BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 04-27-2015, 10:49 AM
The Bulin Wall

"They just have to play the system..."

Guy Boucher said this too.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

New thread up for tonight
Old 04-27-2015, 11:36 AM
Jimmie Olvestad's Dimensional Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Finally, I know that most of you think that Drouin is the savior of the team, but either he is being groomed slowly (BP prospects idea) or the coaching staff has realized that he is not the talent that most of you think he is. There have been a lot of high picks that were busts in the NHL. I hated the pick from day one and every game that Seth Jones demonstrates that he is going to be a star in this league makes me hate it even more.
I expect that bold-italics line is the appropriate notion. My sentiments too.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
Detroit doesn't want a contact free/obstruction free game vs the Lightning. They tried that in Games 1 and 2. They got skated through and around like pylons.

Against a slower team? Sure. Having an obstruction free, regular season officiating rules game vs. the Lightning benefits the Lightning significantly more than it does them. So, even if the Lightning were to adopt '95 Devils Hockey, it plays to the strengths of the Red Wings vs. the Bolts. They're simply better at playing a slower, older, shittier version of hockey than we are.

That's been the problem with the Lightning all year. They only know one way to win. Speed. Denied that speed, they lose possession and get dominated.

The way to counter the Detroit Devils hockey, you need a PP clicking at ~20-25%. They need to pay for taking liberties. I think the Bolts are 2 - 25 on the PP.
Bingo. Love this post with one additional point.

When the Wings clutch and grab they dictate the style of play. This coupled with the Wings spending the VAST majority of this series with the lead means they can play their system and their game.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:52 AM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
For Game Six, were I Cooper, I'd play the following lines:

Palat/Johnson/Callahan or Killorn
Drouin/Stamkos/Kucherov

It's not like Kucherov's setting the world on fire with the Triplets. Play your two high skill guys with Stamkos and see what shakes lose. What's the worst that can happen? You lose 5-0 instead of 4-0? Roll the dice.
I like this. Personally Kucherov has been as disappointing as Stamkos in this series.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
I've been frustrated with Sustr before no doubt, but there's no way you just give up on the guy like that. He's been fine this postseason too, so not sure why the fingers are being pointed at him now.
This. Sustr's level of play (and effectiveness) has increased in the playoffs. If anything the signs I have seen might have raised his ceiling a bit. He's more assertive and while not overly physical he isn't backing off. I've seen more than a few instances using his size to separate players from the puck along the boards and while yes we would love to have the d-man to rock the puck carrier but by pinching him off and taking the puck you are accomplishing the same goal.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Good point on his physical play as evidence that those injured shoulder rumors are most likely bunk.

However, I have to point out the one major problem I've got with this rampaging excuse (IOW, several posters have mentioned it) that his linemates aren't good enough or skilled enough. Just look at his miserable performance on the power play. Just look at how hard Killorn was working yesterday, only to cycle the puck to Shamkos and see the captain out of position or relieved of the puck with one easy poke. I would argue that Stamkos' play is what has dragged down that line.

Besides, we've all heard the linemates debate before with Vinny. And the final result was that he was toast by the time we started discussing whether or not he was still capable of making his teammates better. I still say (and said this when it was Vinny) that if a guy needs a specific kind of winger to succeed then he's not a superstar and certainly isn't someone you want to back up a Brinks truck for. No thanks. I prefer to pay guys like St. Louis and Johnson who can succeed with anyone.
What you see in the bolded part of Bolthed's post above happens WAY too often; way, way too often. What you see is NOT the fault of his, as some say repeatedly, linemates of the moment. This falls on Stammer himself. It appears that reliance on Stamkos for making the right play is something the coaches recognize as an exercise in futility. Not a super-big contract in the offing I suspect.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Hedman who's far more experienced and better still makes a ton of mistakes. There's not a D in the league who is perfect.
Witkowski is much more physical and probably has a heavier shot but besides that Sustr is better. Gudas wasn't good in a top 4 role because of his foot speed but was good on the bottom pair where he faced more 3/4th liners. His offensive game was pretty good which I don't think Witkowski has so Luke would be Gudas without the offense which is the type of player you can get on waivers any week. It would be great if Sustr picked up the physical play but he out hit Carle last year so he's not the only lacking, his passing is good and makes smart pinches with an active stick, his shot is bad which may never become NHL level. He's still raw enough to keep around and develop.
I used to be a Redwing fan and as heartbraking as it was to watch Nick Lidstrom make foolish plays (sometimes several in a game) I never once thought the Wings should get rid of him. The very BEST players make mistakes. Sustr IS developing. I cringe when he makes mistakes. I still think he belongs on this team.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Tim Taylor's WrapAround

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester47 View Post
How about, "Safe is Death"?!!? They could use a little more of that attitude.
I forgot about that one until just now. Thanks so much for the reminder Jester. One of my all time favorites!!!!! Yes they could definitely use a bit more of this type attitude!