BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 01-30-2008, 10:29 AM
BP Staff

Yeah, they started out okay, but that's the problem here. How many times have we heard them use the word "fragile." This is a team with leaders that have won a Cup and know what it takes to get through the season. If you get down by 1 early, you press harder, you don't start sniffling on the bench and hoping you get a break. And really, that's what was discouraging. There was one point in the second where they went 8 or so minutes without a shot on goal - and that was when they were down 2-0! (Geez, I'm so mad I had to use an exclamation point)

This team is mature enough to not get too high or too low and maintain a professional, high-level approach.

Then, sure enough, they get the break they want with the 5 on 3, score, get another break with a PP, and then they don't really start going all out until the last 5 minutes.

You're going to get games with softies against and when you get 5 on 3 gifts and quality PPs. It's your play 5 on 5 that sustains success in hockey and watching this team 5 on 5 is a disaster.

And 70 3rd period goals against? Remember not too long ago when TB was the BEST 3rd period team due to their conditioning?

This is turning into a circumstance where if the team is going to be this bad, then at least be bad while players are developing.

Since there are so few sellers this year - as it appears - hopefully they can get a little more for Gratton (should he waive his NTC), one of Kuba/Lukowich, Prospal, and potentially Boyle.

I wouldn't mind seeing Darche, McD, Janik and/or Wanvig all go back to NF and switch places with players like Lessard, Keller, Jones and/or Smaby. Give the Ads fans a better product and the prospects some of Starbolts or whatever brand of coffee they serve at the SPTF.

If Boyle HAS to go, I would think us and SJ would make a good trading partner with their youth at forward and "need" for a puckmoving dman until Carle screws his head back on straight.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:25 PM
BP Staff

Some idiot gave Gratton a NTC? Unbelievable.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Yeah I couldn't believe it when I read that in a recent Times article, then I remembered he had to waive it to come here in the first place..
Old 01-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Default tix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupChamps2004 View Post
Miss them? No. They won't get us jack, tho, so don't see how it would help next year.
anything would be good to get for someone you don't want back. Ward is the only guy in that list that might be worth keeping for the 4th line.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:47 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
It's your play 5 on 5 that sustains success in hockey and watching this team 5 on 5 is a disaster.

And 70 3rd period goals against? Remember not too long ago when TB was the BEST 3rd period team due to their conditioning?
I also remember that we used to be one of the best 5-on-5 teams in the NHL. But that was when we had a second line (with Mo) that could cycle effectively and not just skate harmlessly around the perimeter.

This team just blows ... so I say blow it up. Keep Vinny. Try to keep Boyle. Nuke the site for morbid.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:37 AM
BP Staff

The cycle is dead.... not just because of Mo (a big reason) but because it's so freaking predictable. One guy goes low or high, and moves to the opposite along the wall. His teammate takes his spot along the wall wherever he was and the puck carrier drops it to him. It worked for a year or so, now they just defend it by having a dman leave the front of the net and intercept that drop. It's not rocket surgery. And since we have so many players allergic to the blue ice, there's no danger of anyone being in front for an open chance.

Of course, I still maintain that Torts has instilled the fear of God in the lower lines to just waste time in the offensive zone and not even try to score unless it's completely open. Mess up once and he'll nail your hockey pants to the bench.