BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 06-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Dirt Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
For whatever it's worth, new VP of Hockey Operations Brian Lawton was Malone's agent before Lawton gave up being an agent to pursue a job in a front office.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that, that might be why they made this deal even after Malone repeatedly has said he was going UFA on 7/1.

As for the King of Diving, I hate that our new owners think this is acceptable behavior. Maybe something will happen this summer and he will retire rather than sign with us. Please dear god help me on this one!
Old 06-28-2008, 04:57 PM
BP Staff

I like Malone. I like his game and I think it could be better suited for an effort = offense system rather than a finesse/skill system like the Torts-Lightning or Pitt.

Much the way Halpern succeeded when the 2nd line last year played a grind it out style, Malone could do some damage. And unlike Richards, Stamkos can play that way.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Dirt Liner

From Damain's blog

Quote:
Roberts' agent Rick Curran said Roberts did, indeed, want to play closer to home. But he had such a blast playing last season with the Penguins' youngsters, such as Jordan Staal, he would love the chance to work with Steve Stamkos. "Rob gets excited by stuff like that," Curran said. "He's pretty enthused. ... If we can get something done, he's not against the possibility. It could be fun."

"We've been talking so much about changing the culture of our dressing room to make sure it's 20 guys going in the same direction," Koules said. "There's nobody who epitomizes team and ruggedness and willing to win a hockey game than Gary Roberts. We want that voice and leadership in our room."
I don't like Robert's at all. If he's cheap and by that I mean $1M or less it might be okay but more than that for a 42 year old often hurt diver, NO THANKS. Actually I rather he not be here at all.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:18 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
For whatever it's worth, new VP of Hockey Operations Brian Lawton was Malone's agent before Lawton gave up being an agent to pursue a job in a front office.
Thanks.

That should eliminate most of the nothing-before-July-1 talk that went on when Lawton was representing him. That's a definite "in" right there.

There's your new No.12 .. and I wonder if Roberts take Jokinen's 10.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

A Roberts signing is problematic for Ryan Craig's future. He's been qualified, so that says that the organization is interested in bringing him back for another year. However, he is waiver-eligible, and would be subject to getting plucked by another team if he was signed to a two-way deal and assigned to Norfolk.

It's getting crowded in the forward ranks if both Roberts and Malone is signed, and assuming another Top 6 RW UFA is also signed...

Prospal-Lecavalier-St.Louis
Malone-Stamkos-FA?
Jokinen-Halpern-Ouellet
Roberts/Craig-Tarnasky-Artyukhin/Ward

A possible Roberts signing also indicates to me that the organization might be looking to Tarnasky to center the 4th line instead of bringing back Chris Gratton.

I just don't see how there's room for Gratton if Roberts, Artyukhin, and Craig are signed, along with Jason Ward who is already under contract.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Thrilled about the Malone move.
(but christ, its fricken June 28 )
Very ill about Gary Roberts.
Its something i will have to deal with, but dislike him immensely. I will pray that side of it falls through.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Chainsaw Charlie

Just what is that waste Roberts going to teach Stamkos? they finer arts of diving?

I tried to tell you people that the circus was coming early this season.

"F"ing Gary Roberts
Old 06-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Did anybody else catch this in the tsn article??

"Adding some intrigue to the story, sources tell TSN that last week the Lightning hired former Penguins' player Greg Malone as their head pro scout. Greg Malone is of course the father of Ryan."
Old 06-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
I tried to tell you people that the circus was coming early this season.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:11 PM
BP Staff

This is like the end of a movie where all kinds of identities are revealed and the crime is solved.

If Malone does NOT sign now before or after July 1... then it's almost a colossal failure.

Forecaster on Malone (they have him on TB already):

ASSETS: Has impressive size and strength. Can play both center or wing. Is accomplished in the defensive zone and shows excellent offensive potential.
FLAWS: Must constantly face the scrutiny that comes with being the son of an NHLer (Greg Malone). Has to prove he can maintain a top-six forward role over time.
CAREER POTENTIAL: Top six forward.

Trade analysis:

The Tampa Bay Lightning acquired wingers Ryan Malone and Gary Roberts from the Pittsburgh Penguins for a conditional fourth-round draft pick in 2009.
What does it give the Tampa Bay Lightning?
The Lightning are apparently serious about turning things around quickly. In acquiring exclusive negotiating rights to both Malone and Roberts, they are hopeful that at least one (and possibly both) veterans will choose to sign with Tampa Bay before the July 1 free-agent signing period commences.

What does it give the Pittsburgh Penguins?
The Penguins were not going to re-sign either Malone or Roberts, since they are looking to get key pieces such as Marc-Andre Fleury, Evgeni Malkin and possibly even Marian Hossa under contract for the long haul. Therefore, they add a solid asset in a fourth-round pick in next year's draft. Furthermore, the pick will turn into a third rounder should Malone sign with the Bolts.

Last edited by chad; 06-28-2008 at 07:14 PM.