BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 AM
BP Staff

Maybe the club is already getting the message from the Trib:

Quote:
Despite a six-game road winning streak that vaulted the Lightning back into the playoff picture, the team remains in last place in the conference and is just one point ahead of Los Angeles for last place in the league. ...

That's why it's time to just say "uncle" on the season. I know, they are only seven points out of the division lead, but that climb is a lot higher than it seems with 26 games left in the season. To get to 92 points - the final number the eight seed has earned the past two seasons - Tampa Bay needs to earn 40 out of the possible 52 points still available. And even though division leader Washington is on pace to earn only 85 points, with so many division games remaining, that point pace will increase as everybody in the Southeast plays each other.

It's nice that there remains a carrot to grab for, despite how badly things have gone this season. Yet, it's time to be realistic and move forward while hoping there are no more stumbling blocks on the road to next season.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Default It's Not Fun, But Probably Necessary

It's not fun seeing the team you support emotionally and financially struggling. But every team in professional sports must occasionally retool its lineup. Players get older, slower and less effective. New blood must be brought in.

Now retooling comes in stages. First stage is to assess whether you think you are going to make the playoffs. The Bolts have to win the division and playing in the Southeast makes that a real possibility. But assume you want to stand pat with your current lineup, how far do you think they will go in the playoffs? That is not a rosy picture.

If you don't think you will make the playoffs or won't last long, then you have to look at your UFA's to see if you think if you want to resign or can afford to resign them, that's the issue with Boyle now. If the answer to either of those queries is no, then you try to trade them at the deadline rather than lose them for nothing on July 1 for picks and prospects to retool with.

The draft is next. Using those acquired picks along with your own to select players who in 2 to 3 years can contribute to the big club.

July 1, identify and go after the free agents you think will make improvements to the club. The goalie position comes to mind. But you also will have those free agents gone either by trade or not resigning them to free up cash to obtain these guys.

So the point I'm making is that trade deadline deals are necessary as part of the retooling process. If the intent is to stand pat with the team you have now, you need to ask yourself this question, would I want to go into next season with the entire same lineup? IMO the answer is no. And if you agree it is no, then the retooling must start on or about February 26.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Cooper's Law

Well said, Randy. My thoughts exactly.

As a fan, it obviously sucks to see this team doing so poorly and having such ridiculous problems with the sale of the team. Of course I would love to see this team make the playoffs yet again, but the reality is that it's probably not going to happen.

And the team can't afford to take that chance and let the UFAs walk in the summer for nothing, whether or not they make the playoffs. Then what team will we have to look forward to next season? One that's even worse? No thanks.

I'll bite the bullet and hope for a rejuvenated team with bright prospects.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
If not for a post this could have been a win.
The rube sitting behind me was screaming "great save"!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Default Game Winner

Hedberg was quoted in the AJC as telling Zhitnik to go high short side if he had the opportunity.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:09 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
Hedberg was quoted in the AJC as telling Zhitnik to go high short side if he had the opportunity.
All hail Johanny Shortside.

Holmqvist will have a comeback of sorts next year ... in the SEL.