BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 11-20-2017, 08:58 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
The entire GOP is disowning Moore.
A lot are not, but worst off the white house is pretty much backing him just to get some more votes.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:56 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
I think you know what I was going to follow up with. Let's be honest, the Washington Post is a left leaning newspaper, pretty indisputable.
"Leaning" ideologically is very different than being partisan, and I think that's a very important nuance people miss these days.

Most of the higher caliber newspapers in the United States and some TV networks may lean left ideologically on certain issues (others, particularly where corporatism is concerned, papers like the NY Times lean right), but they attempt to present the news in a fair and nonpartisan way. Hence why CNN, which has been accused of being the "Clinton News Network" broke the news of Franken's second accuser today. If they were partisan agents of the Democratic Party, they would've pulled a Fox News and done a hard-hitting segment on which hamburger emoji is better (a la what Fox did when Mueller's indictments were handed down) instead. There was a Vox article that was posted on the board recently to this effect, pointing out that the left gets the majority of its news from these non-partisan, left leaning ideologically sources, which still maintain some level of impartiality politically.

Most of the right doesn't get its news from those types of sources anymore. Fox News is a laughably transparent, hideously obvious propaganda apparatus for the Republican Party. "News" sites like Drudge, Brietbart, etc. are even worse. And, God forbid you wade into the cesspool of something like InfoWars. These sources a partisan. Flat out. They may have minor ideological distinctions (Drudge is more establishment Republican while Brietbart and InfoWars are alt-right and more extremist) but there's little question which party these outlets serve.

I think you'd be wise to apply the same lens to interpreting the views of people you read on this board, too. Zeyk, for instance, is absolutely an ideologue, but he's not overtly partisan, IMO. Waiver is the opposite. His ideological bent is squishy (hence why he claims moderation and independence) but he's undoubtedly the most partisan person on this board, IMO. The rest of us probably fall in different spots on the scales in between.

Anyway, my point is this: don't fall into the right wing propaganda trap that outlets like the NY Times and WaPo are in league with the Democratic Party hatching political intrigue. They don't operate the same way as right wing news outlets mostly do because they're built around a different operating concept (journalism versus advocacy/propaganda).

This message is hidden because WaiverWire is on your ignore list.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:12 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
A lot are not, but worst off the white house is pretty much backing him just to get some more votes.
The Alabama GOP, with the exception of a few smaller local organizations like the Tuscaloosa Young Republicans, are still backing him fervently. All politics is local when it comes to an election like this, so I fear reality is a little distorted on the ground in the state.

And by attacking Franken on Twitter but not saying a word about Moore, Trump is tacitly supporting him and providing a cover of false equivalency. Cripes, by implying in his Tweet that there's a tape of Franken actually raping Lesley Stahl, Trump's actively fueling a disinformation campaign. There are probably quite a lot of people in Alabama who believe Al Franken physically did something to Lesley Stahl.

Last edited by pete; 11-21-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:15 PM
BP Staff

Actually, let me amend what I said, because the White House support isn't quite so tacit. Kelly Anne Con Job said they want Moore to win so they have one more vote for their tax bill. Good Lord, that in of itself would've been a 10 bell scandal in the Obama years. Barely moves the dial these days that the White House openly admits to supporting an alleged serial pedophile for purely political motivations.