BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 03-21-2019, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Default Bolts @ 'Canes 3/21 7 pm

Oops, sorry I'm late

Boy, it's hard to get worked up for this one...
Old 03-21-2019, 06:55 PM
Cooper's Law

That Gourde hit looks bad on replays, but if Staal is upright it's a shoulder to the chest. Callahan pulled Staal off balance and Gourde didn't have time to let up IMO.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:56 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Yanni Gourde was ejected (match penalty / check to the head) for a hit on Jordan Staal. Staal was tangled up with Ryan Callahan (who is playing tonight for some reason) and Gourde moved laterally into the play and made significant contact with Staal's head.

Personally, I agree with the penalty called. I don't think Gourde was trying to clock him in the head, but I don't think there was any reason for Yanni to be cutting across and making a hit on Staal at all. That's a dangerous play. The question is whether or not they'll think Gourde needs any more time, given that he was essentially banned for an entire game.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:20 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

I’m confused how there wasn’t another penalty on that play. Am I reading the box score wrong or did the Lightning actually get a power play for whacking Staal in the head?

EDIT: Never mind, the match penalty comes with a major.

Last edited by TexasBolt; 03-21-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:28 PM
Cooper's Law

Bet you that Hamilton gets away with something Voracek was suspended 2 games for recently. That reverse elbow to the head of Ceddy was dirty and I don't know why that's not considered a game misconduct either.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Jay Feaster's Cheeto Encrusted Thumb

Impressive energy level & effort tonight from the boys. Third in four and they showed these pretenders what it means to be an elite team.

I would guess Gourde gets no supplemental due to the fact he got the match early in the game and Stahl came back & played the rest of the game. But who knows, it didn't look too good.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:44 PM
Cooper's Law

So a 3 goal win puts us at +100 on the goal differential for the season. Seems good.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:03 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
So a 3 goal win puts us at +100 on the goal differential for the season. Seems good.
Acceptable.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:17 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Zo View Post
Personally, I agree with the penalty called. I don't think Gourde was trying to clock him in the head...

Those two sentences directly contradict each other though, Zo: The opinion of the referee was that Gourde was intentionally trying to INJURE Staal.

Allow that to penetrate for a moment. Gourde was desiring to hurt Staal and meant to deliberately give him an actual HEAD INJURY. That is literally this referee's opinion. Crazy, right?

In fairness this rule is one of the looniest in the entire book.

The league is trying to reduce the number and severity of hits to the head, so you can't make the head the principal point of contact when you had the ability to avoid it. So far, so good. Now here comes the bizarre part:

The penalty for an illegal check to the head is a two-minute minor, which is weird given the league's concern about head injuries; but as the rule is written, that's clearly what should have been called.More weird: There is no provision for a major penalty or for a game misconduct for an illegal check to the head.

As such, the official who feels a hit demands a little more than a minor is forced into the utterly absurd position of having to assert—in public—that the checker literally intended (with premeditated malice) to injure his opponent. It's a horrible position IMHO that the rules committee has placed officials in.

Aside from that, how bout them Bolts!!!! Looks like another deep run, long as they stay healthy. Thanks hockey gods!

Last edited by Top Shelf; 03-22-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:22 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Yanni to have a hearing with Player Safety today...

https://www.tsn.ca/gourde-to-have-he...taal-1.1277824