BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 02-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Default Buyer or Seller

Ok, it's a bit much to think the team is a buyer given the ownership situation (or lack thereof). But is this team still a seller if it wins on Sunday night?

I think not. Perhaps I have Bolt colored glasses on, but with Boyle back, this may be the best team in the division. Given the number of blown leads this year, Boyle has to be worth 5 games. 10 points more and we are in first with games in hand.

Now can we catch Carolina? I think so. Can we catch Atlanta? I think so. Can we catch Florida? I think so. Can we catch Washington? I don't think so without a win on Saturday.

Win on Sunday and you keep the team together. It's worth a couple of million in revenue even if you lose in the first round. And what does Wilson care if the team loses picks for the future? He's not going to be around then anyway. The only thing he cares about is the money they can make by getting into the playoffs.

Lose Saturday = no playoffs. Then Wilson cuts salary and saves what he can.

I think we are all looking for what is best for the the organization. For this ownership, there is no future. It's the money that can be made between now and when the new ownership takes over.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:16 PM

I don't think you can make the decision after the Washington game Saturday Donnie. They've got four games between now and Feb. 23.
Two home; two road.
I think if they are really making a run here, they go at least 3-1 (a Washington victory has to be one of them, too) and probably more like 3-0-1 or 4-0, then we see where we are.
Regardless of what happens, they have to think long and hard about Prospal and Boyle. Both guys could be gone for nothing and are likely to be gone if they are not signed in the next week or so.
We can't allow that to happen without getting something.
The problem, as you said, is that none of these teams scare me either. Brind'Amour going down muddles things, too. But we can't expect to just go 17-5-2 the rest of the year and win the division with our goaltending.
It's definitely a very difficult decision if they go 3-1 and stand four points out the morning of Feb. 24.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

If we can't re-sign the pending UFAs, then we should trade them. As for being sellers, I believe it depends if OK is willing to spend to the salary cap max. If there is a self-imposed cap, we need to be sellers.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:45 PM

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

Tom Wilson doesn't care if we lose Prospal and Boyle for nothing. He's gone in less than 150 days. The only thing he cares about is whether we can make another million or two by making the playoffs before they transfer ownership. The amount of salary savings for Boyle and Prospal is next to nothing when compared to what they make by getting to the playoffs. So as long as they have a decent shot at making the playoffs, you keep them. No chance, you take the salary savings.

You are looking at this like a fan - you care about the future. Tom Wilson doesn't.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Popcorn Server

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
You are looking at this like a fan - you care about the future. Tom Wilson doesn't.
But OK does. And do you want to give the kids the keys to the car when yer just about to sell it?

How much say they are going to let OK have at this point will be the real determining factor. Of course, here I assume that he's gonna spend close to the max and wants to re-up Boiler. Is he on record regarding Boyle or the "Big 4" (Fantastick!) at all? Transitional periods always wreck havoc with these kinds of things...I'm sure many remember the Maloofs "playing gm" before consummating the deal and how well that turned out...
Old 02-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Just like Astro pointed out depends on the UFA's and how much they are willing to sign for if they are willing. Although OK does not offically own the team he can say "I'm spending max next season--sign Boyle and VP." VP does work well on one and only one line in the NHL, and he does it very well. And Boyle does seem like he wants to stay, and OK will make thing interesting when he takes over.
Regardless, keeping them here--does this team have what it takes to make it past the 1st round of the playoffs? Most say no. Then what happens if you don't resign them and get knocked out of the playoffs? Is loosing the gain from trading those UFA's worth just one round in the playoffs?
To just make some more money yes, for the future no.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:21 PM

I think you have to ignore the standings and avoid losing any players for nothing. Evaluate now, if you cannot sign your players trade them. Losing Stillman and Khabibulin transformed this team from a contender into a playoff team. Losing Prospal and Boyle will turn this team into a perennial bottom of the pack team.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via AIM to Maverick9911

In a perfect world, we trade both of them under :wink: deals (a la Doug Weight) collect a bounty and then welcome them back immediately once UFA period begins. Ah, to dream...

If we go to the max to re-up Prospal and Boyle, what then becomes of our search for a bridge to Ramo and someone else for Richards? Not a day goes by when I don't hear someone demand we deal Richards solely because of his salary (or his +/- but I don't hear that much anymore because I would always ask the questioner what +/- meant and they gave me the blankest of stares).
Old 02-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Old-Skool Assassin

Sell, sell, sell. This is no playoff team. Right now, the best seed to get in the Eastern Conference in the sixth seed because that means a matchup with the Southeast winner. Too many teams to climb over, anway. With all the Southeast vs. Southeast matchups down the stretch, the Lightning is not as close as they look in the standings.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEIBolt View Post
Sell, sell, sell. This is no playoff team. Right now, the best seed to get in the Eastern Conference in the sixth seed because that means a matchup with the Southeast winner. Too many teams to climb over, anway. With all the Southeast vs. Southeast matchups down the stretch, the Lightning is not as close as they look in the standings.
I agree and disagree.
I don't agree that I think it's a lost cause if we are the third seed. The way we're playing, the way we would have to continue to play to win the division, would put us onn a roll with confidence going into to play Phily, the Rangers, Boston, Buffalo, Pittsburgh? Anyone scared. I'm not.
I do agree though if we are on the edge, we should lean toward the sell side. Here's a scenario through Feb. 25

Carolina goes 2-3
Atlanta 1-2
Florida 1-4 (4 road losses)
Washington 3-1
Tampa 3-1
--
Carolina 65 games, 66 points
Washington 63 games, 66 points
Atlanta 63 games, 64 points
Tampa 62 games, 62 points
Florida 64 games, 62 points
--
What do you do? Impossible to answer.
I still think it is a longshot that we can pass four teams and win all those road games down the stretch with our in consistent goaltending situation. Let's just hope, as I've been hoping since Jan. 1, that it is very clear.