BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The BP Front Page

Old 05-23-2018, 10:50 PM
BP Staff

Default NHL Playoff Game Night: 5-23-18 Capitals at Lightning

Soul searching time in the Lightning organization.

Eastern Conference Final

WSH-4
TB-0

Washington Wins the Series 4-3

Andrei Vasilevskiy allowed 3 goals on 22 shots for the loss. None of the three goals he allowed were soft, but in this moment he's got to make a big situational save on at least one of the Burakovsky breakaways to give his team a chance. This will be an interesting offseason for Andrei, who is renowned for his work ethic. He had an amazing first half, a subpar second half, and an uneven playoffs. It was altogether more good than bad, but I would think he's going to focusing on improving his consistency and some other minor fixes to his game like making sure he stays more upright when he goes down in the butterfly and making sure he consistently pushes out to cut down the angle on shooters.

First Period
1:02 WSH Ovechkin (12), (Kuznetsov, Wilson)

Second Period
8:59 WSH Burakovsky (1), (unassisted)
16:31 WSH Burakovsky (2), (Carlson)

Third Period
16:17 WSH Backstrom (4), (unassisted)

The simplistic thing to do would be to look at the 4-0 score tonight and say the team didn't show up. I already see some national talking heads doing just that on social media. The fact of the matter is that the Lightning were the victim of the cruel hand of the hockey gods at one of the most inopportune moments imaginable. They outshot the Caps 29-23 and I suspect outchanced them by a greater margin. Did they surrender a goal very early in the game? Sure. But that wasn't because of a flat start. Tip your cap to Ovechkin for being a sniper who can pound that shot off the rush without a ton of room to do so. And then tip your cap to Holtby for being able to hold out wave after wave of Lightning chances, even when Holtby himself had no clue where the puck actually was. The greatest frustration of all came in the Second Period, though, when I thought the team had clearly outplayed the Caps only to see Victor Hedman hit a post and Yanni Gourde whiff in front of a wide open net. A freak play by Dan Girardi having to drop a puck that was shot into his body in the neutral zone leading to one breakaway and then a bad defensive pair change leading to a second, and the game was over after two periods even though the Lightning had carried the balance of play. A three goal deficit is a death sentence in pro hockey after two frames, and especially so against a Barry Trotz coached trapping team. Another simplistic reading would be that the Lightning didn't put up a fight in the Third Period. The fact of the matter is you've got a better chance of slaying a Sasquatch than you do clawing back goals when you're that far behind playing against that trap.

What's the lesson we take from all this? Sometimes hockey's unfair. Just like life. More to the point, though, the Lightning actually no-showed Games One, Two, and Six of this series and had to have Vasilevskiy thieve Game Four for them. When you get to this stage of the season against the quality of teams you face in these moments, you can't spot teams games. A veteran laden team like the Lightning, with all their experience, should've known better. But, they mentally sagged after the triumph of slaying rival Boston in the previous rounds, and then checked out after fighting back to put Washington on the brink. These are painful breakdowns in leadership and mental discipline these players are going to have to live with the rest of their lives.

The Lightning organization now finds itself at a bit of a crossroads. It was the best of times, having been to the Eastern Conference Final or further three of the past four season, but it was also the worst of times having come up dry in the pursuit of a championship. Critical questions need to be asked throughout the building on Channelside, beginning with the question of whether this team is in danger of lapsing into the kind of "elite mediocrity" teams like the Caps and Sharks have been trapped in for what seems like a decade. No one can deny that Tampa Bay is a model franchise built to have more deep playoff runs well into the foreseeable future. But, are they constructed to win championships? Are some of the mainstay players on the roster now tainted with the stench of multiple postseason failures to get all the way over the hump? The coaching staff?

