BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 05-23-2019, 08:58 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
He fears her. No childish nickname.
He shrinks from strong and powerful women. Especially one that knows what buttons to push to get under his skin. She has to play her cards close to her vest with a restless caucus itching for an impeachment fight, but she's playing him like a violin.

BTW, he does have a nickname for her

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...of-pkg-vpx.cnn

"or, as I call her, Nancy"
Old 05-23-2019, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutznboltz View Post
He shrinks from strong and powerful women. Especially one that knows what buttons to push to get under his skin. She has to play her cards close to her vest with a restless caucus itching for an impeachment fight, but she's playing him like a violin.

BTW, he does have a nickname for her

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...of-pkg-vpx.cnn

"or, as I call her, Nancy"
That is one Trump moment of stupid that I'll never forget.

Her grandkids probably don't act as immature as Trumpy.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:13 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
I think you should elaborate on what you mean here. Rape and the sexual suppression of women has been going on for as long as history has been recorded and across every single culture in the world. Probably a hell of a lot longer than that if we take any credence with how terrible our closest animal relative the ape treat their female counterpart. If anything I think the past couple of centuries has been responsible for unwiring biological affinities thanks to the secular movement.
It's not the biological predilections I'm talking about. For example, most of the world's major religions have antiquated teachings about the roles of women in society. Christianity has a litany of teachings about "obeying" one's spouse. In Catholicism, women can't be priests. Etc. Islam goes a step further with teachings about women having to walk behind men and cover their faces. Religion informs culture (and vice versa, obviously), which has informed law even in the US where we've tried to keep church and state firewalled, constitutionally. This manifests itself in many overt and subtle ways from everything from wage inequality between men and women to the way media and the average person judges female politicians to a different standard than male politicians. It's even more severe a gap in countries in the Middle East, for example, where women may not even be allowed to drive, let alone be a political leader.

My supposition is that the Judeo-Christian ethic in the United States, for the many good things that have come with it, also informs American society's struggle with gender in ways that more secular cultures in Europe haven't (and therefore they've had no problems electing female leaders). I don't think it's an overtly conscious thing half the time, but it's there. It shapes our attitudes and our actions, and we need to be aware of it and confront it when it manifests itself.

Last edited by pete; 05-23-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:20 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
He fears her. No childish nickname.
Yes, her district is in San Francisco, but she was born and raised in a Baltimore machine politician's family. IOW, she's got some gangster in her.

As a communicator, I think she's lost her fastball (and her fastball was never even that awesome) and she comes off a bit dottering much the way old Bob Graham did toward the end of his Senate career. But she's still sharp mentally, and yes, Trump's terrified of her because he can't read her and she reads him like a book.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:31 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Congress reaches a deal to provide disaster recovery funds to the panhandle. It includes $900 million more for Puerto Rico. No money for the wall.

Drumf says he will sign it. But Ann Coulter will no doubt have something to say that will change his mind

Last edited by Donnie D; 05-23-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
It's not the biological predilections I'm talking about. For example, most of the world's major religions have antiquated teachings about the roles of women in society. Christianity has a litany of teachings about "obeying" one's spouse. In Catholicism, women can't be priests. Etc. Islam goes a step further with teachings about women having to walk behind men and cover their faces. Religion informs culture (and vice versa, obviously), which has informed law even in the US where we've tried to keep church and state firewalled, constitutionally. This manifests itself in many overt in subtle ways from everything from wage inequality to men and women to the way media and the average person judges female politicians to a different standard than male politicians. It's even more severe a gap in countries in the Middle East, for example, where women may not even be allowed to drive, let alone be a political leader.

My supposition is that the Judeo-Christian ethic in the United States, for the many good things that have come with it, also informs American society's struggle with gender in ways that more secular cultures in Europe haven't (and therefore they've had no problems electing female leaders). I don't think it's an overtly conscious thing half the time, but it's there. It shapes our attitudes and our actions, and we need to be aware of it and confront it when it manifests itself.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
What stats do you have for this, especially the "now says it's not consenusal," which is essentially a false allegation if I'm reading what you are saying correctly.
Read this link. You will be shocked. 80% of college women aged 18-24 do not report their offense to law enforcement. That is 80%.
https://www.rainn.org/statistics/campus-sexual-violence

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
And if you're a woman, and you know there's a swath of LEO's that accept Waiver's position as an article of faith, would you be in a rush to report your attacker?

We all, and men in particular, have inherited centuries of cultural pre-wiring about gender roles and gender equality that need the same scrutiny and forthright conversation that we've started to have about topics like race.
You are so full of yourself pete. Your attitude is in itself demeaning to women and those that try their best to bring these crimes to justice. This is one of the hardest, if not the hardest, when it comes to getting the victim to open up and talk to law enforcement. Your finger pointing in the name of trying to make me look bad is truly disgusting. I am sure that you not only spew this here but also to anyone that will listen to you.

I for one was asked several time to transfer to sex crimes or homicide in the mid 80's. I turned down both assignments because it take a certain person to investigate these type of crimes. When I was on the street I hated these calls as they stayed with me to this very day. They are gut and heart wrenching.

When I was in the robbery unit HCSO combined sex crimes with my unit. Luckily I had a very understanding supervisor who knew that I could not handle sex crimes and thus never assigned me one other than to place me in charge of a serial rapist stakeout team that was terrorizing the USF area.

I really hope that one day that neither you or a family member need law enforcement as clearly you have a dislike for them.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:35 PM

Assange indicted by a Federal Grand Jury on 17 additional U.S. criminal charges under the Espionage Act.

One would think that if he had information on Trump, and or the campaign as to their involvement in the HRC email scandal, he would be talking.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:53 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Your attitude is in itself demeaning to women
Suspect the women on this board would disagree, especially when compared to you.

Quote:
I really hope that one day that neither you or a family member need law enforcement as clearly you have a dislike for them.
I'm glad there are plenty of law enforcement officers who are not so thin-skinned that they cannot handle honest critique or engage in some measure of introspection in order to improve their service to the people they are sworn to protect. You, unfortunately, don't appear to be in that group.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:56 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
Assange indicted by a Federal Grand Jury on 17 additional U.S. criminal charges under the Espionage Act.

One would think that if he had information on Trump, and or the campaign as to their involvement in the HRC email scandal, he would be talking.
Talking to who... lying crook Bill Barr?

And unlike the first round of Assange indictments, this round actually does look like a fascist Trojan Horse designed to attack the Fourth Estate.