BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

When all said and done I find it funny that these jack asses come out with this stuff on the day they all know Marty and SY are traveling and can not be contacted.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
I honestly have no doubt that St.Louis did in fact ask for a trade after he didn't make team Canada. Anyone that seen the press conference following the first game after he wasn't selected seen how dejected the guy was. I think it's completely legitimate that he could of, out of emotion asked for a trade. If that happened then there's a very real possibility that Yzerman did/does have a deal on the table with the Rangers for a trade. Ultimately I believe it's in St.Louis hands. St.Louis is 38 and you have to imagine that he isn't going to sustain this production 2-3 years from now. If Yzerman get's a forward heading into his prime years (Callahan) and not break the bank, then I think there's a very real possibility of this deal happening.
I don't know if Huckleberry Finn has a computer now or what, but I don't have to imagine that highlighted statement. People have been singing that song for so long it sounds like a Gregorian chant, and I'm still waiting for those who claimed he'd "lost a step" six years ago to come back and tell us where they think he "found" it again. Sure it'll have to happen some time--he's not going to be the first 90-year-old NHLer--but seeing what plenty of others before him have done who were 40+ and not in Marty St. Louis condition, I see no reason not to believe that for him, 40 is the new 30. If NHLers are in the next Olympics, or if Marty isn't in the NHL at that time, he could go again in 2018. If we're playing tell others what thay have to imagine, you have to imagine it's at least possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
Maybe Sather told him that. Until Kypreos reveals his source, that is nothing more than a rumor with hairy legs.
And hairy balls. Donkey balls! --Ow! Hee haw, quit it...rumor's already dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalskate View Post
Seems very very un Marty like to put himself ahead of his teammates, mid season and ask for a trade to a non contender.... Pretty much goes against everything he has proven to stand for his entire career.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaej View Post
I fully expect us this to be a completely forgotten topic in less than a year. I don't believe there is, ever was, or is ever going to be anything real to this "rumor".
And this.

Last edited by Top Shelf; 02-25-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
Anyways, what we need is Yzerman to make a statement on this.
Nah. I think we can all think of examples where this does not one iota of good whatsoever. He can come right out & say there's no truth to this and the rumor mongers will carry on as usual.

Quote:
I honestly have no doubt that St.Louis did in fact ask for a trade after he didn't make team Canada.
Were you there?

Quote:
Then why would Nick Kypreos make up a tweet directly saying that Marty asked for a trade.
Yeah, a member of the Canadian hockey media not named Bob MacKenzie completely making something up or blowing it waaaaay out of proportion never happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
When all said and done I find it funny that these jack asses come out with this stuff on the day they all know Marty and SY are traveling and can not be contacted.
You bring up an interesting point, had not thought of this.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:23 AM

Ok, so now that I think we all agree the Rangers made the call, and it was shot down quickly, let me throw out another scenario for fun.
  • Boomer is convinced Marty for Calahan is happening.
  • Most people now say/believe Sather made the call to the Lightning, saying something like "Hey, if Marty is unhappy, we will take him on in exchange for Calahan." Yzerman states Marty is not available.
  • A Rangers executive came out and said they would do that in a heartbeat, but that it is not on the table. Also says that there is interest in Calhan, and that the Lightning are one of the teams interested.

As far as I know, those are the facts. I think we all think that his proposal of MSL and a pick for Calahan is beyond ridiculous. So, what if Boomer's source isn't completely off. What if it didn't end with "Marty is not available." What if it went "We aren't trading Marty, but we are interested in Ryan, and would like to work a deal out." And for the last 4 weeks, this has been being negotiated. And what if in the end it is a 1-1 deal with us adding a potntial pick. All this has lead to me believing that there may be a deal in place, and I think it could be Purcell or Connolly for Calahan.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:44 AM
Cooper's Law

Though I've long defended Purcell, at this point I wouldn't jump off the Skyway if he had to go. He's slipped from 3rd to a tie for 5th on the team in scoring with Stamkos absent for 3 months, you have to give quality to get quality, and we have forwards who can hopefully step up and fill in Purcell's production. Why they'd trade him for another forward when we need D is anybody's guess
Old 02-25-2014, 09:15 AM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

even a trade for purcell and packaged picks make no sense at all.

Where are you going to put Johnson/Palat..... Drouin next year. and we have another center coming up in the next couple years. There is virtually no room as it is and adding another 6.5$million/top 6 would overspill into more issues.

I would rather just drop a top 9 forward (aka purcell/malone) and pick up some defense. Our rookies have shown themselves to be more than capable in each time of need.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scobo_24 View Post
even a trade for purcell and packaged picks make no sense at all.

Where are you going to put Johnson/Palat..... Drouin next year. and we have another center coming up in the next couple years. There is virtually no room as it is and adding another 6.5$million/top 6 would overspill into more issues.

I would rather just drop a top 9 forward (aka purcell/malone) and pick up some defense. Our rookies have shown themselves to be more than capable in each time of need.
Which if you trade for Calahan and don't resign, you are essentially doing.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:26 AM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
Which if you trade for Calahan and don't resign, you are essentially doing.
yes you are correct; but where is the benefit? you are cutting st louis for nothing?

we dont have money to add another $6+million top forward. Palat/Johnson/Stamkos/Kucherov/Hedman will all be getting higher contracts over the next couple years and we need to keep that in the back of our minds.

I really think the only teams that should be interested in Callahan should be low depth teams that need a star player to anchor the top-6. We have this and we are certainly not low at depth in the forward position.

I guess we are all just.....
Old 02-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

I just know I don't want to be a fan of a team who is upgraded in the top six by Callahan...

There's no spot for him on this team. We have wingers in our system who I'd take over him in the top 6 easily.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:48 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
Nah. I think we can all think of examples where this does not one iota of good whatsoever. He can come right out & say there's no truth to this and the rumor mongers will carry on as usual.

Were you there?

Yeah, a member of the Canadian hockey media not named Bob MacKenzie completely making something up or blowing it waaaaay out of proportion never happens.

You bring up an interesting point, had not thought of this.
So is that why Bob McKenzie said in his blog yesterday that it is believed Marty asked for a trade?
Closed Thread