BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 04:53 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Testing is so far behind at this time that it's kind of pointless to be fixated on the confirmed case count. The increasing numbers are more reflective of the increased testing we are doing than the spread necessarily, at least until it catches up. Hospitalizations, and well, deaths are the measurement to look at now, since those occur whether folks get tested ahead of time or not.

Last edited by Hoek; 03-31-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:28 PM

Joe Biden / Gretchen Whitmer?
Old 03-31-2020, 07:47 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

That "nasty" woman is definitely on his list. I still like Harris for the spot, but he's got more than several strong, smart women to consider including Whitmer. I always admired Granholm too. Michigan went to a dark place with 8 years of Rick Snyder, but then came to their senses with Whitmer.

From a "enhance the ticket" perspective, she'd probably bring Michigan, but I think Biden wins MI anyway. But, what do I know??
Old 03-31-2020, 10:12 PM
BP Staff

The fact that Seattle and San Francisco, which had their first cases of coronavirus earlier than New York City, aren't seeing the severe spike that New York City has is proof enough to me that the governments there did something right. DeBlasio, unfortunately, was hesitant for about a week to pull the trigger on a lockdown and that's arguably the biggest factor in why New York is getting slammed right now. I say arguably because it's entirely possible coronavirus got to the city before Seattle and San Francisco and went undetected or misdiagnosed as a pneumonia outbreak instead.

The problem is that the overall response is so patchwork and I suspect the crisis ends up following its own version of the laws of thermodynamics by inevitably migrating from areas with high levels of public health regulation to areas with low levels of public health regulation. IOW, I think the coronavirus is going to tear through the Southeast next because not many of these governors in the region have cloaked themselves in glory, and it's eventually also going to move from urban/suburban areas out into the exurbs and rural areas where you may not see the same big body counts, but the per capita toll could be devastating in those smaller communities.

If people weren't taking this shit serious before this should've been the moment today that everyone sat up and took notice:

100,000 deaths is the good side of the scenario right now, and that's damned near double the number the US lost in the Vietnam War. Gone in under six months. Poof. And that's rosy optimistic given how irresponsible the federal government, several state governments, and about a third of the citizenry are handling this. I'd take the over on that grim bet, frankly.

Meanwhile, in another tale of stupidity from the same folks who brought you shipping out 17.8 tons of PPE to China in February and not replenishing the supply...

Quote:
Wow, this stat ... The government has yet to curtail exports of PPE by U.S. companies—roughly 280 million masks in warehouses around the U.S. were purchased by foreign buyers on Monday alone, according to Forbes.
https://twitter.com/dlippman/status/...374974977?s=20

You have got to be fucking kidding me. This is the nexus between murderous levels of incompetence and corruption.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:13 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Joe Biden / Gretchen Whitmer?
David Wasserman of Cook's Political Report thinks that's why Trump has seemingly singled her out. I just think it's because he's a small dicked child who is scared of competent women.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:00 AM

Almost 1,000 dead in the U.S. yesterday.

240,000 looks incredibly optimistic
Old 04-01-2020, 07:35 AM

New York also gets a lot more international travel, denser population, and much higher use of public transportation. Perfect conditions to cause the virus to explode.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:50 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

DeSantis waiting for his mentor in DC to issue a shutdown of Florida before he does, abdicating his responsibility as an elected government official to a reality TV show con man huckster with no discernible medical experience who goes by his gut instincts rather than accept science. Yeah we're fuc*ed

https://news.yahoo.com/no-statewide-...000839819.html
Old 04-01-2020, 07:57 AM
Brad Richard's Contract

Governor Mills issued a statewide stay at home order here in Maine. I heard ski area condos are full with out of state owners/renters fleeing populated areas in Massachusetts/ NY / Connecticut. Mills spoke directly to them saying they cannot run from the virus and stay at home. Also now that they are here they now need to abide by Maine laws and directives. She mentioned she has had many suggestions to close the I95 bridge from NH to Maine but said she cannot do that. (Not sure why, guessing it’s a federal law, plus there are several other state (and secondary) roads into Maine from NH so people will find a way in.

I heard Florida state police is now screening drivers entering Florida and I assume they are turning away non residents? Is this true?

My wife and I did a 6 am grocery store trip today. Not planning on any more trips out except a motorcycle ride (not stopping, just cruising) IF the temperature EVER gets to near 60. Was 32 this morning.

I took vacation time this week. Considering checking into furlough time off for April.

Be safe, limit trips and consolidate them. Eat at home, limit contact with those outside your household best you can,, and keep cleaning. I look forward to bantering with you all in the future, good luck and best wishes to everyone.

Last edited by gphockey; 04-01-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:45 AM

I think the whole state shutdown panic is a bit overrated when every major city in Florida has already ordered a shutdown. Would it be nice to have it be clear across the board and have another level of government message the importance of staying home? Sure, but I don't think DeSantis announcing something will have that much of an effect on the ground compared to what we are already doing.

They aren't turning away non-residents to my knowledge, only telling them they need to self quarantine once they arrive at their destination.
Closed Thread