Old 07-27-2020, 03:08 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Sigh.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ed8THvpW...g&name=900x900
Old 07-27-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
In the past 8 days, Florida has seen 10,000 new cases of COVID in children (around a 30% increase) and around 80 new hospitalizations (a 23% increase).

Meanwhile the Senate introduces their bill today (keep in mind the evictions moratorium already expired, $600 expires in 4 days). This bill will cut that $600 to $200 until they are able to implement their 70% of what you were making (which will be super easy to enforce I'm sure). I swear they are testing to see how bad they can lose (or if they can just get away with anything) at this point.
FL could never handle. Our max benefit is $275 per week for 12 weeks. Most should have exhausted this by now. $200 per week will be a disaster; no way they would ever be able to get 70% calculated and paid out here.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:25 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
They don’t give a shit about the unemployed. They think that folks will be so thrilled with the $1,200 checks that they will get with accompanying letter signed by Trump to re-elect him.
Even the most delusional Republican campaign consultant knows double-digit unemployment is a non-starter for any potential Trump re-election scenario. The kind of snowball economic implosion they're inviting by not re-upping the current stimulus supports probably makes double-digit unemployment a lead pipe lock through the end of 2020.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:57 PM

This is a political stimulus. The $1,200 checks are just an attempt to buy votes. Studies showed that 40% of those checks went into savings or the stock market in the first round. Trump wants folks to invest in the stock market as the only metric he cares about is the Dow Jones.

This isn’t like the Bush recession where you wanted to stimulate the economy. People who kept their jobs and retirees have money. They aren’t spending it because they don’t feel safe. My spending is about 60% of my pre covid spending. I gave the last stimulus check to the food bank. Handing me another $2,400 isn’t magically going to make me go out to eat or travel. I’d do that now if it was safe.

Then you have the unemployed and people who have seen their earnings reduced. They are the ones that need the money. But that’s the group seeing their benefits reduced.

If you are going to do a one time $1,200 check just give it to the people earning less than $40,000 or the unemployed. But that’s not the politically popular thing for republicans.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:41 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
This is a political stimulus. The $1,200 checks are just an attempt to buy votes. Studies showed that 40% of those checks went into savings or the stock market in the first round. Trump wants folks to invest in the stock market as the only metric he cares about is the Dow Jones.
And the stock market isn't in any way, shape, or form a reflection of real economic health because 84% of investment in the stock market is held by 10% of the population. 48% of households don't have a cent in the stock market. So, truth be told, the stock market is as much about how wealthy elites feel the economy is doing more than anything else. And, because there's an experiential disconnect between how that 10% feels versus what everyone else's reality is, well, that's part of how bubbles form.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:50 PM

President Trump’s announcement last week that he’d be throwing the opening pitch at a Yankees game on Aug. 15 shocked his own staffers and the New York team—because it hadn’t actually been scheduled, The New York Times reports. Trump was reportedly so annoyed by Dr. Anthony Fauci’s first pitch at the Washington Nationals season opener that he told staff to call up Yankees President Randy Levine, who’d offered to let him pitch at a game. But they hadn’t agreed on a date when Trump announced at the White House last week—shortly before Fauci made his comically awful pitch—that Levine “asked me to throw out the first pitch, and I think I’m doing that on Aug. 15 at Yankee Stadium.”

But Biden is the crazy one.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:24 PM

It's not a disconnect of perception, it's an actual disconnect. Unlike small businesses, most publicly traded companies are not handcuffed by shutdowns and quarantines. Unfortunately, they also stand to gain market size after these shutdowns wipe out all of the mom and pop shops and investors are buying into that.

The comeback has been uneven and buoyed by tech and e-commerce, not all sectors on the market have come back and many are still reeling. Travel stocks obviously, but the big one is the financial sector. If the government drags it's feet and allows main street to start defaulting on their loans, banks could be in deep doo-doo. Buffet just increased his position size in BofA, the prevailing wisdom is that the government won't allow another 2008 crisis but with the orange doofus in office anything is possible.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:09 PM
BP Staff

I'm pretty sure the Biden Veepstakes has reached the, "damn they're really overthinking this" stage.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:28 AM

MorningConsult Poll:

Colorado:
Biden +13

Virginia:
Biden +10

Michigan:
Biden +10

Arizona:
Biden +7

Pennsylvania:
Biden +7

Wisconsin:
Biden +7

Florida:
Biden +3

Minnesota:
Biden +3

Texas:
Biden +2

Georgia:
Biden +1

North Carolina:
Tied

Ohio:
Trump +3
Old 07-28-2020, 10:41 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I'm pretty sure the Biden Veepstakes has reached the, "damn they're really overthinking this" stage.
Exactly!! Make a decision and get on with it!!!