BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 10-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Dirt Liner

I forgot something in my earlier post:

- What has Vrbata done in three games to warrant playing on the top 2 lines?? IMO he has been invisible.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by missK View Post

- What has Vrbata done in three games to warrant playing on the top 2 lines?? IMO he has been invisible.
Agreed. I'vd been singularly unimpressed with his play, all over the ice. I think Ouelette could have provided more spunk than what I've seen thus far..But, I'll keep hoping for some spark...

And yes, for 10 to get more minutes than 91??? Please........
Old 10-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by missK View Post

He shoots the puck? Some what anyways...look at the Bolts stats for the past 3 games combined...I think he's 2nd with 6 total shots, Vinny leads by far with 13 and then it drops off big time from there. Really pathetic. Marty only has 3 and Stamkos only has 3. Just really bad. I thought Melrose's whole "system" coming in was to get these guys to shoot the puck more?!?

SOG totals for past 3 games combined

*Also take a looksie at Mike Smith's SV%: .931. I don't see how people are bitching that these losses are his fault and that we don't have a #1 goalie. He's working his ass off and should've had a win for his effort. Not saying much but his's 4th in the lead with SV%. The 3 guys above him - have all wins. He does deserve better.

Last edited by jaydeedub; 10-12-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Cooper's Law

Default system

the problem is not the system, it is the lack of a system. these guys have talent but they need a system to work in and make use of their talents. Not being an X's and O;s kind of guy that makes things more difficult. Maybe Barry is trying to put a system together but needs more time to implement it, I do not know but he is going to run out of time before to long, PK/LB/BL have to either show a lot of patience or hire a good X's & O's guy to come in, which will threaten Barry a bunch.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:24 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydeedub View Post
He shoots the puck? Some what anyways...look at the Bolts stats for the past 3 games combined...I think he's 2nd with 6 total shots, Vinny leads by far with 13 and then it drops off big time from there. Really pathetic. Marty only has 3 and Stamkos only has 3. Just really bad. I thought Melrose's whole "system" coming in was to get these guys to shoot the puck more?!?

SOG totals for past 3 games combined
Thanks for doing that. I was wondering what Malone's shot totals were. Averaging 1 per game. Not near good enough (STL either). I do think Malone can be our Ryan Smyth type, but my gosh man, stay out of the box.

As for Vrbata... it's just that. He's invisible. He hasn't been taken off of Stamkos' line except for some light PP duty, so he hasn't been on the ice. And they can't get the forwards the puck in the offensive zone anyway. He and R2 and Vinny are they only ones so far who are willing to shoot with an opportunity, and most of Vrbata's opps have come from bad angles. You can tell he has skills, it's just a matter of creating space for him and Marty and Vinny and your skill guys.

That's a coach's job to design it and the players' job to execute it.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Let's see - we aren't playing the 2nd line to protect Stamkos and we aren't playing the 4th line because, well they are the 4th line.

And we thought Torts was wearing down the first line last year playing only 3 lines. Melrose is basically playing 2 lines.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Let's see - we aren't playing the 2nd line to protect Stamkos and we aren't playing the 4th line because, well they are the 4th line.

And we thought Torts was wearing down the first line last year playing only 3 lines. Melrose is basically playing 2 lines.
Honestly, I think the nearly 20 minutes of PK time per game is really skewing the ES ice times. Until we play a more disciplined game and get the penalties down, it's going to affect alot different things about the offense and defense.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Honestly, I think the nearly 20 minutes of PK time per game is really skewing the ES ice times. Until we play a more disciplined game and get the penalties down, it's going to affect alot different things about the offense and defense.
Still does not mean Stamkos can't be out there on the power play. What's the harm really ?
Old 10-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Saw this on HF (worse every day!) & had to share:

Quote:
Originally Posted by random annoying Canucks fan
Melrose should be fired for his treatment of stamkos. Look at wayne gretzky and his treatment of turris to see how it's done right.
Q: How do you know you're in trouble?
A: When people imply that Wayne Gretzky's coaching is an improvement over your team's.