BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-13-2020, 04:36 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
Where GP is trying to get to makes total sense.
Day drinking again?
Old 07-13-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphockey View Post
I cannot speak for Stamkos.
But you are likely correct, why would Stammer leave Tampa?
Obvious reasons like family, health, change of scenery, wants to win, make more $$ and on and on.

Reference article from a couple years ago to support your case when he signed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...sion/86530384/

The only scenario I can envision is he is treated poorly, a toxic environment, or no chance to win the cup.
Gronk playing for the Patriots had a brilliant jackass head coach, but his body was beat up and he retired...but, wait, Brady in Tampa, a year off, feeling good, suddenly he is in. BTW, you will love this guy down there.

So no, I don't have a viable reason other then maybe he wants to go back home, can't see winning in Tampa....or more $$$.
But it still doesn't excuse JBB from not putting some feelers out there with other GM's.
If you don't put a line in the water, won't catch fish.

Sorry about the drunken fall and head injury, may as well crack another one, beer that is.
I'll ask again. Do you honestly believe any combination of tj/palat/gourde/killorn is better than stamkos?
Old 07-13-2020, 06:11 PM

In many ways this is like 05. We had a plan and it went out the window because of the lockout. Suddenly, Khabi was a free agent and we didn’t have cap space to sign Vinny, Marty, Boyle and Khabi. We signed 3 of them because Boyle took a team friendly deal and Marty agreed to take what was left to stay.

We had a plan this year and it went down the tubes because of the virus. The cap was supposed to be $84. If we trade Killorn and Dump Truck, we had the ability to sign the 3 RFAs. Next year we dump salary to Seattle, the following year we could trade Johnson and Palat’s contract expires. Life is good.

But that’s not reality. The NTCs that allowed us to sign these complementary players for a million less than market are going to screw us. Do I wish we could trade Johnson or Gourde? Sure. But it’s almost certain not to happen.

If I’m JBB, I try and trade Killer and Paquette as soon as the playoffs end. I have a discussion with the 3 to try and talk them into 1 year deals with the promise that we will do all we can to free up Cap space next year. I try to get Seattle to take McDonagh. I make Sergachev the No. 2 LHD and sign him next year to an 8 year deal using Most of McDonagh’s money. I cobble enough money to sign Cirelli to a 3 year deal. I let Cernak go, if necessary.

The problem is, we traded Foote, Howden, Libor and others. So we don’t have a lot to replace the holes.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:27 AM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Where GP is trying to get to makes total sense. He's not wrong that significant salary will need to be shed in order to make the roster work next year with Cirelli/Serge/Cernak, all three of whom are now essential core pieces. Ironically Serge is the least essential with McD under contract, but he's also got the highest upside...

And he's not wrong that Stamkos has gotten hurt quite a bit.
Thank you for understanding where I am coming from and your breakdown.

Killer would be a start. To reiterate, I love Stammer, but I just feel we should shop him while he as SOME worth left. He has had so many significant injuries, and he has been in the league a while now.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:46 AM

Old 07-14-2020, 10:21 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
In many ways this is like 05. We had a plan and it went out the window because of the lockout. Suddenly, Khabi was a free agent and we didn’t have cap space to sign Vinny, Marty, Boyle and Khabi. We signed 3 of them because Boyle took a team friendly deal and Marty agreed to take what was left to stay.

We had a plan this year and it went down the tubes because of the virus. The cap was supposed to be $84. If we trade Killorn and Dump Truck, we had the ability to sign the 3 RFAs. Next year we dump salary to Seattle, the following year we could trade Johnson and Palat’s contract expires. Life is good.

But that’s not reality. The NTCs that allowed us to sign these complementary players for a million less than market are going to screw us. Do I wish we could trade Johnson or Gourde? Sure. But it’s almost certain not to happen.

If I’m JBB, I try and trade Killer and Paquette as soon as the playoffs end. I have a discussion with the 3 to try and talk them into 1 year deals with the promise that we will do all we can to free up Cap space next year. I try to get Seattle to take McDonagh. I make Sergachev the No. 2 LHD and sign him next year to an 8 year deal using Most of McDonagh’s money. I cobble enough money to sign Cirelli to a 3 year deal. I let Cernak go, if necessary.

The problem is, we traded Foote, Howden, Libor and others. So we don’t have a lot to replace the holes.
Best post on this thread.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:47 AM

I think we should trade Stamkos for Susan Collins and a gerrymander to be named later.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Best post on this thread.
Thank you.

Watching the reruns of the playoffs, Hitchcock was quoted as saying the Lightning would be the team of the decade winning multiple cups.

But instead of having a year to re-sign Khabi, he became a UFA. We traded Modin and Richards in 2 awful trades trying to replace him. Then the cowboys came to town and what could have been the decade of the Lightning turned to shit.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:56 AM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Zo View Post
I think we should trade Stamkos for Susan Collins and a gerrymander to be named later.
Off topic, Some if you will be pleased to know I did not vote for Collins yesterday and it’s extremely doubtful she gets my vote in November. Jared Golden D has his hands more than full to retain his congressional seat and for what it’s worth, I think he loses in district 2.

Great breakdown Donnie, and man those cowboy years were bad.

I have heard on radio up here whether or not the Seattle expansion draft will be the same as when Vegas plundered the league when they drafted. Discussion centered around teams able to protect more players.

But that’s is an interesting option to move salary,

Last edited by gphockey; 07-15-2020 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:55 AM

They have already announced that the expansion draft will be the same as Vegas.