BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Talk

Old 03-28-2014, 05:58 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
You obviously don't work for a public agency.
Or work for tightly wound micro managers like many on USF's campus. Extremely stressful work environment at all levels.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:51 AM

I was going to expand my earlier response to Pete anyway since I wrote the first one in the middlle of the night.

Had the individual placed in their resume / application that they attended UK for 4 years, it may have been possible to revise the job description or perhaps even work out a situation by allowing the individual to work towards their degree.

But that apparently didn't happen. On his resume / application the individual stated that they had earned a degree. Once the person lies about whether or not they have received their degree, it is game over.

There was a comment about this being USF. Yes it's USF, but I'll bet, (and no I don't have scientific proof) that 90% of all American corporations would disqualify an applicant or fire them after they were hired if it is learned that they lied on a resume / application about their degree. We aren't talking about puffing up a resume, we are talking about flat out lying on an objective matter.

Where I worked about 15 years ago, the CEO got wind that one of his assistants lied on their resume. They were fired. Everyone in the agency had to prove that they had the degrees claimed in the resume / application and those who couldn't were also dismissed. There was a recent news story where someone reportedly claimed an advanced degree that was not even required for the position. When it turned out that they didn't have the degree, they too were fired.

I don't think USF is unusual in eliminating this individual for lying about their degree. And if you read the paper, it looks like his current employer is going to terminate him for lying on his resume with them.

This stuff happens with some regularity. The difference is that because it is a highly visible position it is getting ink in the local paper.

And there is a reason for being so hard on this issue. If the person is so totally without morals that they would lie about their educational background, is this really a person that you trust to be honest in any of their other dealings with the university? IMO, USF made the right call by eliminating this guy. It may be a black eye for a few weeks, but the potential damage that this guy could do by violating NCAA rules would be far greater. And if he is willing to short cut and lie on his resume, do you really believe that he won't take short cuts when the pressure is really on when he is trying to get some player to USF?
Old 03-28-2014, 04:13 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
And there is a reason for being so hard on this issue. If the person is so totally without morals that they would lie about their educational background, is this really a person that you trust to be honest in any of their other dealings with the university? IMO, USF made the right call by eliminating this guy. It may be a black eye for a few weeks, but the potential damage that this guy could do by violating NCAA rules would be far greater. And if he is willing to short cut and lie on his resume, do you really believe that he won't take short cuts when the pressure is really on when he is trying to get some player to USF?
Which is why Auburn University, which goes on probation once every 4-6 years and got caught red-handed paying Cam Newton (and got away with it) was extremely careful in their basketball coaching search and hired... Bruce Pearl.

Look, if cheating was really punished by the NCAA, you might have a point. But as Auburn shows us, cheating isn't punished. Not really. The net result is you get rewarded for cheating, which is why they didn't flinch to hire Bruce Pearl.

Which is why Louisville welcomed back Bobby Petrino with open arms.

Which is why Lane Kiffin got what amounts to a promotion after leaving Tennessee a dumpster fire of recruiting violations and got the USC job and after he left USC instantly got hired by Saban for the most prestigious CFB program in America. And he took noted recruiting cheater Ed Orgeron with him to UT and USC, as if to only further announce to the world his intention to cheat!

Again, these schools pretty much tell you up front they're going to cheat, but the economic calculus is such that it's worth it for them, even if they take the slap on the wrist if they get caught.

So I return to my previous statement: USF isn't Stanford, Vandy, Harvard, or Notre Dame. Cripes, academically, it isn't even Auburn, not to be mean about it. So I would argue to them that their institutional reputation isn't some gold plated asset they need to protect, and frankly it's probably better economic calculus for them to win and possibly take a hit if NCAA sanctions come (and frankly, a Pitino disciple isn't the same thing as a Calipari disciple in terms of risk of that).

And there's another perfect example! Calipari is crooked as the day is long! Everyone knows it. He paid for players at UMASS. He rigged grades for kids at Memphis. What was his punishment? He got one of the 2-3 most prestigious basketball jobs in America! Really, if hiring cheaters was really a bad thing, why do all the top programs do it?

Is it right? No. Is it the reality of college sports today? Hell yes.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:24 PM

UNLV coach Dave Rice, a backup guard on the Runnin' Rebels' 1990 national title team who has led his alma mater to three consecutive 20-win seasons, reportedly has been offered the USF job.

Recruiting-wise, his 2012 class was ranked seventh nationally by ESPN. Its cornerstone was Cleveland Cavaliers 6-foot-8 rookie Anthony Bennett, first overall pick of last year's NBA Draft. His 2014 class, though currently featuring only two players, is ranked 14th nationally by Rivals.com.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post

Had the individual placed in their resume / application that they attended UK for 4 years, it may have been possible to revise the job description or perhaps even work out a situation by allowing the individual to work towards their degree.

But that apparently didn't happen. On his resume / application the individual stated that they had earned a degree. Once the person lies about whether or not they have received their degree, it is game over.

To expand on this, my wife who retired in 07 from the Sheriff's Office as one of their polygraph examiners now has a business and provides pre-employment polygraphs for 6 Florida law enforcement agencies and one fire department. Those seeking employment range from a low level civilian entry position to a candidate for police chief to a child protection investigator and fire fighter. I can tell you without a doubt that when you tell her you were not truthful on your application or that you omitted something from the application you have a ZERO CHANCE of getting the position they were going to offer you. There are no exceptions as all do not care who you are or who you may know.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:12 PM
BP Staff

There's a wee bit of difference between those positions and coaching basketball, though, n'est pas?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
There's a wee bit of difference between those positions and coaching basketball, though, n'est pas?
Still a state agency.

If a person applying for a job answering a phone can be turned down so should someone that is suppose to set an example to the kids he/she has under his/her control.

You must lead by example. What message does it send when one just turns and shrugs their shoulders when something like this is brought out?

And pete, do you really think your employer would keep you on if they caught you in a lie or you misled them?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:29 PM
BP Staff

I'm not a college coach, and I just posted almost a half dozen examples of college coaches who are demonstrable cheaters/liars who got rewarded for what they did by getting hired into new/better jobs.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I'm not a college coach, and I just posted almost a half dozen examples of college coaches who are demonstrable cheaters/liars who got rewarded for what they did by getting hired into new/better jobs.
Oh I see, so if 6 coaches have been rewarded by some school it must be ok for all schools to follow suit.

As an alumni of USF I am proud that they took the action they did.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
Oh I see, so if 6 coaches have been rewarded by some school it must be ok for all schools to follow suit.

As an alumni of USF I am proud that they took the action they did.
Like it or not, lying and deception are a part of the successful coaching skill set.