mil, I'd probably be about it.
With our new division he will be way too soft.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Side View Post
I don't know why, but when I think of Torts Mike Keenan keeps popping into my mind.
Keenan had players that WANTED to play for him. Torts bothered everyone.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
First he is the ultimate charmin player. Second we have an abundance of young start up players who are hungry and want to play in the bigs. Third if he wants anything more than 975k it's too much to turn down and discourage a young stud in the bullpen waiting his turn.

In the true new York style Forget about it.!!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Quote:
Me too, I almost referenced him in my original post

BTW, the Vancouver Sun ran a poll asking should Tortorella be hired as coach of the Canucks, and the fans are split nearly identically 50/50

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...802/story.html
Old 06-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
With our new division he will be way too soft.
I can think of a number of reasons not to bring back Richards, but this one doesn't make the list. He didn't seem to have a problem playing against Philly and Calgary when we won the cup. He also didn't seem to have a problem playing against eastern conference teams after he moved back to New York last year. He played Philly, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Boston 4 - 5 times a year.

If Brad was as effective running a power play as he was during the playoffs, that would pretty effective at keeping teams in line.

As I said, this is all moot, IMO. New York has until the summer of 14 to make a decision on whether to buy him out. By all accounts, he spent a great deal of time on the negotiations and wasn't in great shape starting the season. I think he gets another year. But next year, they have a real difficult decision because the cap hit is huge should he decide to retire early under the new CBA salary cap rules.

Last edited by Donnie D; 06-02-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Swedish Battle Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
I can think of a number of reasons not to bring back Richards, but this one doesn't make the list. He didn't seem to have a problem playing against Philly and Calgary when we won the cup. He also didn't seem to have a problem playing against eastern conference teams after he moved back to New York last year. He played Philly, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Boston 4 - 5 times a year.

If Brad was as effective running a power play as he was during the playoffs, that would pretty effective at keeping teams in line.

As I said, this is all moot, IMO. New York has until the summer of 14 to make a decision on whether to buy him out. By all accounts, he spent a great deal of time on the negotiations and wasn't in great shape starting the season. I think he gets another year. But next year, they have a real difficult decision because the cap hit is huge should he decide to retire early under the new CBA salary cap rules.
The teams you mentioned are much more physical than Tampa. Currently we are "soft" but we are trying to change that. Thus Brad does not fit here. If we were a much physical team then I would be all for it, but like it has been mentioned we have kids that will give it their all that want to break in the NHL.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post

Yep. To add, why wouldn't NYR want to give their new coach a shot at turning him around? I still don't see him getting bought out at all.

For the record if he does indeed get bought out and I munch on some crow, I don't want him here and will be surprised if he is. Too many young forwards knocking on the door and D is a bigger priority. No other reasons than that are needed.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:58 PM
BP Staff

I would absolutely take Richards back at the right price. I wouldn't do it at the expense of addressing the defense, but if I could get him in here on a 1-year deal where he gets the chance to improve his stock in free agency and play with his friends another season, I'd do it.

This message is hidden because WaiverWire is on your ignore list.