BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The BP Front Page

Old 08-03-2020, 06:10 PM
BP Staff

Default NHL Postseason Round Robin Game Day: 8-3-20 Capitals v Lightning

Definite room for improvement as the Lightning hold on for dear life for the victory.

WSH-2
TB-3 (SO)

Andrei Vasilevskiy allowed two goals on 33 shots before turning away two of three in the penalty shot session for the (postseason) SO win. Weird game for Vasilevskiy. Positionally and in terms of tracking the puck, he was on his game, but his inability to squeeze the puck led to two gift goals that gave the Caps momentum and almost cost the Lightning the game. Vasilevskiy redeemed himself with an excellent performance from the Third Period on, but once we get to the point where the bullets flying are even more real, soft goals can't happen. Cannot.

First Period
12:53 TB Kucherov (1), (Point)

Second Period
7:48 TB Stephens (1), (McDonagh, Maroon)
17:24 WSH Panik (1), (Gudas, Eller)
19:32 WSH Kuznetsov (1), (Orlov, Backstrom)(PP)

Third Period
NO SCORING

Overtime
NO SCORING

Shootout
WSH- Oshie
TB- Point, Kucherov

The first half of that game the Lightning's depth really seemed to dominate on the forecheck and from a possession standpoint as the grinded Washington to a halt and threatened on more than one occasion to push the advantage to three goals and put it away. But, two soft goals and the Caps forecheck got going and you got a pretty embarrassing display by the Lightning from 17:24 of the Second Period on. You had coverage busts. Turnovers. Odd man rushes. Faceoffs getting lost cleanly in the defensive zone. It wasn't good, and only some luck and Vasilevskiy regaining his wits managed to help the Lightning snatch this one from the jaws of defeat. Not good enough. This wasn't good enough to be sustainable once they hit seven game series, and the really scary part for me is that Washington did that to the Lightning without their number one defenseman (Carlson) in the lineup. Jon Cooper needs to light some butts on fire because what they put out at the end of this game may get them embarrassed against Boston. Playtime is over.

Mitchell Stephens had a greasy goal, 2 shots, and 4 hits in 10:03. He was also 67% on a dozen draws. Big plaudits given to Stephens by the coaching staff throwing him out to win a d-zone draw on a 4-on-3 PK with 9 seconds left in OT. And he scrambled it and then cleared it on his own. Big time.

Box score and extended statistics from NHL.com.

read more

http://www.boltprospects.com/content...ls-v-lightning
Old 08-03-2020, 11:54 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Panik, oh hi there
Old 08-04-2020, 07:23 AM

Vasi is a pretty acrobatic goalie so have to think that once these round robin games end he'll be good and limber. That break in the season looks like it stiffened him up
Old 08-04-2020, 08:27 AM

Stephens should keep playing when Stamkos returns. If TJ continues to be ineffective, as he was for nearly the entire game, I’d sit him, have Gourde center the third line with the new guys and keep Stephens on the fourth line. Goodrow was also invisible, but his size is at least a factor that Johnny doesn’t have. Remember when TJ could dominate a playoff game? Yeah, that was like 5 years ago.

Wish there was a way to get Schenn into the lineup. He's a difference-maker. But I kinda think we played the right 6 dmen, so he’s still on the outside looking in.

One last thing – give the Caps credit. They’ve got a helluva team, probably improved their roster from two years ago. I know not getting a single power play sucked and should not happen again, but Washington might be the favorite, and we did get the W.

Last edited by Bolthed; 08-04-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:52 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Stephens should keep playing when Stamkos returns. If TJ continues to be ineffective, as he was for nearly the entire game, I’d sit him, have Gourde center the third line with the new guys and keep Stephens on the fourth line. Goodrow was also invisible, but his size is at least a factor that Johnny doesn’t have. Remember when TJ could dominate a playoff game? Yeah, that was like 5 years ago.

Wish there was a way to get Schenn into the lineup. He's a difference-maker. But I kinda think we played the right 6 dmen, so he’s still on the outside looking in.

One last thing – give the Caps credit. They’ve got a helluva team, probably improved their roster from two years ago. I know not getting a single power play sucked and should not happen again, but Washington might be the favorite, and we did get the W.
This. Better said (in fewer words) than my post in the other thread.