BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The BP Front Page

Old 05-19-2018, 09:30 PM
BP Staff

Default NHL Playoff Game Night: 5-19-18 Capitals at Lightning

Tampa Bay's lower lines author a Game Five triumph.

Eastern Conference Final

WSH-2
TB-3

Tampa Bay Leads the Series 3-2

Andrei Vasilevskiy allowed 2 goals on 30 shots for the victory. When the time game to make the big situational saves at the end of the game, he was there. You can't help but wonder if 20 years from now we're going to look back at this series as one of the defining mileposts of a special career.

First Period
0:19 TB Paquette (1), (Callahan)
9:04 TB Palat (6), (Kucherov)

Second Period
0:33 TB Callahan (2), (Stralman, Kunitz)
4:21 WSH Kuznetsov (11), (Niskanen, Oshie)

Third Period
18:24 WSH Ovechkin (11), (Carlson, Eller)

Ryan Callahan, Cedric Paquette, and Vasilevskiy were the game's three stars.

My man, Ceddy P. The Dump Truck. Nineteen seconds into the game he blisters a centering feed past Holtby and the Lightning just turned in the First Period of First Periods from there. The Lightning came to the rink prepared to do what it took to take control of this series from the opening puck drop and they could've easily been up 4-0 in the opening frame and a lot of that had to do with the quality and dominance of the team's third and fourth lines. You're not seeing the sustained pressure from the Stamkos and Point lines, but the Cirelli and Paquette lines have been fantastic. It's pretty amazing to see, less than two weeks away from Boston blowhard Jack Edwards implying Paquette was the worst player in the NHL, Dump Truck and his line actually beating the mighty Ovechkin line. Yeah, Ovechkin got his garbage time goal with the extra attacker on tonight, but he went shotless for what seemed like the first 15 minutes of his 20+ minutes of ice time.

Washington will hang their hat on the fact they clawed back a couple of goals in the final two periods while they were chasing the game with score effects. They'll have a little momentum facing elimination in Game Six, but they'll also have to contend with copious ghosts of playoff disappointments past, too. Meanwhile, the veteran-laden Tampa Bay Lightning are now just a single win from the Stanley Cup Final, and over the past three games they've shown a certain savvy to do just what it takes to get the win and keep it moving. If I'm Coach Cooper, I'm feeling pretty good about that group of guys being within eyesight of the finish line to advance to the Stanley Cup Final. Pretty good, indeed.

Anthony Cirelli had 1 hit and 1 blocked shot in 11:46. He was good on the forecheck tonight, helping the Lightning generate pressure and keeping the Caps 200 feet from Vasilevskiy's net.

Box score and extended statistics from NHL.com.

read more

http://www.boltprospects.com/content...tals-lightning
Old 05-19-2018, 11:34 PM
Brad Richard's Contract

Ok guys, don't flame me out...but 8 was and has been the best Caps player in the series. Effort and energy to the max. He got the 6-5 goal as his only goal this game, but it was not for lack of effort. Yes, he's a bit of a dog, but I've mostly enjoyed his energy and skill. The guy has not won scoring titles with only glitter and glaze. I'm a hockey fan, and I enjoy seeing even an opponent display skill and verve. That said, I'll bet (and will $$) we send them packing in DC.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:06 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

And not to mention the BS #8 can get away with uncalled by the Refs, like the slash on Vasy’s stick and trip on Stammer. Sure if it was Stammer doing those things he’d either be called, or Ovi would be crying about it, or both.

Bolts did pretty well against a couple Caps surges, which you have to account for the clutching and grabbing, and interference style they play on defense. The Bolts speed game thankfully would get them free of that at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2018, 07:08 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Ovechkin has scored here and there, but his shot totals throughout most of the series has been pretty lacking. I think that line's Corsi For was like 23% even in the wins they had. Still I give him credit for scaring the crap out of me whenever the puck is headed to him on a one timer, and he is definitely putting in a lot of effort.

Orlov has been the Caps best player, but suddenly looked awful last night.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:04 AM

OV is like Stamkos for me. I respect the talent but other than physicality, just like Stamkos if you lock out his one timer he's pretty impotent. Kuznetsov is the guy I am terrified of.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
OV is like Stamkos for me. I respect the talent but other than physicality, just like Stamkos if you lock out his one timer he's pretty impotent. Kuznetsov is the guy I am terrified of.
I don't buy that. The guy is like the 5th fastest to 600 goals ever, and has a very real possibility at breaking the all time record. If it was as simple as locking down a one timer, I have to believe someone would have figured that out by now.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:44 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
Ok guys, don't flame me out...but 8 was and has been the best Caps player in the series. Effort and energy to the max. He got the 6-5 goal as his only goal this game, but it was not for lack of effort. Yes, he's a bit of a dog, but I've mostly enjoyed his energy and skill. The guy has not won scoring titles with only glitter and glaze. I'm a hockey fan, and I enjoy seeing even an opponent display skill and verve. That said, I'll bet (and will $$) we send them packing in DC.
I agree, playing his ass off. Kuznetzov isn't too bad either.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:02 AM

I wouldn't mind having John Carlson on my team. He's impressed me all through the playoffs.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:14 AM

I've always liked Carlson myself.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
I don't buy that. The guy is like the 5th fastest to 600 goals ever, and has a very real possibility at breaking the all time record. If it was as simple as locking down a one timer, I have to believe someone would have figured that out by now.
Yes and once upon a time Stamkos was the 4th quickest to 200 goals. I'm speaking strictly about this series, he hasn't put himself into many scoring areas. That's on him