BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 08-05-2019, 12:06 PM
Phil Esposito's Fax Machine

To me Masin stays...I'm ok losing one of either Schenn or Rutta...
Old 08-05-2019, 12:20 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Masin will have to prove that he’s an NHL quality defender, he did not look good in camp last year. I think if he’s in the ballpark, the team might just go with 8 D again and throw Ruuta or Schenn to Syracuse
Old 08-05-2019, 12:28 PM
Johnny Shortside

Like the signing.
Hopefully he stays healthy....and keeps a chip on his shoulder looking to regain some of his chops back there.
Apparently we were not the only team interested so he wants to be here.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:39 PM
Cooper's Law

I imagine the claim rate on defensemen coming off their ELC with zero NHL games is pretty low. I still think Masin has some NHL upside as a physical bottom pair defenseman, but if you can get him through waivers I think that's the route you take. You would rather have Schenn and Rutta in the press box instead of a young defenseman that needs game action to continue to develop.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Lightning Insider
@Erik_Erlendsson

Kevin Shattenkirk admits getting bought out by Rangers “pissed me off” and adds he has a big chip on his shoulder, feels he shares that attitude with #TBLightning after what happened in playoffs last year

Nice, this is what I want to hear
Old 08-05-2019, 02:01 PM
Jimmie Olvestad's Dimensional Speed

Good pickup with lots to prove. Was very good with Blues. When BriseBois signed Rutta and Schenn didn’t know Shattenkirk would become available. If you listen and see what BriseBois is doing it makes sense. His financial strategy goes out for years and he has an owner that completely gets it. Word has it that BriseBois has always been the financial strategist. Now Cooper and staff have to make it work.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:14 PM

Great move as this adds the depth we have needed. Here's hoping he proves the Rangers wrong
Old 08-05-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
Maybe I'm crazy, but I see this as Masin most likely to be the 7th because of waivers. I would think keeping Masin is a higher priority than Rutta or Schenn. Maybe he could pass through, who knows. Would seem like a problem to lose Masin for nothing, more so than Rutta or Schenn. Or maybe I misunderstand your second point.
You would give up a sure NHL player for nothing to keep a lower tier prospect that may never play in the NHL and if he makes the NHL is projected to be no better than a 6-7 defenseman?
Old 08-05-2019, 02:49 PM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
You would give up a sure NHL player for nothing to keep a lower tier prospect that may never play in the NHL and if he makes the NHL is projected to be no better than a 6-7 defenseman?
Are Rutta and Schenn sure-fire NHLers? Both had been demoted to the AHL by their prior teams which is why we got them (in trade and FA) on the cheap. That doesn't scream sure fire to me.

I fully admit to not knowing exactly how good/bad or far along Masin is, other than what I've read online, and what I've read online is that he is a 3rd pair left side Dman, probably sooner rather than later, which is where he would likely slot in after Coburn is gone, provided he continues to improve. I find it hard to believe the Lightning would give up on a 2nd round pick who plays physical and is still developing, especially if he is close to the NHL, which losing him to waivers (if that happens) would be doing. I'd also argue that a developing prospect who hasn't reached his ceiling holds more value than a guy who played himself out of the NHL.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:12 PM
BP Staff

Airlock Rutta. Keep Masin.

This deal makes me happy as a clam, btw.