BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 12:58 PM
XO Sniper

If we keep Cally we will have an ample sample size to decide if/how he fits with the team before giving him a contract offer.. can always trade his rights when summer comes if we decide against keeping him as well.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
No. Unlikely to be retained beyond this season. Looking for way too much money.

I like Callahan but I am TERRIFIED that TB might try and give this guy some money. I'd be unhappy with anything over 5 for him. He's NOT a top liner. He's a 2nd/3rd line guy with all the heart in the world.
The similarities to Malone are scary.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Paul Ysebaert's Kwik Pick

To those that are panning this trade, SY had a deteriorating locker room and a captain that wanted out, would not address media last night after putting up a -4 and only gave him one place he could be traded to. To be honest its pretty impressive to me that he got what he did.

2nd lots of folks here have been bitching this team has no heart, no battle, no team first (second and third too) mentality and no balls. Well, guess what we just got a guy that has all 4 in spades. No he's not a pure scorer but he brings lots of great qualities to surround our young guys with for the balance of the season.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
FYI, Marty is no saint and has really shed light on what some were saying about him last year with Boucher (and the Captainship), but the pass Yzerman is getting is laughable to me. As Yzerman stated, he had the final say if he wanted to. And as someone else stated, it showed me where his loyalties stand for the Lightning. Something tells me Marty did not believe for one moment that Yzerman lobbied and worked hard to get him on the team and that broke him. Multiple sources have said they never got along, and the Phil quote where Marty was worried about being traded makes me think there is a TON more going on than what we know.
It's not that we give him a pass, it's that we actually think he did the right thing as a hockey professional. He did what was best for Team Canada and they got the gold. There's no room for "loyalty to the Lightning" in that position. What if it was the other way around and he put pressure on Stamkos to keep sitting out games for the Lightning because of his "loyalty to Team Canada" and wanting him rested up to win him a gold medal in Sochi? No. You put the hat on and you do that job the right way. Just because he could have been a corrupt son of a bitch if he wanted to doesn't mean he should just do it.

I'm not seeing the ego trip at all. If Yzerman was all about putting solely his fingerprints on the Lightning, he would have shipped off both Marty and Vinny the first year he came into town and gone full rebuild mode. No, he kept Marty and Vinny and we made a run in 2011. He didn't immediately ship Marty for that first horrible deal when the trade request came in, instead he held out for some high draft picks, and I'm sure he seriously considered not trading him at all this season.

Last edited by Hoek; 03-05-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:16 PM

So now there are 3 questions to be asked:

1) How does the team respond?

2) Does this help us in the playoff push?

3) How much can we get for Cally's UFA rights at the draft?
Old 03-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Cooper's Law

So much for my conciliatory statement that virtually all Lightning fans would like Marty to stay and wish him well if he doesn't. But if it makes people feel better to take the low road, blame St. Louis 100% ('cause, you know, everything in life is black & white like that) and label the single greatest competitor in Lightning history with every slimy epithet in the book, hey, that's freedom of choice. And this whole thread is dead meat.

So have fun righteously kicking the hell out of the NHL scoring champion who got us through the past three months still in playoff contention and inspired a generation of kids to keep plugging even if they're the underdog. He gave his all for over a decade and then some, consistenly overachieving while being underpaid and overlooked; and thanks to FSY's magical people skills, we now get to rely very, very heavily on St. Steven and his shiny new wheels to lead us the rest of the way!! His "Seen Stamkos?" spring of 2011 better not be any indication of how that's going to go, or else it's early tee times...again. (And anyone who thinks Stamkos is a lock to be a Bolt for years and years and years to come might be in for a rude awakening. You really believe FSY would give two shits about being known as the guy who got rid of Lecavalier, St. Louis and Stamkos? LOL)

