Default Lightning Roster Transactions 19/20

Domingue and Condon placed on waivers.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:25 PM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

2 goalies down... maybe...
Old 09-21-2019, 12:17 PM
Cooper's Law

Domingue and Condon both cleared waivers.

Chris Mueller, Spencer Martin, and Cory Conacher were placed on waivers today.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:07 PM
Cooper's Law

Assigned to Syracuse camp:

Abbandonato, Huntington, Katchouk, Lipanov, Lohin, Lynch, Raddysh, Shalagin, Yan, Sosunov, Spencer, and Valleau.

Snuggerud and Windor released from PTO
Old 09-22-2019, 11:32 AM
Cooper's Law

Mueller, Martin, and Conacher cleared waivers and were assigned to Syracuse.

Cameron Gaunce, Dominik Masin, Ben Thomas and Scott Wedgewood were placed on waivers today.

Nolan Foote was assigned to his Junior club.

Barre-Boulet, Colton, Somppi, Stephens, and Cal Foote were assigned to Crunch camp.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:52 PM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
Mueller, Martin, and Conacher cleared waivers and were assigned to Syracuse.

Cameron Gaunce, Dominik Masin, Ben Thomas and Scott Wedgewood were placed on waivers today.

Nolan Foote was assigned to his Junior club.

Barre-Boulet, Colton, Somppi, Stephens, and Cal Foote were assigned to Crunch camp.
Will be interesting to see if Masin clears.

ABB, Masin, Stephens going down trims the list of realistic roster hopefuls quite a bit.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:22 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Masin is #10, at best, on the depth chart. He was never a roster hopeful.

I would be shocked if someone claimed him. He would have to be carried on the NHL roster for the entire year. He’s not ready for the NHL right now, and I’m not sure he will ever be.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Masin is #10, at best, on the depth chart. He was never a roster hopeful.

I would be shocked if someone claimed him. He would have to be carried on the NHL roster for the entire year. He’s not ready for the NHL right now, and I’m not sure he will ever be.
His having to pass through waivers would be what made him a roster hopeful. Same as Verhaeghe (and Martel for that matter).

We clearly disagree on him, but I'm hardly the only person on the board who thinks he's close (pete and chad have both mentioned him potentially making the team), and his ice time in preseason backs that up as well. He got ice at the same relative levels Verhaeghe, Volkov, etc are getting. That tells me the organization wanted a good assessment before sending him down. Doesn't sound to me like he's not close, unless the idea was to confirm they could send him down without him getting claimed. And if he isn't close as you posit, that really wouldn't be a concern.

He's looked like the best defenseman on the ice more than one game in preseason (I didn't watch Saturday night), and from what I've read, has looked good in the AHL. Plus he plays the type of game on the blue line we don't exactly have a surplus of, and could use more of. Lastly, if he's #10 (which I disagree on, but whatevs) two of the guys in front of him are on one year deals that are highly likely to be one and done, and there really isn't a good third pair left long-term solution other than Masin in the system at the moment.

I fully admit I've had a soft spot for him since his draft year, and would love a positionally sound, physical, defense first home-grown guy on the roster.

Last edited by dannybolt; 09-22-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:00 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

The Lightning are probably going to carry 8 dmen this year. Then you have Foote.

Which of those 9 do you have Masin above?

My belief is that if the team though Masin was ready, they wouldn’t have Coburn.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
The Lightning are probably going to carry 8 dmen this year. Then you have Foote.

Which of those 9 do you have Masin above?
You are dumping left and right siders in the same bucket. Re-signing Coburn made it a certainty that Serge would be playing the right side, where all of a sudden we have a bunch of bottom pair guys fighting over one spot. Masin is the #4 on the left side, with Serge on the right side, unless the idea is that Sergachev is your future third pair left sider, which doesn't make a ton of sense considering where he is expected to slot in long-term salary-wise.

I always operated under the assumption that a 2nd round guy who was close to the NHL (IMO) would be more likely to get scooped up by a young rebuilding team over veterans that have already passed through waivers multiple times (Schenn, Rutta). The idea that there is still upside in Masin, where you know what you are going to get with Schenn/Rutta. Further, those guys are both right siders.
Quote:
My belief is that if the team though Masin was ready, they wouldn’t have Coburn.
Being ready for spot duty as a #7/8 and being ready to be relied on for a full season as well as late rounds of the playoffs are two entirely different things. Further, getting Coburn on a cheap deal made that move a no-brainer. If Coburn wanted 3M, it's unlikely that he would be on the roster. Maybe JBB goes the FA route in that case, but I don't agree that Coburn being signed meant Masin isn't close. It meant they got a great deal and locked down their third pair left side with a proven vet at a pretty good value.

If Masin wasn't close, or the Bolts didn't have designs on him long-term, why was he getting the minutes he was getting, along with the rest of the forwards that are getting long looks?