I'm not advocating a complete overhaul by any means. I suspect we will shortly learn that certain players like Steven Stamkos and Nikita Kucherov who seemingly underperformed over the past few weeks have been hiding significant injuries that have to be weighed in the overall evaluation. But, at the end of the day, this Lightning organization is stocked to the gills with good young players in Syracuse and the junior ranks. A strategic and surgical scrambling of the roster to replace some of those crusty, stale mainstays with exciting new blood is a necessity both from a hockey and a financial standpoint. It's coming. It needs to happen. To put it bluntly, the window is closing on a lot of players who have been cornerstones of the past half decade here, and it shut completely on a few others. Harsh but true.

One other thing I want to mention tonight, only because it irks me for its parallels to the 2011 series against Boston. It frustrates me to no end that the referees made a decision over the past two or three games to completely swallow their whistles. Just as in 2011, it's as if they made a conscious decision that because Tampa Bay's power play was so lethal and therefore each power play had an outsized chance of impacting the outcome of the games that they just weren't going to call anything. "Letting the boys decide it," is an act of moral cowardice by the refs, and despite their thinking that they aren't making a choice by electing to swallow their whistles they are, in fact, choosing to disadvantage the team with the better power play. We saw Yanni Gourde get cross checked in the nose in the First Period in a scrum. No call. We saw Washington play with seven skaters on the ice for a while in the First Period. No call. We saw copious quantities of clutching and grabbing throughout this series that reached epidemic proportions in the first 40 minutes of this game. No calls. I'm not going to sit here and tell you the Lightning also didn't commit infractions that could've been called and weren't because of what the refs chose to do. But the fact of the matter is the Lightning outpossessed Washington by huge proportions for wide swaths of the First and Second Periods, most notably the first five minutes of the Second Period, and there's no way in hell Washington didn't commit a penalty in those spaces of time. A team like Tampa Bay is constructed for possession and to accrue the benefits from that possession that come in the form of, among other things, increased power play time. The decision by the refs, which is a gutless calculation designed to proclaim they didn't favor one team over another, favored the team built for clutching and grabbing that is better built for counter attacking (the Caps) over the possession-oriented team (the Lightning). And that's wrong. It was in 2011 and it is still wrong now.

Anthony Cirelli had 1 hit and was 33% on 6 draws in 13:03. He's become a solid, valuable player for this team and he's still a boy among men. He's got a lot to do to develop a pro body and to work on improving his burst and acceleration so he can dig down and find a top gear when he needs it. He's really smart and has a great work ethic, though, and he should be one of the future leaders of this team.

Box score and extended statistics from NHL.com.

read more

http://www.boltprospects.com/content...tals-lightning
Old 05-23-2018, 11:16 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP Staff View Post

One other thing I want to mention tonight, only because it irks me for its parallels to the 2011 series against Boston. It frustrates me to no end that the referees made a decision over the past two or three games to completely swallow their whistles. Just as in 2011, it's as if they made a conscious decision that because Tampa Bay's power play was so lethal and therefore each power play had an outsized chance of impacting the outcome of the games that they just weren't going to call anything. "Letting the boys decide it," is an act of moral cowardice by the refs, and despite their thinking that they aren't making a choice by electing to swallow their whistles they are, in fact, choosing to disadvantage the team with the better power play. We saw Yanni Gourde get cross checked in the nose in the First Period in a scrum. No call. We saw Washington play with seven skaters on the ice for a while in the First Period. No call. We saw copious quantities of clutching and grabbing throughout this series that reached epidemic proportions in the first 40 minutes of this game. No calls. I'm not going to sit here and tell you the Lightning also didn't commit infractions that could've been called and weren't because of what the refs chose to do. But the fact of the matter is the Lightning outpossessed Washington by huge proportions for wide swaths of the First and Second Periods, most notably the first five minutes of the Second Period, and there's no way in hell Washington didn't commit a penalty in those spaces of time. A team like Tampa Bay is constructed for possession and to accrue the benefits from that possession that come in the form of, among other things, increased power play time. The decision by the refs, which is a gutless calculation designed to proclaim they didn't favor one team over another, favored the team built for clutching and grabbing that is better built for counter attacking (the Caps) over the possession-oriented team (the Lightning). And that's wrong. It was in 2011 and it is still wrong now.
This is gonna sound harsh, but cmon, that's #LoserTalk.