It's all good. FSY himself said he didn't expect to make the playoffs this year anyway. Hope he's as wrong about that as he's been about....I guess nothing. He's a steely-eyed mofo!
Old 03-05-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
It's not that we give him a pass, it's that we actually think he did the right thing as a hockey professional. He did what was best for Team Canada and they got the gold. There's no room for "loyalty to the Lightning" in that position. What if it was the other way around and he put pressure on Stamkos to keep sitting out games for the Lightning because of his "loyalty to Team Canada" and wanting him rested up to win him a gold medal in Sochi? No. You put the hat on and you do that job the right way. Just because he could have been a corrupt son of a bitch if he wanted to doesn't mean he should just do it.
Where I will ask what I keep asking with no answer, was he paid (and was it substantial) for his hockey Canada position? Because if not, I disagree completely he did the right thing, in that you don't sacrifice your paid employer to benefit another organization you work for for free. If I work for BP, and then voulanteer for say Oceana, you better believe that if I publicly denounced and disrespected BP I would be gone. But, whatever, this has been discussed way to much. And I stand by the thought that Canada be damned (hell, not like Kunitz or Nash did so much that it made that an unavoidable decision and that Marty was undeserving), if he had completely loyalties to this organization and/or Marty, it wouldn't have been a question. Which goes back to my original premise that there was a LOT more behind the scenes between those two we don't know, and I think Yzerman shares equal blame in this.

You know, Scobo asked me when this first happened about if I cared about the team or just Marty. It honestly got me thinking, and to be perfectly honest, I don't know the answer at this point. Hell, I was one of Marty's biggest critics last year, and if I remember correctly, was against him getting the C. But, it did get me thinking, all I seem to do with this team is get pissed off and upset. And it's because I don't really like most of the players/personel here. I don't like the attitude of most players (except a few rookies), don't like the defense, I'll make no bones I don't like Yzerman (as I said, no evidence of my feelings, just the feel I got from him), and I don't like Callahan. Maybe Scobo was right, maybe I should go take a good long look at my loyalties at this point.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Yzerman did fantastic to get what he got when he deal with anyone other than Sather. If he waits until the offseason and the NMC expires then you not only have a disgruntled captain for the rest of the year but you also have a record of not treating your guys right which would absolutely be a factor in future negotiations. Sure he could have gotten "more" by waiting but the long-term ramifications could possibly destroy Yzerman in ANY future negotiations with Stamkos or anyone else.

Take the emotions out of this and the blame is squarely on Marty IMO. He let something that had nothing to to with the Tampa Bay Lightning possibly destroy a decade + of legacy.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Dave Mishkin's Larynx

90 minutes to go. I seriously doubt the Bolts do anything else.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Cooper's Law

Man, this is a tough day in Tampa Bay.

It's hard not to be sad.

It's hard not to be mad.

My brother said it best ... we're smad.

Putting emotion aside, an objective bird's eye view of this situation starts with Yzerman failing to put his player on Team Canada. In hindsight, that was a huge mistake because it would have absolutely averted everything that went down afterward. It doesn't make me feel any better that Yzerman resigned as Canada's GM. That just affirms that he shouldn't have been in that position to begin with. I'm still a firm believer in YZ as the Lightning head honcho, but this whole mess was an unnecessary disaster.

Martin St. Louis is the greatest Lightning player in history (unless or until Stamkos surpasses him). St. Louis is an amazing success story. He helped lift a nothing franchise into relevance and Stanley Cup glory. He brought tremendous pride to Tampa Bay fans. He was practically a saint.

But he destroyed all of that with an unbelievably petty, egotistical move to force his way off of an exciting young playoff team. It's easily one of the most shocking things I've ever seen a leader of a sports team do. Yes, his legacy is tarnished. Yes, he deserves to be booed for this because he absolutely hurt the team's chances this season. And they could have won the whole thing.

Maybe they still can, and Ryan Callahan could help steady this wobbly ship, but there's one more problem here. Callahan wants a $6.5 million/multi-year contract, and there's just no way he's worth that. So unless Yzerman flips him in the next hour or unless Yzerman Jedi mind-tricks him into accepting something like a four-year, $20-million contract extension, it sure seems like the Bolts just traded one of the best scoring forwards in the game for a couple of high draft picks.

And that makes me smad.
Closed Thread