BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 03-14-2019, 08:55 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
I wish the Dems would stop their bickering and get behind Bernie, fully, now, and get it done. Instead unfortunately it's going to likely be the same shit-show of the Dem candidates beating each up other and offering up the battered winner to Trump on a silver platter.

Bernie 2020.
LOL. That was the Sanders camps complaint last time, that there was a nominee anointed. And now you want your person preselected?

Didn’t seem to hurt the republicans to have 13 candidates last time.

Lets see if he can get minority votes this time before you make him king.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Beto's Iowa q & a this morning was impressive. He is extremely likable which may be more of an asset in the general than any policy he may adhere to. His age is an asset as well.

He would be a great VP candidate should (shudder) Biden be the nominee.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:26 AM
Brett Connolly's Gum

With Beto in, I’m wondering if it gives Biden pause.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:55 AM
BP Staff

Beto entering is essentially RIP for Sanders’ campaign because Beto’s going to take a large chunk of his support with millennials. The Sanders people know this and they’re no doubt crestfallen by this development.

Biden’s path to success never was through the same airspace as Beto’s. Biden’s got to sell himself as A.) the most electable candidate in the GE so he scoops a chunk of strategic-minded white liberals and women who are scared shitless of a second Trump term, and B.) as a third term of the Obama Administration in order to capture African American support. An Obama endorsement is something Biden really really needs, though, or he risks being outflanked by Harris quickly on the latter front.

Beto’s going for white liberals, youth, and women, and his appeal is as a generational communicator like a Kennedy or an Obama. Does he have the goods, though? I personally think he ends up in the VP slot.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:26 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
We have the single greatest mechanism to call forth the genius of our fellow human beings. This democracy … can bring the ingenuity, the creativity, the resolve of an entire country
- Beto in Iowa.

Beto is campaigning for President in 2003.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 03-14-2019, 01:44 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

I want Biden to be on the stage so someone from his generation is taken to task by the left for four decades of being wrong on almost everything they've done in politics and the imperialist foreign policy of this country. This time we may not be called sexist when we do it too!

Unlike Bernie, he's also just an old white guy. Calling Bernie that, kinda dismisses the fact that he's Jewish, 1st generation American from an immigrant family who was half deleted from existence by the Nazis. One might call that kind of dismissal, anti-Semitic.

I would love to have Biden defend his suppressing of three other women's testimonies regarding Clarence Thomas' sexual harassment, leaving Anita Hill to stand alone. Crime Bill, Patriot Act, Deregulation of the Banks, Bankruptcy protection for the CREDIT CARD COMPANIES. Read up on how he was the driving force behind weakening bankruptcy laws so as to adversely pound the people seeking protection in bankruptcy. Warren should LOVE that Biden is running. She'll absolutely fucking destroy him in today's political climate. https://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/20/o...-on-women.html

Get 'em all on the stage, attack their policy positions and history. The instant any one of them, regardless of who they are, attempts to red-bait or stray from legislative record or policy positions we should boo them mercilessly.

Another thing, keep in mind that getting the change we need in this country doesn't end with electing the President. We need a president who leads a movement of regular people to make the change we need happen. Biden doens't lead. Beto doesn't lead. Harris, Gillibrand, Cloudbootjar don't lead. Warren leads. Sanders leads. The rest attempt to manage the people of the country while serving their donors. They're middle management bureaucrats. They're not visionaries working for the people above all else.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 03-15-2019, 07:59 PM
BP Staff

There's a rumor floating around Biden is trying to get Stacey Abrams to agree to run as a ticket with him from day one on the VP slot. Never been done, but strikes me as shrewd AF politically if true.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:11 PM
Cooper's Law

She’s great. Won my attention big-time last fall.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:32 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
She’s great. Won my attention big-time last fall.
She is. But she's never been more than Minority Leader in the Georgia Legislature. She doesn't have the experience to credibly run for POTUS herself at the moment, which is also something she's rumored to be considering. Up until this point, the thought was she was either going to end up running for Senate in 2020 or waiting until the next Governor's race. Let's consider this rumor now, though...

