BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 08-03-2019, 10:28 AM
Phil Esposito's Fax Machine

Lightnings leverage seems like it could go up based upon injury, then as time passes, they wouldn't have much leverage as Domingue would be a rental.

Also, how long can we hold him? Who's going to give you much if hes not playing? Seems like a mess. Would hope we can get a 5th rounder and move on...but wouldn't be surprised if it was less then that.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:50 PM
BP Staff

Considering we got him for not much more than a box of lightbulbs, I'm not that concerned. It's pretty clear JBB and Frantz Jean can pull out a Rolodex of their old QMJHL contacts and find a solid backup at will if they want to.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:07 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizman View Post
Lightnings leverage seems like it could go up based upon injury, then as time passes, they wouldn't have much leverage as Domingue would be a rental.

Also, how long can we hold him? Who's going to give you much if hes not playing? Seems like a mess. Would hope we can get a 5th rounder and move on...but wouldn't be surprised if it was less then that.
We were never going to get much for him
Old 08-06-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
We were never going to get much for him
I'm not 100% sure on that. If they had signed him to a 2 year deal, then maybe the term would be more attractive to another team in a trade situation. I still dont understand why he signed the 1 year deal, then expressed desire to go elsewhere. Why not just find a better situation and sign there?
Old 08-06-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure on that. If they had signed him to a 2 year deal, then maybe the term would be more attractive to another team in a trade situation. I still dont understand why he signed the 1 year deal, then expressed desire to go elsewhere. Why not just find a better situation and sign there?
Didn't Domingue sign a 2 year deal? Guy was pretty much out of the league a few years ago. I'm sure he'd love to piggyback his wins from last year into a shot in the NHL (Guy is like 26, I get it). But as others have said, he's not bringing a huge return (I mean, even with his win total, his stats weren't that good, and look at the returns other goalies bring back). And why would you wait until next season to need to find another backup if you have the opportunity now? Even if the return is very little, that will be more than you get next year.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:11 AM

Yes this is the last year of his two year deal. We didn't just sign him this offseason to do this shenanigans.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/louis-domingue

A genuine starter like Bishop didn't get us that much (well now Cernak might be a gem, but no one was THAT excited to get him), so no way a backup with average stats besides wins would be someone to anguish over the value of.

Last edited by Hoek; 08-06-2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:25 AM
Dave Mishkin's Larynx

Quote:
Maybe I missed it but where is this quote from Domingue on wanting to go elsewhere? I think he did an interview where he said he hoped to get a chance to be a starter again but I think he was referring to after this deal with TBL is over - the guy isn't stupid enough to think he is going to start over the Vezina winner. Actually everything I have seen indicates he was happy with his situation here for now.

This current scenario kind of screws him over. If he gets sent to Syracuse or gets claimed by another team on waivers late in training camp and starts bouncing around waivers it hurts his chances to have another good season and set himself up for a nice deal next season as a UFA.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:00 AM

I don't think he demanded a trade or anything. It's more the writing was on the wall. With 20+ wins last season it does give him a bit of leeway to ask for more or look for a 1A/1B type role in another organization for more money. We wanted to get ahead of it by locking in a solid backup for that next year now while we could.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:04 AM

Guess I had that wrong. I thought for sure I remember him signing a new deal. So he's on the last year of a two year deal. So the Lightning wanted some assurance that they had a goalie for more then this year..

Guess my question is...who's the best back up for the Lightning this year...I hope this guy McIinery (sp) is the answer, cuz we would be screwed if an in...err, nevermind.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:47 PM

He never lost a game the first time he was with the Lightning.