BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Avery86's Avatar
Avery86 Avery86 is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 4,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I usually can't stand rap. This, however, is something I can dig. It kinda reminds me of the west coast stuff from the late 80s/early 90s, in the way that the flow has rhythm and dynamics and doesn't rely solely on the beat to make the song.
I can't stand rap, either. As cliche as this sounds, the mainstream stuff is just terrible, for the most part. I consider hip hop the lyrics driven style with a message that went underground after gangster rap and crunk started becoming the norm. That's where my ears focus in on. I can't get enough of it.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Hoek's Avatar
Hoek Hoek is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 16,714
Default

This thread exploded since I first saw it. I was going to start something like this but then forgot about it. Glad someone did.

Couple thoughts on what's been posted (haven't had time to listen to the new stuff so I'll stick to what I know):

Offspring - One Fine Day makes me think of Crazy Taxi and its awesome soundtrack. Great pick.

And I love Jurassic 5. Some of the few clever rhymers still out there..

I listen to all sorts of stuff but I'm big on ska, so maybe I'll specialize in that.

Here's a bit from my favorite band, Streetlight Manifesto. Funny music video too, though a bit violent..

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Hoek; 07-21-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Alex's Avatar
Alex Alex is offline
Steve F**king Yzerman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 2,673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery86 View Post
I can't stand rap, either. As cliche as this sounds, the mainstream stuff is just terrible, for the most part. I consider hip hop the lyrics driven style with a message that went underground after gangster rap and crunk started becoming the norm. That's where my ears focus in on. I can't get enough of it.
I can see the draw there. Really, I do enjoy some of the beats and music that hip-hop music lays down, it's the vocal delivery that just grates on me. I've turned to more lounge/trip-hop stuff lately to satisfy that ear-need. You get all the beats and melodies but none of the crap.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Avery86's Avatar
Avery86 Avery86 is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 4,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
I listen to all sorts of stuff but I'm big on ska, so maybe I'll specialize in that.

Here's a bit from my favorite band, Streetlight Manifesto. Funny music video too, though a bit violent..
I saw Streetlight Manifesto and Reel Big Fish on Monday night. Great show.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Hoek's Avatar
Hoek Hoek is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 16,714
Default

Aww man so jealous. I don't normally do concerts but I'd have a real hard time saying no to that show.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-21-2011, 08:53 PM
the_narrow_way's Avatar
the_narrow_way the_narrow_way is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 4,818
Default

Syd Matters.
A French band that writes all in English. I'd say fans of Radiohead and late-60's/early-70's Pink Floyd fans will appreciate this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syd_Matters
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Xaej Xaej is offline
Franz Jean's Goalie School
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 1,325
Default

Hey Hoek,

Do you like Less Than Jake at all?

I love Streetlight Manifesto, Reel Big Fish, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and pretty much all sorts of stuff like that.

I also really like when ska-type riffs are the backbone of rock songs (see: "Two Sisters" by Fiction Plane for an example).
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-22-2011, 01:35 AM
Xaej Xaej is offline
Franz Jean's Goalie School
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 1,325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Here's my band's song Windows Black. Not much of a video but the music is what's important anyway. Let me know what you all think. We're shooting for having two more mixed and recorded within the next month.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
I like it! Has a really Incubus style feel to the vocals, I think. Definitely post up the others when you get them done. What do you play?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-22-2011, 07:46 AM
BurnTHalO's Avatar
BurnTHalO BurnTHalO is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Marietta, OH
Posts: 6,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Here's my band's song Windows Black. Not much of a video but the music is what's important anyway. Let me know what you all think. We're shooting for having two more mixed and recorded within the next month.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Not bad man. Do you guys play out a lot around that area?


Oh, and here is my daily pick. Can't go wrong with a Sweedish girl band:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Hoek's Avatar
Hoek Hoek is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 16,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaej View Post
Hey Hoek,

Do you like Less Than Jake at all?

I love Streetlight Manifesto, Reel Big Fish, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and pretty much all sorts of stuff like that.

I also really like when ska-type riffs are the backbone of rock songs (see: "Two Sisters" by Fiction Plane for an example).
It took me a while to warm up to LTJ, but they're one of my favorites now. Brass sections always catch my ear even outside of the genre, too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2008, BoltProspects.com. All Rights Reserved.