BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 08-10-2020, 07:40 AM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Default Lightning vs Blue Jackets Game 1

Here we go.
Time for some redemption from last season.

Go Bolts

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/columbu...ng-2020081120/
Old 08-10-2020, 08:03 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

They could've avoided this nightmare match-up by playing like they gave an F against PHI.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:29 AM

Scary thought. Tampa is the only team to bring less than 30 players. With Hedman hurt and Ruuta Unfit to play, we are at a point that the only extra dman we have right now is Luke Schenn. We are 2 injuries away from having 5 dmen.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:11 AM

Man we played that whole season just to end up playing Columbus without Hedman again smh
Old 08-10-2020, 09:33 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
Scary thought. Tampa is the only team to bring less than 30 players. With Hedman hurt and Ruuta Unfit to play, we are at a point that the only extra dman we have right now is Luke Schenn. We are 2 injuries away from having 5 dmen.
IMO, Schenn is a good match against the Jackets forwards. You need size and strength to out-muscle those guys on loose pucks down low.
I really donít understand why you would not play him. If it were the Leafs, I get it....
Old 08-10-2020, 09:43 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Man we played that whole season just to end up playing Columbus without Hedman again smh
The best way for the team to bury its demons.

This is their best shot. After this, the 2nd tier core is getting blown up, either by losing RFAs or trading guys. There is defensive depth, forward depth, and a much tougher to play against roster.

That said, get well soon, REAL soon, Hedman. You too, Stammer.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:48 AM

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:55 AM

A fully-healthy Lightning roster should be the favorite against Columbus, without question. No amount of voodoo or head-games or reverence to last year's unlikely result can change that.

The Lightning without both Stamkos and Hedman? Much different story. Between the two teams, Hedman is the best defenseman, but Werenski and Jones are easily #2 and #3, and I'd put the shutdown pairs (Gavrikov/Savard and McDonagh/Cernak) on even footing. Columbus has better depth on D too --would easily take their 5/6/7 over the Lightning's. Columbus has proven that its strategy can suppress a one-line team, or at least hold them to mostly-harmless outside possession. The Lightning are certainly deeper up front than Toronto, but without Stamkos, perhaps not by an overwhelming margin.

No question that Columbus is not scaring anybody up front, though they have some interesting pieces, and their forwards are pretty responsible across-the-board even if they aren't scoring. Pierre-Luc Dubois is showing he's at least capable of taking that next step from a really good #2 center to a legit #1. Liam Foudy probably won't ever get a gift as big as the one the Leafs gave him last night again, but he's speedy and fearless. And I'd take Boone Jenner over either Blake Coleman or Barclay Goodrow, full stop.

I think you're going to see a lot of trendy CBJ picks from the prognosticators, including some in 4 or 5. I wouldn't go down that rabbit hole. The way the two rosters are currently constructed, with the Bolts' injury woes factored in, this series is pretty even in my eyes. But if Hedman or Stamkos return, I think that's enough to tilt things to the Bolts.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:14 PM
Cooper's Law

Columbus generates a lot of their offensive game from the blue line which worries me a bit given how Vasi has let in a couple weak point shots. The Columbus forward group doesn't scare me at all. No Panarin, no Duchene, probably no Josh Anderson unless his shoulder is better.

This is the type of series that the bolts brought Coleman and Goodrow in for. Time for them to step it up a bit.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:59 PM

Zo you think a TON more of the Jackets defense than I do.