BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLightning26 View Post
The lightning had tough guys to go after Cooke in the final 10 minutes. They (yeah, u Tarno) chose not to for some idiotic reason...
I think it was that whole "if the game is out of hand and you go after someone late, everyone gets suspended" rule.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBolt View Post
I think it was that whole "if the game is out of hand and you go after someone late, everyone gets suspended" rule.
Not to mention Torts' perma-benching of Roy and O'Brien at the end of the season.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLightning26 View Post
The lightning had tough guys to go after Cooke in the final 10 minutes. They (yeah, u Tarno) chose not to for some idiotic "Turtleshella" reason...
Tarnasky should start trying to find his place on the team....there's a few guys I look forward to seeing play, especially without Turtleshella's leash on them.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Cooper's Law

Adam Hall is an upgrade on Gratton. Smarter, more in control, better defensively, better offensively and just as good at faceoffs. That Gratton trade was an absolute abortion. The only silver lining is if it helped us in any way to get Stamkos.

This new version of the Lightning, sans enforcer, will have a few guys who will drop 'em. But one has to wonder if we won't eventually be forced to sign a heavyweight or bring up Koci to take care o' bidness. Atlanta, for one, is almost guaranteed to have nothing going for itself as a team, and can therefore be expected to goon it up quite frequently.

We'll have to wait and see, but that Matt Cooke situation cannot happen ever again.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:40 PM

Especially with that monster Valabik....I'd hate to see what he'll be like when he gets his NHL legs under him.

Though Hall may be an upgrade on Gratton in age, I wouldn't trade Gratton's willingness to stand up for his teammates for anything. Chris is another that I think was held back by the Turtle's "system".
Old 07-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Johnny Shortside

Is their anyone within the system that can play and fight? Smaby? Mihalik? They both have the size and skill but do they drop the gloves?

I mean next season I fully expect SOB and Malone to stand up for the team and to some extent Vinny (although he shouldnt really have to).

Just realised the monster that is Artyukhin is coming back, he will surely play with the necessary toughness that means an enforcer type player isnt needed?
Old 07-10-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Is their anyone within the system that can play and fight? Smaby? Mihalik? They both have the size and skill but do they drop the gloves?
Smaby's partner in college was Matt Greene, and had the rougher edge. Mihalik, hard to say....kinda like Bambi on the occasional fight....doesn't have the mean streak to do it.

Quote:
I mean next season I fully expect SOB and Malone to stand up for the team and to some extent Vinny (although he shouldnt really have to).
O'Brien hopefully will be given free reign, and can hit and fight as he pleases.

Quote:
Just realised the monster that is Artyukhin is coming back, he will surely play with the necessary toughness that means an enforcer type player isnt needed?
Nothing worse than the one NHL fight he got into, it was against Chris Gratton, and though to the commoner, Artyukhin got the deceision, any realist would put him down for keeping the visor on. Lord knows how many punches Chris threw that hit that visor. He'll be an effective aggitator, with rare size, but will lose respect fast if he continues to fight with it on.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Popcorn Server

Default Enforcers

Probably because they were scared they'd end up in the same situation as Roy.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
Smaby's partner in college was Matt Greene, and had the rougher edge. Mihalik, hard to say....kinda like Bambi on the occasional fight....doesn't have the mean streak to do it.

O'Brien hopefully will be given free reign, and can hit and fight as he pleases.

Nothing worse than the one NHL fight he got into, it was against Chris Gratton, and though to the commoner, Artyukhin got the deceision, any realist would put him down for keeping the visor on. Lord knows how many punches Chris threw that hit that visor. He'll be an effective aggitator, with rare size, but will lose respect fast if he continues to fight with it on.
Ah ok thanks for the info, and yeah thinking about it I remember seeing that fight on youtube. Wonder how much his time in the russian leagues has changed his game in that regard.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Jay Feaster's Cheeto Encrusted Thumb

I don't recall too many Russians that were fighters. Cheap shot artists and big with the stick work, but not fighters.

I'm sure someone will come up with an exception or two.