BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 03-25-2019, 11:15 AM
Johnny Shortside

Default Lightning vs Blues 3-23

Just watched the condensed game on youtube from Sat night loss to the Blues.

Disclaimer: I do not get to see any Lightning hockey other than condensed games.
That said, I have posted here earlier in the season about giving up prime chances in front of the net and slot area.

Folks, I do not see us winning the cup unless Vasi turns into a literal sheet of plywood.
....and IMO, he may be the best goalie on the planet right now.

BUT....I also know defense wins championships, and if we do not start to limit the other teams prime chances in front, we will have a spectacular regular season, and a very disappointing post season.

Boys need to tighten up in their own end and let the scoring take care of itself.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:15 PM
Cooper's Law

They've been lax for a while now, maybe since around the All Star break, about properly defending in front of the net. They are leaning on the goaltenders way too much. We know they're capable of much better defense.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:39 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Sadly this is the one position that we did not address at the trade deadline and it could come back to bite us.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:43 PM
Cooper's Law

Gonna file this under "Chicken Little".

All of the metrics of that game and the eye test were passed except for 2 minutes in the 1st period. That's it. Now, remember that the team has ZERO to play for and they still carried play throughout 55 min of the game roughly.

STL isn't a shit team. The best team in the West is the Knights atm. They're on fire at the right time. We don't have to worry about any of this until we get through 3 rounds in the East.

No team in the east worries me except for the Lightning. If they take nights off, they can lose OR they can win on their goaltending. If they don't take nights off, they're going to fucking destroy the East.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 03-25-2019, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
Gonna file this under "Chicken Little".

All of the metrics of that game and the eye test were passed except for 2 minutes in the 1st period. That's it. Now, remember that the team has ZERO to play for and they still carried play throughout 55 min of the game roughly.

STL isn't a shit team. The best team in the West is the Knights atm. They're on fire at the right time. We don't have to worry about any of this until we get through 3 rounds in the East.

No team in the east worries me except for the Lightning. If they take nights off, they can lose OR they can win on their goaltending. If they don't take nights off, they're going to fucking destroy the East.

Sorry for the lack of game thread. I tried a few hours before the game & couldn't get on.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:37 PM
Johnny Shortside

Like the chicken little comparison, kind of like put your head in the sand.
Agree to disagree.

Go back, check some condensed games. Pick a few random ones. You'll see for yourself. Spectacular save after save by Vasi/Dom. Pretty rare you see a 60 foot blue line blast go clean in.
Way too many goals from the slot for a team with this level of talent.
That said, I will acknowledge that the difference between many NHL teams is razor edge so every single team out there has one or more weapons which will make you pay for every mistake or freak bounce of the puck.

.... and yes we should destroy every team on our W16 post season run.
But we won't if you don't take care of the slot area.

Now is the time to tighten it up.

Last edited by gphockey; 03-25-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:17 PM
Cooper's Law

Sure, I'll go back and read the abridged version of Othello too. I'm sure I'll pick up all that I need to have an informed opinion everyone should take as gospel.

What kind of advice is that? I watch the full games and have the Natural Stat Trick metrics between each period and post game. What they say is that outside of the PP goal and the rest of a 2min span in the 1st period, the Lightning were the better team. The 4th goal was scored against the run of play. The 3rd goal came off an uncalled slash/hook on the hands of McDonagh in which the blade of Barbashev's stick almost removed one of McD's gloves. This directly leads to the 3rd goal.

What kind of advice is it to watch offensively biased condensed games? I understand not having time to watch the game in real time or later to not watch the whole game, but maybe don't tell yourself that you've got the complete picture after having done that. And you most certainly shouldn't feel as if you have a full grasp on how the entire game went, because you can't.

Oh and thanks for the leaping insight into the obvious about protecting the slot area. The Bolts got progressively better through the game at protecting against High Danger Chances. 7, 4, 2 in each period respectively. So a team that is playing for nothing at all, lost to a team that is still concerned with playoff positioning because they were asleep for 2minutes of a 60min game that means nothing.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Last edited by ZeykShade; 03-25-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:27 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
Sure, I'll go back and read the abridged version of Othello too. I'm sure I'll pick up all that I need to have an informed opinion everyone should take as gospel.

