BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 08-14-2019, 01:08 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Default Erne traded to Detroit for 4th round pick in 2020

Well that was random. I know we were near the contract limit, but figured Domingue moving would do the trick.

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/t...gs/c-308527856
Old 08-14-2019, 01:25 PM

A fourth rounder? Yikes.

I guess this clears the forward log jam a bit. As Chad noted on Twitter, Carter Verhaeghe may have a spot with the big club now.

Goodbye, Adam. We'll all be rooting for you to cross the finish line, BBQ-stained knees and all.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:35 PM
Phil Esposito's Fax Machine

I am a bit upset to see him go. His size was nice to have and when he put his mind to hitting, he was fun to watch. I also worry that he has more upside and we just didn't get it here. Telling that Yzerman wanted him too...But its certainly not the end of the world...Fourth round pick seems a bit light, but we could use that pick in future moves if they want...who knows.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:01 PM
Cooper's Law

Verhaeghe was already going to make the roster as the 12/13 forward. I think this means we might bring in a free agent that is still out there. Maroon makes the most sense.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:08 PM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
Verhaeghe was already going to make the roster as the 12/13 forward. I think this means we might bring in a free agent that is still out there. Maroon makes the most sense.
You would think. I don't think anyone looked at the roster after the playoffs and thought getting smaller and easier to play against was the lesson.

I wonder if maybe Erne wanted more money than we'd be willing to pay. Or maybe his last half tapering off was where management saw his ceiling.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:14 PM
Eric Perrin's Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizman View Post
I am a bit upset to see him go. His size was nice to have and when he put his mind to hitting, he was fun to watch. I also worry that he has more upside and we just didn't get it here. Telling that Yzerman wanted him too...But its certainly not the end of the world...Fourth round pick seems a bit light, but we could use that pick in future moves if they want...who knows.
Yeah he had more upside. Cooper would always stick him with no help on the bottom lines. A soft team just got even softer after this move. This is one of the few guys with some grit and skill that we had and now he is shipped off for absolutely nothing.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:43 PM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuchieMonster View Post
shipped off for absolutely nothing.
A 2020 4th isn't nothing, although it is interesting that Yzerman originally drafted him in the 2nd, then traded a 4th for him to get him on his next team. I'm not sure JBB has a more accurate assessment on him than Yzerman does.

The more I think about this, the more I think that Erne wanted more money than we could pay him and still retain Point.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:50 PM
Phil Esposito's Fax Machine

I'm reading that the 2020 draft is one of the deepest draft classes in some time...and it could be an early round 4 at that...so, it should be some decent value.

I just wish it was one of those contingent trades, like if Erne gets a certain number of minutes or goals, then the pick is a 3...but oh well.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:19 PM

Erne was running out of team control with several other players pushing for his spot.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:45 PM
Jimmie Olvestad's Dimensional Speed

His growth through Lightning system quite slow. His speed was a factor as well. Wonder if he’ll be replaced by a mature UFA.