BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 12-10-2018, 12:58 PM
Barry Melrose's Hairstylist

Default Louie - #2 NHL Star of the Week

Yeah for Louie! #2 NHL Star of the Week - so glad he is getting recognition for his play and shutting up all those that were down on him! He could be a #1 on some of the other NHL teams - really setting himself up for a nice future!

The best part is once Vasy gets back - we can rest both of them until the playoffs instead of loading up Vasy and giving Louie a game here and there. Wonder how long it will take until someone comes knocking on the door for a legit goalie!???
Old 12-10-2018, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Very happy for him & proud of him for not letting in 5 a game this week, but I don't see him as a starter. If he gets a starting gig then more power to him, but right now he's a great backup, and it's been ages since we had a reliable backup. It's exciting to not be completely screwed with Vasy out for such a long time.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:12 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody W View Post
Yeah for Louie! #2 NHL Star of the Week - so glad he is getting recognition for his play and shutting up all those that were down on him! He could be a #1 on some of the other NHL teams - really setting himself up for a nice future!

The best part is once Vasy gets back - we can rest both of them until the playoffs instead of loading up Vasy and giving Louie a game here and there. Wonder how long it will take until someone comes knocking on the door for a legit goalie!???
So, who in your eyes do you see jumping up and down for a goalie that nobody wanted to pick up a year ago for free, and with his very good week, raised his stock to be the 43rd ranked goalie in goals against and 33rd goalie in save percentage? He's doing fine as a backup, but having one good week and then one bad week is exactly why other teams need a goalie. Don't think they will be clamoring for another one that does that. If he can string together a month like last week, maybe (though he seems so slow to me, probably compounded by the fact we watch Vasi back there when it's not him), but considering the week before he had a .865 save percentage and 3.65 GAA, lets pump the breaks on calling him a legit #1.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:30 PM

Yep not a starter, at least not in the short term. Some guys put it together late. He's right where he needs to be.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:46 PM

Good for him. This is a guy who was out of the league who battled his way back. Getting a little recognition is deserved and has to do wonders for his confidence. He gave up 5 goals in his last 4 games. One of which was against Colorado.

That’s not too shabby.

Another great pickup by the Lightning brain trust who seems to identify players that no one else finds, I.e. Gourde, TJ, and to a lesser extent Kucherov, Point and Palat each of whom were drafted much later than they would be today.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Cooper's Law

Just let Jody have his/her crush.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:41 AM
Barry Melrose's Hairstylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Just let Jody have his/her crush.
Just because I don't trash talk players like a lot of you GUYS do because you know all there is to know about hockey doesn't make it a crush! I think he could be a #1 goalie for a team - he's still young and with the right team and coaching, he could carry a team - he's certainly helped the Bolts out while Vasy has been out which MOST OF YOU did not think he could do!

Is it so hard to give credit where credit is due???
Old 12-11-2018, 07:58 AM
The Bulin Wall

I'm very happy with what he's done and hope he does get a chance to carry a team someday.

Can he? The verdict is still out, but he's doing everything we've asked of him in Vasy's absence. It's nice to have a reliable guy.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody W View Post
Just because I don't trash talk players like a lot of you GUYS do because you know all there is to know about hockey doesn't make it a crush! I think he could be a #1 goalie for a team - he's still young and with the right team and coaching, he could carry a team - he's certainly helped the Bolts out while Vasy has been out which MOST OF YOU did not think he could do!

Is it so hard to give credit where credit is due???
He's been great at times, but you ignored my question. Where is he a substantial upgrade at the #1 position? He might get there. Heck, I hope he does, he seems like a good guy. He has been a good backup, but I don't see where he is a starter in this league yet.

Maybe I should put it another way. Look at the teams that have traded for NHL backups to be their starters, and look at the numbers they put up the seasons they were traded (these are the goalies I could think of off the top of my head):

Devin Dubynk (AZ): 19 games, 2.72 GAA, .916 Save %
Antti Raanta (NYR): 30 games, 2.26 GAA, .922 Save %
Cam Talbot (NYR): 36 games, 2.21 GAA, .926 Save %
Scott Darling (CHI): 32 games, 2.38 GAA, .924 Save %

Now look at Domingue so far: 18 games, 2.95 GAA, .905 Save %

The closest to him would be Dubynk, who played on a MUCH worse team, and FYI had the best goalie stats on the Coyotes that year. Domingue is on a ridiculous team and his stats are not close to the starter.

I just don't see a team calling for him right now. Like I said, if he keeps up his play over the last week, maybe a Philly calls in the offseason to compete for a 1A role, but I don't see him getting an outright starting job yet, and I'd be very surprised if teams were very seriously calling about him.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:07 AM
BP Staff

I like Louie just fine as a #2, but there aren't a heckuva lot of other places in the world he'd be getting 5-6 goals of support a night or be playing behind a defense that includes two players the caliber of Hedman and McDonagh.