BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 08-12-2020, 07:05 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Whatever not like Columbus deserved to win, and the officiating was suspect the ENTIRE series last year.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:21 AM
Tim Taylor's WrapAround

Herculean effort - well done. Hope Hedman's ankle isn't too sore this morning
Old 08-12-2020, 07:25 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Vasiy could've saved us all about 3 hours of our lives if he just stopped that second goal. And yes, I'm hard on Vasiy. At his level it's not at all wrong to expect him to not allow any softies come playoff time. He wants to win a Cup, he needs to tighten up even more, especially now that the team in front of him is finally selling out for a 'ship.
Vasi had no chance on that shot. If you are going to give him stick for a shot that squeezed in over his shoulder and under the crossbar, as he was squared up on the post and trying to look around traffic in front of him, you should be equally critical of Kucherov, Johnson, Point and Palat, all who could have ended the game far earlier by barely missing the net on the good looks they had. The other goal on Vasi was scored on a deflection he didn't have much of a chance on.

I had zero complaints with Vasi's game. If a .923 sv% and 2.00 GAA in regulation isn't good enough with the skaters he has in front of him, that's not on Vasi. That's Vasi doing exactly what should be expected of him. And that's what he did. He kept the team in the game long enough to give them a chance to win.

Last edited by dannybolt; 08-12-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutznboltz View Post
They felt Hedman should have been called for something when he rode Atkinson into the net, especially after the delay of game penalty. They were even calling for a penalty shot on that play. Eff 'em....
Really dumb. Ever seen a delay of game not called? No discretion on that.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
Vasi had no chance on that shot. If you are going to give him stick for a shot that squeezed in over his shoulder and under the crossbar, as he was squared up on the post and trying to look around traffic in front of him, you should be equally critical of Kucherov, Johnson, Point and Palat, all who could have ended the game far earlier by barely missing the net on the good looks they had. The other goal on Vasi was scored on a deflection he didn't have much of a chance on.

I had zero complaints with Vasi's game. If a .923 sv% and 2.00 GAA in regulation isn't good enough with the skaters he has in front of him, that's not on Vasi. That's Vasi doing exactly what should be expected of him. And that's what he did. He kept the team in the game long enough to give them a chance to win.
Agreed. I donít believe that was a soft goal, just a seeing eye shot from a bad angle.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Whatever not like Columbus deserved to win, and the officiating was suspect the ENTIRE series last year.
Hedman committed a penalty on the play and people would be going nuts on this board had it happened to us. See last weekís discussion on the refs are out to get us thread.

Iíve always said the referees are inconsistent and you have to be able to overcome their incompetence. I think we got a break on the call, but clearly outplayed them and deserved the victory.

In a 7 game series, the call will certainly even up.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutznboltz View Post
They felt Hedman should have been called for something when he rode Atkinson into the net, especially after the delay of game penalty. They were even calling for a penalty shot on that play. Eff 'em....
Oh, so that one call the refs missed was too much to handle... after CBJ had benefited from multiple no-calls earlier in the game. Gotcha.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Hedman committed a penalty on the play and people would be going nuts on this board had it happened to us. See last week’s discussion on the refs are out to get us thread.

I’ve always said the referees are inconsistent and you have to be able to overcome their incompetence. I think we got a break on the call, but clearly outplayed them and deserved the victory.

In a 7 game series, the call will certainly even up.
Most neutral observers are saying it wasn't a penalty. No clear trip or hold, just a shove to the back. Honestly if it happened to us, I would've felt the same. Besides, I'm basically immune to non-calls against us at this point.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:42 PM

I was wondering about this during the game last night -- how are the people doing play-by-play holding up through the marathon?

Gord Miller did PBP for NBCSN for the game, and The Athletic did an interview with him on it.

https://theathletic.com/1991702/2020...ive-overtimes/
Old 08-12-2020, 03:45 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Most neutral observers are saying it wasn't a penalty. No clear trip or hold, just a shove to the back. Honestly if it happened to us, I would've felt the same. Besides, I'm basically immune to non-calls against us at this point.
He never wrapped the free arm around the shooter. I legit thought it wasn't a penalty in real time but was sure they'd call it given they call you if you look at someone sternly in that situation.