What kind of advice is that? I watch the full games and have the Natural Stat Trick metrics between each period and post game. What they say is that outside of the PP goal and the rest of a 2min span in the 1st period, the Lightning were the better team. The 4th goal was scored against the run of play. The 3rd goal came off an uncalled slash/hook on the hands of McDonagh in which the blade of Barbashev's stick almost removed one of McD's gloves. This directly leads to the 3rd goal.

What kind of advice is it to watch offensively biased condensed games? I understand not having time to watch the game in real time or later to not watch the whole game, but maybe don't tell yourself that you've got the complete picture after having done that. And you most certainly shouldn't feel as if you have a full grasp on how the entire game went, because you can't.

Oh and thanks for the leaping insight into the obvious about protecting the slot area. The Bolts got progressively better through the game at protecting against High Danger Chances. 7, 4, 2 in each period respectively. So a team that is playing for nothing at all, lost to a team that is still concerned with playoff positioning because they were asleep for 2minutes of a 60min game that means nothing.
Have to agree that you can’t get a clear picture if all you watch are games heavily edited for time. It’s solid (boring) defense and routine puck retrieval in particular that they edit out. In fact it kind of boggles the mind that you’d soapbox something based on games edited for offense. Of course you’re going to see all of the d-zone breakdowns. It taints your perspective.

But don’t take my word for it or Zeyk’s ... or the stats. How about all of the Lightning coaches and the GM? When the team was having an obvious problem with giving up quality scoring chances (all over the place, not just in the slot), someone, I forgot who, called a meeting to get everyone to buckle down on defense. By the end of the month, the difference was startling. Cernak came into his own and has made an enormous difference, as have the forwards who play with much better structure. This has been such a clear area of improvement that stories been written about it. Go look.

But the biggest indicator was the brass – JBB with YZ consulting - not doing anything to reshape the blueline. They stood pat precisely because they were so convinced by the level of play they watched.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:25 PM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Have to agree that you can’t get a clear picture if all you watch are games heavily edited for time.
This has been such a clear area of improvement that stories been written about it. Go look.
Not saying I can't get a clear picture of the entire game, but, I am not really breaking down the entire game. (I really miss going to 25+ live games a year).
But... I get a crystal clear picture of slot coverage breakdowns from the snippits of video I can see.
Guarantee that those looks I identified are getting broken down and re-run in either team video meetings or coaches meetings, but its not getting ignored.

Glad they have improved noticeably, but sometimes you have to take off the fan hat and put on the coaches hat. Don't get me wrong, I bleed blue/black but when opponents are wide open in the slot that is a concern to me, especially come playoff time.

Last edited by gphockey; 03-26-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:43 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphockey View Post
Not saying I can't get a clear picture of the entire game, but, I am not really breaking down the entire game. (I really miss going to 25+ live games a year).
But... I get a crystal clear picture of slot coverage breakdowns from the snippits of video I can see.
Guarantee that those looks I identified are getting broken down and re-run in either team video meetings or coaches meetings, but its not getting ignored.

Glad they have improved noticeably, but sometimes you have to take off the fan hat and put on the coaches hat. Don't get me wrong, I bleed blue/black but when opponents are wide open in the slot that is a concern to me, especially come playoff time.
I get a really clear picture of the lethality of lightning strikes from the snippets of people being hit by lightning that I've seen. Conclusion, Lightning kills people like cancer and heart disease.

Hockey is a game of mistakes. You're watching just the mistakes. All teams that are in the upper echelons of the league give up goals and they're typically due to high danger chances. All teams strive to limit high danger chances against. Some nights you do a great job of it, others not so much. Saying that the Lightning need to tighten up defensively, based on your snippet viewing, isn't informative. You could very easily have just said, "All teams, including the best one in the league, need to tighten up in the slot area defensively" or "The Lightning needs to remember to wear skates!"

Last edited by ZeykShade; 03-26-2019 at 01:46 PM.