BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 03-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Tortorella said he predicts Boyle will continue to get about 30 minutes a game.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

whyyyyyyyyy
Old 03-01-2008, 04:10 PM
BP Staff

In a perfect world, I'd like to see TB be the SJ Sharks of a few years ago in terms of wealth at the GT position, but that's the high end of it all.

Right now Helenius has to worry about being the No.1 on his junior team. Figures he'd go into the tank after I defended him on here.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Not confusing or irritating. Storing up assets. If Smith proves to be a guy you want to have in net for a number of years, you are in position to deal either Ramo or Helenius. We might have to make a deal at the draft to move up to the get #1 pick overall. We need Stamkos a helluva lot more than we need either Ramo or Helenius. Perhaps you can either of these guys with our Top 3-4 pick and move up and get the #1 overall.

Nothing irritating or confusing about having a depth of assets.
Feaster said he wanted to bridge the gap for Ramo. His words, not mine. I don't see how putting another project in net is going to bridge that gap. Granted, Smith is a nice improvement, however if bridging the gap was his goal he should have acquired a sure thing. For instance went after Huet and signed him up for a couple of years. I thought this was a given by now, given the Lightning's history at the goaltender position.

Best case scenario, Smith turns into a #1 and you have a log jam at the goaltender position. Its a good problem to have, but not when their are huge holes throughout the organization. I don't think it is fair to compare the Lightning to SJ or Buffalo right now, because both SJ and BUF have sure #1's. I compare the current situation as to when Dudley played musical chairs with the goaltenders and acquired Weekes and Cloutier. Worst case scenario Smith isn't a #1, and then you hurt Ramo's development because he hasn't had any playing time.

Aside from that, I don't mind Feaster storing up assets, but they have to be the right assets. Forwards! Just like how he has drafted defenseman after defenseman, and then acquired Picard and O'Brien on the side, I see a similar pattern at the goaltender position.

ah and while we are on the subject of assets, there was another infamous GM who used that word quite a bit.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

I think much of the goaltending problem will come down to what OK decides to do with the team this summer. If he spends some money and keeps Jokinen and Halpern on the 3rd lines and rebuilds the 2nd line and adds a winger on the #1 line then the team will be much stronger overall. Much stronger adding in the D is taken care of. Smith shouldn't have much problems next season if that plan happens. Even so Ramo can be a strong back up.
Worst case scenario Tampa could make a trade Dec-Jan time frame next season for a PROVEN #1 goalie that is to come onto the UFA market in 09, leaving Smith as a backup for the remainder the season. Sign the new #1 to a 3 year deal, trade Smith at deadline and bring Ramo back up as the backup. Or trade one of the Bolts depth goalies to that team + whatever else is need to get the #1.
Although Huet had a 18 save shutout last night, the jury still may have been out on him. Smith was the best CHEAP option out there. There's a couple goalies on the 2009 UFA list that I'd prefer over the 08 list. Here is a list of the 09 goalies put together by Coldrice. Grazie.

Manny Fernandez ($4.75 Million)
Tim Thomas ($1.1 Million)
Ryan Miller ($3.5 Million)
Khabibulin ($6.75 Million)
Fredrick Norrena ($900K)
Mike Smith ($950K)
Dwayne Roloson ($3 Million)
Mathieu Garon ($1 Million)
Craig Anderson ($575K)
Jason Labarbera ($850K)
Cloutier ($3.1 Million)
Niklas Backstrom ($3.1 Million)
Nolan Schaefer ($600K)
Weekes ($700K)
Joey MacDonald ($500K)
Martin Gerber ($3.7 Million)
Martin Biron ($3.5 Million)
Niitymaki ($1.375 Million)
Mikael Tellqvist (.800K)
Dany Sabourin ($525K)
Manny Legace ($2.5 Million)
Andrew Raycroft ($2.2 Million)
Brent Johnson ($825K)

Though I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that Smith suceeds.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Wallet scores again?!? What's up with him lately? Not that I'm complaining..
Old 03-01-2008, 07:22 PM
The Bulin Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFANATIC View Post
Granted, Smith is a nice improvement, however if bridging the gap was his goal he should have acquired a sure thing. For instance went after Huet and signed him up for a couple of years.
You think the Lightning outbidding everyone for him when he went UFA would be a "sure thing"?
Old 03-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydeedub View Post
Wallet scores again?!? What's up with him lately? Not that I'm complaining..

and who the hell is this Janik guy who as been playing D the last two nights and where the hell has been been all year?!?!?!?
Old 03-01-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupChamps2004 View Post
You think the Lightning outbidding everyone for him when he went UFA would be a "sure thing"?
If your going to ask that question, you need to ask whether Feaster is capable of outbidding other teams for offensive improvements this summer too. Your comparing apples to oranges.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:01 PM

Ugh.. that sucks ass.. two guys without sticks on the PK.. Total bullshit penalty to begin with, too.

Huet is no sure thing, especially given his performance leading up to the deadline. Plus we didn't have a 2nd round pick to give. Plus outbidding others for forwards will be a lot easier since there's a lot more of them to fight over.

Pffft another garbage call on Smith.. and we tip another one past our own goalie.

Last edited by Hoek; 03-01-2008 at 08:17 PM.