BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The BP Front Page

Old 12-03-2019, 11:00 PM
BP Staff

Default NHL Game Night: 12-3-19 Lightning at Predators

Lightning OT master class claims two crucial road points.

TB-3
NSH-2 (OT)

Andrei Vasilevskiy allowed 2 goals on 32 shots for the OT victory.

First Period
7:46 TB Hedman (5), (Stamkos, Johnson)

Second Period
6:13 NSH Jarnkrok (10), (Turris)
6:44 TB Palat (9), (Kucherov, Shattenkirk)

Third Period
9:51 NSH Turris (5), (Ekholm, Ellis)(PP)

Overtime
2:35 TB Kucherov (10), (Stamkos, Sergachev)

Nikita Kucherov was the game's first star.

The Lightning tried to piddle this one down the leg pretty hard, wasting a full major penalty and several other golden opportunities to take this one in regulation on the power play. However, putting that aside, they got good goaltending tonight and they absolutely put on a master class in possession in Overtime by controlling the puck for pretty much the full duration of OT before tying a bow on it with a tap in finish by Kucherov.

I would be unsurprised to see Erik Cernak go right back on suspension for an uncalled elbow in the Third Period of tonight's contest.

It's really hard to understate how important those two points were. Lose that game and you've got to get nine of ten remaining possible points in this ten game segment of the year to stay on playoff pace. Even with the win, the Lightning still have to collect seven points out of the next five games. .700 hockey is far from a gimme, either, but it's more in the realm of reality than .900 hockey.

Carter Verhaeghe was -1 with 2 penalty minutes in 5:19.

Box score and extended statistics from NHL.com.

read more

http://www.boltprospects.com/content...ning-predators
Old 12-04-2019, 07:54 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

That was a headshot that got 2 minutes, but not an elbow(if we are talking about the same thing).

Cernak might get games because he elevated himself. He can’t shift his momentum to zero just because Carr delivered his head on a silver platter in that situation.

This is still a young physical player adjusting to the speed of the NHL
Old 12-04-2019, 08:19 AM

If it's not an elbow, it's close. And he was looking at him the whole time and elevated up. Just horrible play by him. He will be out again, and we are so thin at defensive dmen (especially on the right side), that's killer.

I will say, Johansson better be getting games as well. His elbow was horrible.

I actually think a lot of my thoughts on this game are jaded by the 5 minute PP since that is right about the point I started watching. I will say on the positive, TJ is halfway to his November totals.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:26 AM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
I will say on the positive, TJ is halfway to his November totals.
Brutal.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:57 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
If it's not an elbow, it's close. And he was looking at him the whole time and elevated up. Just horrible play by him. He will be out again, and we are so thin at defensive dmen (especially on the right side), that's killer.

I will say, Johansson better be getting games as well. His elbow was horrible.

I actually think a lot of my thoughts on this game are jaded by the 5 minute PP since that is right about the point I started watching. I will say on the positive, TJ is halfway to his November totals.
I thought Johansson's elbow was pre-meditated and deliberate. But, I also think Cernak just got off suspension and he's now made himself a repeat offender.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I thought Johansson's elbow was pre-meditated and deliberate. But, I also think Cernak just got off suspension and he's now made himself a repeat offender.
Absolutely, and I'd agree his was much worse/egregious. Also should point out this would be Johanson's second suspension in the calendar year, so he should be getting a healthy dose as well. But Cernak did rise up, and he had his eyes on the Preds head the whole way. It was a bad hit, and as you said, being back less than 5 games, I'm not going to be surprised if he gets a stiff penalty this time. And we can't afford it.