BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 06-26-2008, 09:57 AM
The Bulin Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
In the interview with ownership they said they had some great puck handling d-men and mentioned Kuba, Picard, OB and said Ranger had some ability. Boyle wasn't mentioned until the end and as an afterthought.
When asked about UFAs they said there was only one they would not be interested in because he was a puck-moving defenseman and we already had one of the best in the league in Dan Boyle. Didn't mention Kuba, Picard, OB or Ranger.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
In the interview with ownership they said they had some great puck handling d-men and mentioned Kuba, Picard, OB and said Ranger had some ability. Boyle wasn't mentioned until the end and as an afterthought.

I find this funny because Ranger is a better passer than all the D-men mentioned there.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:06 AM
BP Staff

One thing sticking out in my mind... Melrose kept saying he knows players in the NHL that he wants from other teams. I don't know if that was just a general statement, but typically new management will bring in their preferred player(s) quickly.

Torts sold Boyle to OK saying he made the system work. The system's gone. How much value does Boyle have, and does it match his contract, more importantly?

All that said, the ball's in Boyle's court with the NMC.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
One thing sticking out in my mind... Melrose kept saying he knows players in the NHL that he wants from other teams. I don't know if that was just a general statement, but typically new management will bring in their preferred player(s) quickly.

Torts sold Boyle to OK saying he made the system work. The system's gone. How much value does Boyle have, and does it match his contract, more importantly?

All that said, the ball's in Boyle's court with the NMC.
Good point. I think numerous people on this board have questioned how effective Boyle will be with the reigns pulled in. Melrose said be brought Wes Walz on board to implement some of the Minnesota defensive strategies. Certainly doesn't seem fitted to Boyle. Now that I write it, didn't Kuba hate that system too?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

When asked about the budget the team is working with this summer, Chainsaw Charlie said they were going to shoot for the moon and then basically make it work from there.

That tells me that they are going fishing and if they catch a big one (or a couple of big ones), then we might see one or more trades later to make the payroll work.

I don't think the OK Corral is actively trying to move Boyle prior to July 1. Depending on which UFA(s) are signed by the club will determine if the Boyle rumors gain legs IMO. His value would seem to be highest to those clubs that missed out on Campbell and Redden sweeps, and that will also coincide to the time after TBL has done most of their FA shopping. Perhaps we hit the jackpot. Perhaps we are looking at Brunette and Hagman as leftovers.

That being said, I could see that perhaps OK leaked that Boyle is not an untouchable commodity by any stretch. If Chad and others don't feel Boyle is worth $6.5M in a post-Tortorella era system, then surely the new hockey minds in town have figured that out too.

Then again... this ownership seems to have some very strong ideas about what they want and what they don't want. They clearly didn't want Torts, and they shed no tears tipping the hat to a future HOF'er on his way out the door. If they don't want Boyle -- he's as good as gone. Hard to say.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:36 AM
BP Staff

Re: Backstop above...

Yup.

Although... in his intro PC, Melrose said something to the effect of he DIDN'T LIKE everything about what Minnesota did, but he liked the way they played defense.

I heard that as an own-zone, some neutral zone thing, but then Melrose said they would attack. Minny doesn't attack. So I think TB dmen would have some freedom, just not the Tortorella extreme.

Last edited by chad; 06-26-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:58 AM
BP Staff

I wouldn't cut bait on Boyle at this time, for the following reason:

If the Lightning get Rolston, plus adding Stamkos, plus Lecavaleir and St. Louis, that's four burners who can get behind the opposing defense and receive long stretch passes. Boyle's the best we have on those long stretch passes. I could see his statistics ticking up with Stamkos and Rolston on board.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Cooper's Law

This is silly. Koules just said (in front of STH, local and national media no less) that the Bolts weren't going after a puck-moving dman because "we already have the best in the business." If they do a complete 180 on that statement, then the circus really will have come to town. That would be flat-out insane. I can't believe so many of you are giving credence to yet another run-of-the-mill Canadian media rumor.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
This is silly. Koules just said (in front of STH, local and national media no less) that the Bolts weren't going after a puck-moving dman because "we already have the best in the business." If they do a complete 180 on that statement, then the circus really will have come to town. That would be flat-out insane. I can't believe so many of you are giving credence to yet another run-of-the-mill Canadian media rumor.
Between the positive statement Koules just made and the deal Boyle just got (which makes him near impossible to move at this time), I would generally tend to not believe this.

HOWEVER, it's become pretty clear since January (when OK took over) that these guys do not keep their mouths shut. Every single move they have made was leaked to the media ahead of time. That's the only thing that makes me say "maybe", though I think they'll either be unable to move Boyle or they'll get a terrible return.

I really don't think his deal is terrible for us, because he was relatively underpaid on his last contract. Problem is, it doesn't mean anyone else would want to pay him that.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Johnny Shortside

Koules, Melrose mock Boyle rumour http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/...s-melrose.html