BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-30-2019, 05:58 PM
Phil Esposito's Fax Machine

Default Goalies Goalies Goalies

I'm just trying to understand the plan here...we have so many goalies I don't know where to start....

I'll admit, I'm no GM, but it seems like we have too many. Anyone have any clues? Seems like Domingue would be the likely guy to go, but I want him here for next year...Dont see us winning anything without Vasy, but Domingue looked solid when called upon. Also, where's our leverage in a trade deal right now?
Old 07-30-2019, 07:46 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Based on what JBB has already said, Condon will be the backup in Syracuse and he is actively looking for a trade partner for Dominque.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:00 PM
BP Staff

The second it got out that Domingue wanted a trade, the Lightning's leverage was somewhat blown. They need to hope their trade partner is equally leveraged, say by a goaltending injury, which would make the return better.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:25 PM

I didn't see anything about Domingue requesting a trade...maybe I missed it, but didn't he resign for another year? Why resign, then request a trade?
Old 07-30-2019, 08:47 PM

Was that after they acquired Mcllirnery?
Old 07-30-2019, 09:04 PM
BP Staff

No, they started acquiring goaltenders and then it got out the reason was because Domingue wants to go somewhere he has a chance to compete to be a starter. That isn't happening here.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:27 PM

Wasn't a particularly huge surprise when that got out either. He was on the radio last summer fresh off of signing his two year deal, saying that he signed here because it provided an opportunity to prove that he can be a starter.

I think the organization would be a little peeved about the situation considering the two year deal without the rule that lets us bury him. If we can't find a trade partner, he'll cost a grand total of 75k against the cap, so JBB can play the role of matchmaker and not really care.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
No, they started acquiring goaltenders and then it got out the reason was because Domingue wants to go somewhere he has a chance to compete to be a starter. That isn't happening here.
Every backup wants to play and start. I’d be dIsappointed if Louis didn’t want to become a starter at his age.

I think the issue was that the legend is under contract through 21 and Domingue would be a UFA in 20. This exchange gives them cost certainty in 20-21.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:32 AM

Yep we didn't want to be caught without a backup if Domingue put up another 20 win season and demanded more. It'll be fine. It might take a while to sort out but a move will happen. Condon might move as well once he proves he's healthy.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:36 PM
Jimmie Olvestad's Dimensional Speed

Goaltending around the NHL seems pretty set and really don’t think Domingue is a number one. If he really thinks he is a number one wouldn’t be smart to demand a trade publicly as it reduces Lightning’s leverage and at only $75K Lightning can afford to be patient about a trade. Don’t feel any GM is going to go after a .907 save %. Whether Domingue made demands or not Lightning had a chance to get an experienced backup goalie who accepts his role and has a career .913% and signs him for 2 years.