If it's happened to us so much, why haven't we leaned from it and adapted? Everyone screams for the refs to just be consistent. Well, in this series they consistently didn't call interference AND Washington is obviously well trained in how to do it right up to (and slightly beyond) the point that it should be called. Because they know how playoff games are refereed.

Bottom line is, when you see the way the refs are calling a game and you don't take advantage of it and then complain after you lose? That shit is on YOU.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:50 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I wanna see a bunch of trades. Miller, Johnson, Gourde, Kucherov. Deal em all

/endrant
Old 05-24-2018, 05:13 AM
Cooper's Law

That's too reactionary for my tastes, but I won't be upset or shocked if significant changes are made to the roster and staff. We just cannot keep complaining about the exact same lack of heart and situational awareness year after year. Four years ago they were too young and inexperienced to win a playoff game. Three years ago they were too young and inexperienced and too banged up to win the Cup (despite being the better team IMO). They seemed to buy the narrative that they weren't ready to beat a bunch of playoff veterans, and so they didn't. Two years ago, they blew two chances to reach the Cup Final. Why? Despite more key injuries and a worthy opponent, they played great right up until it was time to win that fourth game. Very similar to this year's ECF. Last year's start was blamed on fatigue and hubris, but I think it's immaturity and a clear sign of a heart problem when a good team can't get its shit together for such a long stretch. This season was a fun ride that I'm grateful for, but this team lost me with the heartless way it limped into the playoffs. I doubted their chances after seeing such a long stretch of apathy and inability to correct seemingly simple issues. The players and coaches even admitted to taking their foot off the gas. Why should we be at all surprised that they did it again several times in these playoffs? How many times have we watched or paid to attend games where the team mailed it in? How many times did they make excuses for not showing up? The layoff was too long. Our lead was too big. The other team wanted it more. Nope. Not acceptable. Maybe Schmitz it right – maybe Yzerman should cut the heart out of this team. It sure looks like it's defective.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:09 AM

As I said elsewhere, if your criteria for success is the cup, you will be happy 3 times each century.

The bolts had a very good season. They are an outstanding organization with reason to be optimistic moving forward.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
As I said elsewhere, if your criteria for success is the cup, you will be happy 3 times each century.

The bolts had a very good season. They are an outstanding organization with reason to be optimistic moving forward.
This team didn't show up more games than they did in the Eastern Conference Finals. You are staring the end of your Cup chances in the face (Game 7, down 3 goals, start of the 3rd period) and you manage 7 shots (1 in the first 13 minutes)? I think there is a big difference between putting it all out there and getting beat, and not showing up. We will see what comes about from injuries, but I'm not expecting nearly as many as I think you are. I think this team just doesn't have it mentally.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:53 AM

Hell yeah it's reactionary, and it feels good. Nobody wants to feel logical after a loss
Old 05-24-2018, 09:00 AM
Snoozin' Zyuzin (aka Suddenly Susan)

Quote:

Or if you are Pittsburgh, Chicago, Detroit, the teams who the Lightning are trying to emulate, 3 times in a decade.

You can be happy being the Sharks, but I don't think that's what the goal is.

They did have a good season. It wasn't good enough. There should absolutely be reason for optimism. But there is absolutely reason for sharp criticism as well.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:41 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:

This entire outlook is ignorant of the Law of Independent Trials. Prior spins at the roulette wheel have no impact on the successive rolls of the roulette wheel...
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 05-24-2018, 09:59 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP Staff View Post
I want to /sign this so hard my pen breaks. Everybody understands that the refs call the games differently in the playoffs but the way they swallowed their whistles was brought to a new level in this series. It fed into Washington's plans so well I find it hard to believe it wasn't coordinated from on high.