BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 04-18-2019, 08:59 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
He has made a commitment to start the season with Cooper. That's clear and you frankly don't fire a coach that won 62 regular season games. You don't know who was injured (we know that Hedman and Stralman were, but there are open rumors that Stamkos was also hurt).
Don't forget Vasy. I read that Vasy wants to play for Team Russia but he first had to be cleared as he was dealing with an injury and didn't want to make it worse.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:26 PM
Cooper's Law

Wouldn't surprise me if Point was banged up. He had a few maintenance days in March and April, and his play was noticeably off after around the trade deadline.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:18 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat664422 View Post
I lost interest in the regular season halfway through this year.
So did the players.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
He has made a commitment to start the season with Cooper. That's clear and you frankly don't fire a coach that won 62 regular season games. You don't know who was injured (we know that Hedman and Stralman were, but there are open rumors that Stamkos was also hurt).

But your conclusion that JBB's statements about Cooper means that his job couldn't be safer may or may not be accurate. No GM is going to say that a coach is in trouble - even if they are. You can't go into a season saying, maybe I'll fire the coach, maybe I won't. You have to express full confidence in him until the day he isn't the coach.
100% How many times do we hear out of a GM that the coach has their full faith & confidence only for the axe to fall within the week?

People are reading WAY too much into this, just like they do with line combos at practice.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
100% How many times do we hear out of a GM that the coach has their full faith & confidence only for the axe to fall within the week?

People are reading WAY too much into this, just like they do with line combos at practice.
I don't know. Very well could be reading too much into it. But his statements felt to me like calling out the players and ignoring the coaching (again, maybe I'm reading too much into it). Obviously I didn't expect him to go "He's on the hot seat," but he was dismissive of the whole series to me much in the same way Cooper was, and exactly opposite of how the players were reacting to it.

Look, I'll admit I'm putting a lot (not all) on Cooper. Cooper is now 3-4 in games facing elimination, and has not won one of them since 14-15 (the only season he has won a game facing elimination).
Old 04-19-2019, 08:40 AM
Johnny Shortside

This writer makes a vague insinuation at the end of this article that Cooper could be our St. Louis Blues Scotty Bowman.

QUOTE In the early days of NHL expansion, the St. Louis Blues reached the Stanley Cup final three consecutive seasons. And for three consecutive seasons they lost in a sweep.

It wasn’t long before they had a new coach behind the bench.

Nearly 50 years later, the Blues have never again gotten back to the Stanley Cup final. As for their coach who lost in the final in three consecutive sweeps?

Two years later, Scotty Bowman won his first Stanley Cup as a head coach in Montreal. He would go on to win a record eight more.
END QUOTE

Sorry but Cooper can't tie Scotty Bowmans shoes.

He failed to have this team ready to play for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, The Stanley Cup....and now he has lost the last 6 playoff games in a row.

Look, I like Cooper. I realize he has won championships at every level he has coached at. Maybe I should give him a (another) free pass, pass go, collect $200. Oh sure we have made ECF appearances, but the fact is, we lost....again. How long does this window stay open? How will he spend his extra TWO MONTHS of off season. Watching film, or on the course?
Fore.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2019...e-to-be-fired/

Last edited by gphockey; 04-19-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphockey View Post
This writer makes a vague insinuation at the end of this article that Cooper could be our St. Louis Blues Scotty Bowman.

QUOTE In the early days of NHL expansion, the St. Louis Blues reached the Stanley Cup final three consecutive seasons. And for three consecutive seasons they lost in a sweep.

It wasn’t long before they had a new coach behind the bench.

Nearly 50 years later, the Blues have never again gotten back to the Stanley Cup final. As for their coach who lost in the final in three consecutive sweeps?

Two years later, Scotty Bowman won his first Stanley Cup as a head coach in Montreal. He would go on to win a record eight more.
END QUOTE

Sorry but Cooper can't tie Scotty Bowmans shoes.

He failed to have this team ready to play for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, The Stanley Cup....and now he has lost the last 6 playoff games in a row.

Look, I like Cooper. I realize he has won championships at every level he has coached at. Maybe I should give him a (another) free pass, pass go, collect $200. Oh sure we have made ECF appearances, but the fact is, we lost....again. How long does this window stay open? How will he spend his extra TWO MONTHS of off season. Watching film, or on the course?
Fore.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2019...e-to-be-fired/
That's a ridiculous argument. We didnt lose to the late 60s canadians and bruins. We were are that ultra-talented team.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:55 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Especially idiotic because all 6 expansion teams were put in one conference and the Original 6 were in the other. One of those awful teams had to make the finals and it happened to be the Blues every time.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:59 AM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

Context is everything!
Old 04-19-2019, 11:29 AM
Cooper's Law

Default Jbb

JBB said in the paper that everyone was too blame for this players and coaches. I think Coop May be on a short string right now. If this team has a bad start or starts to fall during the season Groulx may be on his way here. Just the fact that we cannot beat the trap, and it seems to happen all the time may be enough. Coop has to figure out how to beat the bloody trap or he could be out of a job.