BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 04-17-2019, 07:22 AM
John Grahame's Designated Driver

Quote:
Last thought. Does SFY get any blame? He basically built this team and his finger prints are all over the guys we have here and in the minors. We have many young players that are cut from same mold...the smaller skilled type guys. I fear that Yzermans philosophy of the type of players he covets is deep within our franchise. Maybe we are structured too heavily on those types of players....just a thought.
Yzerman would have blame for this season. If he were still here though, he would make the changes to fix it. He fired Guy Boucher when he was no longer effective, he got rid of the terrible contracts from the previous ownership when he took over. It remains to be seen how our new GM will handle it. But we need a lot of fixing. We weren't prepared to play in the postseason, in spite of our 1300 games of previous experience.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:45 AM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat664422 View Post
Yzerman would have blame for this season... he got rid of the terrible contracts from the previous ownership when he took over.
True, but many would argue he added several himself...
Old 04-17-2019, 10:45 AM
Eric Perrin's Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
They made the ECF last year. Hardly shitting the bed.
Who cares? This team has had the most talent in the NHL the last 3 years and has absolutely nothing to show for it.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:49 AM
Eric Perrin's Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat664422 View Post
Yzerman would have blame for this season. If he were still here though, he would make the changes to fix it. He fired Guy Boucher when he was no longer effective, he got rid of the terrible contracts from the previous ownership when he took over. It remains to be seen how our new GM will handle it. But we need a lot of fixing. We weren't prepared to play in the postseason, in spite of our 1300 games of previous experience.
He got rid of bad contracts and added many of his own bad contracts. Killorn, Callahan and Miller are bad contracts. We need to bring in Karlsson and figure out who needs to go to get it done. The only untouchables for me are Hedman and Point. Probably Vasy too. Kuch is my guy but he has done nothing the last 3 playoff series.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:03 AM
John Grahame's Designated Driver

He is a decent breakdown of why Columbus beat us, but what it doesn't explain is why our coaches and players were unable to make any adjustments, as Columbus obviously did:

https://deadspin.com/what-the-hell-j...ing-1834104837

After all, we rode the 1-2-2 to great success under Boucher in 2010-2011. It shouldn't be an alien concept to us.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:04 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuchieMonster View Post
He got rid of bad contracts and added many of his own bad contracts. Killorn, Callahan and Miller are bad contracts. We need to bring in Karlsson and figure out who needs to go to get it done. The only untouchables for me are Hedman and Point. Probably Vasy too. Kuch is my guy but he has done nothing the last 3 playoff series.
Cirelli and Joseph should be here as well. Way too early to move them.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:07 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
They made the ECF last year. Hardly shitting the bed.
ECF, no. Games 6 & 7 against the Caps? Definitely. Those were precursors for the BJ series.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:09 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuchieMonster View Post
Miller isn't a bad contract. It can be moved pretty easily as it doesn't have a NTC. Killorn isn't a horrible contract to be honest. 4.45m AAV isn't god awful, it's not great as it has a modified NTC. Callahan's is the worst of the 3 you mentioned.

We're still paying on one of his worst signings, Matt Carle.

Tyler Johnson with the FULL NTC is pretty bad as well given how much of a shell he is. He had 29 goals this season and I swear they were the most forgettable garbage goals of anyone on the team. He used to just dominate with gas on teams, now he's a soft small perimeter winger because Center is just too hard for him. He's a top 6 player because he's not hard enough to play 3rd line wing and check. The price isn't bad, but the NTC and duration are terrible. My hope is that he accepts a trade to Seattle so he can go back to his home state and play.

Palat is spent. NTC on his contract as well. There is no way he's worth 5.3m AAV. Not any fault of his other than his body simply is broken. Heart still there, the body can't get him to the fight as frequently as it used to.

This is the kind of thing I'm excited about and all of us on a prospects forum should be excited about. We'll get to see if Foote/Masin/Katchouk/Raddysh/ABB/Stephens can push some people out. I encourage the $25 fee to watch the playoffs for the AHL if you can. Foote is gonna be a long term RHD for this organization at the NHL level. He's grown this season with call-ups making room for him to get bigger minutes and expanded responsibilities and utilization in the AHL. Masin is, to me, like Cernak with a little less offensive upside. A solid bottom 4 D on the Left Side that you can forget about for 16-20min a night as he won't do anything other than exactly what needs to be done in all defensive situations. Need a road grader? On it. Need a shot block? On it. Need a battler on the wall(unlike Sergy)? On it. He's basically a Coburn type, only younger. Likely doesn't skate as well as Coburn did in his youth and still exhibits from time to time, but his skating isn't poor.

Again, best thing about sports. There's always next year. Unless you're the Thrashers or Turds fan and the team is in jeopardy of being moved.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Last edited by ZeykShade; 04-17-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:12 AM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Half of you guys are ridiculous. You don't reset a whole team after setting records in wins and dominating for a whole season. you do not. teams/fans would give anything to have the success we have had over the past 4-6 years. Everyone is reacting emotionally and rightfully so; the expectations and level of talent that we have been accustomed to compounds this feeling.

Sure there needs to be some changes and a pretty significant move or 2; but to list 2-3 players as the only players that arent touchable is laughable.

Columbus played a nearly perfect series, the coaching was outmatched, as well as the officiating as being near 'Boston like' didnt do us any favors. The BJ team isnt as terrible as subjected when the playoffs started.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:15 AM
Phil Esposito's Fax Machine

The difficulty I see is how you rebuild and fix the issues, yet stay viable to be back in playoffs next year. Also, we have the expansion draft to navigate.

Most likely result of rebuilding is getting worse before getting better. So, how do fix it enough to get to promised land and avoid going backwards?

Sergachev to me has to be a consideration to be moved in the off season depending on what he brings in return. My guess is he stays because of the expected turnover on the horizon, but I wasn't impressed with him this year.