Old 06-24-2014, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow01 View Post
Button has us going

19- Sanheim
28- Scherbak

I'd take that if we got those two. There are others I'd have taken over Sanheim at 19 but if we walk with those two I'm ok with it.
Button is a serious outlier on Scherbak, having him ranked outside his Top-30 when just about everyone else has Scherbak at between 12-20ish. I can't see Scherbak slipping to 28. That's mind boggling. There's something about Scherbak that Button just doesn't appreciate.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:06 PM
BP Staff

Lateral skating and first step. Scherbak isn't an elite skater. Not a bad skater, but no one will confuse him for Jeff Skinner. I suspect that's his knock.

If it went down like that, it would be a lot like the Koekkoek/Vasilevskiy draft where I'd walk away from that happy, overall, but knowing the second guy we took is better than the first. It'd also lead to about an hour of me being uber-pissed off about the Sanheim pick before we pulled the trigger on taking Scherbak to salvage the night.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Updated my rankings aggregation list, now with 10 sources and most with Top-60 rankings. Here's the first 30+ ranked players, with average ranking, min, max, and standard deviation. The top 5 players with the highest variation in ranking is 1. Dougherty 2. McKeown 3. Kamenev 4. Ho-Sang 5. Virtanen

Old 06-25-2014, 03:37 AM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Send a message via AIM to Sean

I'd be really excited to leave the first round with Sanheim and Barbashev.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:39 PM
Paul Ysebaert's Kwik Pick

I have a question for the group. Josh Ho-Sang. I've been watching and reading on him the past day and can't get it out of my head. I think this guy has clear top 10 and maybe top 5 talent in this draft. He plays nasty and fights like a bugger. I know the questions about his personality etc are well documented but this guy hasn't really done much wrong and is still young and will mature in the right environment. He played with Windsor so the lightning probably are very familiar with him from watching Slater Koekkoek and Slater would surely have an opinion on him.

In a lot of ways this kid is Brad Marchand or some like player but perhaps with better skills. DeAngelo spews forth hate comments at teammates and refs and they are talking he still can go 1st round but this guy is slipping.

We talk about BPA alot I think at 19 and for sure at 28 this guy will be the BPA.

Should we draft him?
Old 06-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Cooper's Law

If he fell to pick 50 I'd take him, but I don't think he has a chance to go in the first round. Character questions never fail to ruin a players draft stock. If I remember correctly, I believe Erne was touted as a first round pick for much of last year but ended up falling due to questions about weight/heart to play. He seems like the type of player that there isn't a question of if, but when he will do something stupid, whether it be a cheap shot, over celebrating, or just being mouthy. It's tough because he does seem like Marchand and I don't know if that's a bad thing to have IMO.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

From what I've read on Ho-Sang his only 'character' problem is he has an ego. Nothing I've seen makes me think he'd be a cancer, just that he has a very high opinion of himself.

If I was in his position, can't say I wouldn't have a bit of an ego either.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Paul Ysebaert's Kwik Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
If he fell to pick 50 I'd take him, but I don't think he has a chance to go in the first round. Character questions never fail to ruin a players draft stock. If I remember correctly, I believe Erne was touted as a first round pick for much of last year but ended up falling due to questions about weight/heart to play. He seems like the type of player that there isn't a question of if, but when he will do something stupid, whether it be a cheap shot, over celebrating, or just being mouthy. It's tough because he does seem like Marchand and I don't know if that's a bad thing to have IMO.
That's just it. DeAngelo has actually done stuff (said stuff to teammates and refs) to get suspended. This guy hasn't. No one is questioning his effort from what I read. Its all ego and bluster and I get that that doesn't fit in the humble always say the right thing NHL but this guy is like Marchand and quite a bit like Subban on the bluster play on the emotional edge front. I want more edge on this team.

You are right on Erne, and so we took him. I think I might roll the dice on this kid if I were in SY's shoes. I can't stand Marchand and Subban but I'd take them on my team in a heart beat.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Cooper's Law

Interesting...According to Joe Smith, Yzerman said that he may be open to moving the 19th or 28th pick and has gotten some calls about the picks. I wonder if he's thinking about moving from 28th into the mid second round and recouping another mid 4th or 5th round pick?

If he did that then going after Ho-Sang would make some since and could be a steal.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:26 PM
BP Staff

He needs to be looking to acquire a d-man with this year's firsts, because moving next year's firsts should be off limits.