BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Old 06-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

A couple other teams had already traded down so we may have just lost our chance to do the same.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:43 PM
BP Staff

It's beef 1A. Beef 1B is drafting a bunch of guys who need to be force fed at the training table to get to a minimum playing weight I'd be comfortable with in the NHL.

I would have liked it better if we had taken Phillips or Grimaldi, but the same concern about size would have been in play, especially if we had taken Grimaldi.

I think the Lightning had tunnel vision. They weren't taking anyone other than Namestnikov, just like the whole Twitter-gate incident proved to us how locked in they were on Nesterov.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:45 PM

Were the circumstances of the Twitter confusion ever posted here? I saw that some names went back and forth a couple times, but I was confused as to how that started.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

The official team twitter posted that we had taken Nesterov when we had just picked Kucherov, then posted an "oops". A while later, we did indeed pick Nesterov. I don't think they've addressed what happened or why.

Not sure if that answers your question.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Snoozin' Zyuzin (aka Suddenly Susan)

Default anyone happy without gripes about our pick@ 27?

obviously we are grateful to pick that low and I would try and take that slot or worse each year, lest we get a boston type move that gets them a high draft selection because the Leafs are just morons..... However, no one is real satisfied with our pick of VN for lots of reasons which could portend for less success than desired. SFY seems to have known the kid deeper than perhaps even the scouts, so he pulls the trigger?

I personally would react to how Lucic dominated us so badly at times and certainly dictated the tempo of games by his physicality.. so did Horton. Their cheap shots and physical bullying at the end of game 1 was a rally point for the Bruins. I would have much preferred to have found some kid with comparisons to such players for us to draft. Were skill and size mutally exclusive throughout the draft? take a chance on toughness late as we did for skill?

I would have liked to have somehow gotten a shot at a more esteemed goalie since they came off the board late. It still has not be proven to me that there is a better pathway to the SC than building from the goal out.

I do feel like this a draft for 3-4 years down the line at earliest.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:01 AM

I have some preferences as to what I would have liked to have seen, but I shouldn't have any gripes, because as much as I'd like to think I know a lot about whats going on, those are some very smart people sitting at that draft table including the guy who helped get us within a game of the final.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
I have some preferences as to what I would have liked to have seen, but I shouldn't have any gripes, because as much as I'd like to think I know a lot about whats going on, those are some very smart people sitting at that draft table including the guy who helped get us within a game of the final.
Right. And the guys making the picks have actually seen these kids play and spoken with them, not just read blogs or seen a few youtube clips.

It's way too easy to get caught up in the press (propoganda?) that propels some of the mystique of guys drafted after the first couple of rounds.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:38 PM

Not to mention outside of the lottery picks, none of these guys are going to have an opportunity to make geniuses or fools out of anybody until at least a year or two from now.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:43 PM

Just saw but Jesse Forsberg went undrafted.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:43 PM
BP Staff

Here's the guys from Red Line's top 110 that went undrafted:

40. D Mike McKee, Kent (USHS)
54. D Zakhar Arzamastev, Novokuznetsk (RUS)
72. G Matej Machovsky, Brampton (OHL)
76. D Myles Bell, Regina (WHL)
95. C/RW Seth Griffith, London (OHL)
98. RW Pontus Netterberg, HV 71 (SWE)
99. G Maxime Legace, PEI (QMJHL)
100. D Jesse Forsberg, Prince George (WHL)
101. D Jagger Dirk, Kootenay (WHL)
110. LW Anton Zlobin, Shawinigan (QMJHL)

Last edited by pete; 06-27-2011 at 07:31 PM.