As I've said, Biden's greatest draws in a primary are that he's considered by many to be the most electable GE candidate head-to-head with Trump and African Americans largely would view Biden's candidacy as a third term for Obama. His greatest weaknesses are that he's considered too old by most of the electorate, too centrist by one third of the primary electorate, and he hits zero of the identity politics bingo possibilities.

Consider a world, and yes this sounds like an episode of The West Wing, where Biden pledges to serve for only one term if elected, after which he's passing his support and the torch to his charismatic, very progressive, female African American running mate, who gets four years of top-level, on-the-job training to quickly elevate her from someone whose sole experience was Minority Leader in the Georgia Legislature prior to holding the job.

And, I don't think it's completely far-fetched. I believe Obama sees Abrams very much as a rising star and as a protege, in a way, of his. I also believe Obama feels a loyalty toward Biden, and while he likely cannot endorse Biden in the primary, this move would, IMO, only further cement the concept that the Biden/Abrams candidacy is an Obama third term. It potentially locks Biden's hold on African Americans, because Abrams can potentially attack dog any attempt by Harris to outflank him on the trail, slices a nice chunk of support from women away from Harris and Warren, and at least offers an olive branch to white liberals who are leery of Biden's centrism but might be persuadable based on Biden's electability and their fear of a Trump second term.

Putting all of the potential critiques about Biden's history and Obama's presidency that I'm sure others are about to bring up aside... strategically I find it tantalizing. When Fiorina agreed to be Cruz's running mate late in the Republican primary cycle in 2016, many people thought this would be a potential wave of the future. As the most established, and therefore arguably stale, brand in the Democratic field, Biden could use a novel hook politically. This would be a pretty damned novel hook.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:05 PM
Brett Connolly's Gum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
She is. But she's never been more than Minority Leader in the Georgia Legislature. She doesn't have the experience to credibly run for POTUS herself at the moment, which is also something she's rumored to be considering. Up until this point, the thought was she was either going to end up running for Senate in 2020 or waiting until the next Governor's race. Let's consider this rumor now, though...

As I've said, Biden's greatest draws in a primary are that he's considered by many to be the most electable GE candidate head-to-head with Trump and African Americans largely would view Biden's candidacy as a third term for Obama. His greatest weaknesses are that he's considered too old by most of the electorate, too centrist by one third of the primary electorate, and he hits zero of the identity politics bingo possibilities.

Consider a world, and yes this sounds like an episode of The West Wing, where Biden pledges to serve for only one term if elected, after which he's passing his support and the torch to his charismatic, very progressive, female African American running mate, who gets four years of top-level, on-the-job training to quickly elevate her from someone whose sole experience was Minority Leader in the Georgia Legislature prior to holding the job.

And, I don't think it's completely far-fetched. I believe Obama sees Abrams very much as a rising star and as a protege, in a way, of his. I also believe Obama feels a loyalty toward Biden, and while he likely cannot endorse Biden in the primary, this move would, IMO, only further cement the concept that the Biden/Abrams candidacy is an Obama third term. It potentially locks Biden's hold on African Americans, because Abrams can potentially attack dog any attempt by Harris to outflank him on the trail, slices a nice chunk of support from women away from Harris and Warren, and at least offers an olive branch to white liberals who are leery of Biden's centrism but might be persuadable based on Biden's electability and their fear of a Trump second term.

Putting all of the potential critiques about Biden's history and Obama's presidency that I'm sure others are about to bring up aside... strategically I find it tantalizing. When Fiorina agreed to be Cruz's running mate late in the Republican primary cycle in 2016, many people thought this would be a potential wave of the future. As the most established, and therefore arguably stale, brand in the Democratic field, Biden could use a novel hook politically. This would be a pretty damned novel hook.
You need to accept Heilman’s call when it comes.