BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 09-13-2019, 06:25 PM
Phil Esposito's Fax Machine

Mariner get 10.5+ a year? Not seeing how this is good for us. I Love Point, but not seeing him getting that here....right?
Old 09-13-2019, 09:12 PM
Cooper's Law

Taxes, man, taxes.

All JBB has to do is show Point a comparison between actual take-home pay for Marner and for what we’re offering. Don’t sweat it.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:45 PM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

I don’t think that’s gonna make up a 5 million difference...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-14-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Taxes, man, taxes.

All JBB has to do is show Point a comparison between actual take-home pay for Marner and for what we’re offering. Don’t sweat it.
So...taxes will get us down to 8.5 million?

That math ain't working in my head. If he did take 8.5 million, then we would be pretty much at the cap without any maneuverability to do anything later. Next year will be interesting as well.

I keep hearing not to worry about it, but the season is starting and I ain't seeing a bridge deal like I was hearing...and now Marner gets 10.8.

I guess I will keep NOT worrying about it...but I don't see how this works as easy as was originally thought...
Old 09-14-2019, 09:15 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Just because Toronto foolishly overpaid Marner doesn’t mean that we will over pay Point. Toronto screwed up with Matthews last year and Mariner took advantage.

Dubas is an awful negotiator. Their top 3 forwards make $34 million. That’s absurd. Our top 3 players make less than $26 million and are significantly better.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Just because Toronto foolishly overpaid Marner doesn’t mean that we will over pay Point. Toronto screwed up with Matthews last year and Mariner took advantage.

Dubas is an awful negotiator. Their top 3 forwards make $34 million. That’s absurd. Our top 3 players make less than $26 million and are significantly better.
This, all of it.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:57 AM

I think as Donnie said in the other thread it's term more than money that's the sticking issue. Point wants to end his next deal as a UFA rather than an RFA. I think we might have to give him $7+ mil for 3 years which is really rich for a bridge deal, or bite the bullet and buy a UFA year or two, problem is the AAV can't be too much as a result of it.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
I think as Donnie said in the other thread it's term more than money that's the sticking issue. Point wants to end his next deal as a UFA rather than an RFA. I think we might have to give him $7+ mil for 3 years which is really rich for a bridge deal, or bite the bullet and buy a UFA year or two, problem is the AAV can't be too much as a result of it.
I would really find it hard to believe that Point would take less then 8.5 now that sees that Marner got 10.8.

We shall see.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizman View Post
I would really find it hard to believe that Point would take less then 8.5 now that sees that Marner got 10.8.

We shall see.
Yeah but Marner will be locked in at 10.8 for longer. Point would be an FA again sooner and probably get more money than Marner thanks to that, if he goes that route anyway.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizman View Post

We shall see.
Everyone in Toronto is overhyped by the Toronto media and their fans. Then they are overpaid by Dubas.

It’s a perfect match.