BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-23-2020, 01:28 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
unless you are thinking of calling them the Rain, or the Squatches, or the Roasters or something.
The "52 and Drizzles" is a little long but would have gotten my vote.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:45 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Zo View Post
The "52 and Drizzles" is a little long but would have gotten my vote.
On 2nd thought, the Needles would have worked the best, they could have used a hypo needle with the space needle as the plunger.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Zo View Post
Home/Away jerseys via Icethetics

I'm smitten. This whole branding is really good. The multiple shades of blue, and the effective minimalist use of red. Very bold look and I like it a lot.
A true Krakhead. You know that will be the nickname for the fans.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
The Philadelphia Flyers say hi. So do all those sabertooth tigers and big cats in the Nashville area. So do the Calgary Flames. And when I think of Boston, I think of bears. And monarchs, when I think of LA. Point is, if that is the criticism, there's plenty of others to lump in there
Flyers is just an interesting alliteration with Philadelphia. The Predators logo is a reference to a sabretooth cat they dug up in downtown Nashville back in 1971, believe it or not. Flames? Well they moved from Atlanta so it's not their fault, though you could argue it ties in with Alberta's oil fields a bit. Bears are everywhere so that's not a big deal with Boston. The Kings I think were picked because their original purple and gold color scheme matched with the Lakers (another name worth criticizing perhaps, but blame relocation for that one too).

Kraken is a mythological beast based in Norway. The PNW has its own myths to draw from like Sasquatch if they wanted that angle. No, this was solely based on some internet guys thinking it'd be cool like Boaty McBoatface and comes off kinda cringe to me. I have a feeling that "Release the Kraken!" reference is going to get dated real quick.

That said, I still like it more than Vegas Golden Knights. The logo and uniforms are nice and clean too.

Last edited by Hoek; 07-23-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
Agree. Kraken was my choice from the get go. They're building a beautiful practice facility in town which will be used primarily for community hockey and skating, as well as their practice facility. Then they've got the $250M brand new arena in Palm Springs for their AHL affiliate. These guys are stout and not lacking for $$. We all know Tod L. from his time in Tampa. Total class act, this ownership and management group.

And yes Pete, no "Florida Fairgrounds" start for this group.
I like it. Name, jerseys, TJ .....
Old 07-23-2020, 05:59 PM

I like it. Equating it into the Seattle area is honestly tough. Can't use Orcas or Sharks. I mean they have logging, Grunge, Coffee, rain, and the ocean. I don't know how you use the other things. Can't use the Metros, so go mythical sea monster. I love they were able to make is just an S like the old logo too. I'll get some merch.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:19 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
I like it. Equating it into the Seattle area is honestly tough. Can't use Orcas or Sharks. I mean they have logging, Grunge, Coffee, rain, and the ocean. I don't know how you use the other things. Can't use the Metros, so go mythical sea monster. I love they were able to make is just an S like the old logo too. I'll get some merch.
We've got a fair number of folks here from WA and OR, so it'll be fun to see some swag around town. I've said for the four years I've been here that Reno is a hockey wasteland, and rightfully so. But with a new rink set to open in S. Reno in November, and now with Seattle in the fold, things are definitely improving. I'll probably pop for a tshirt..

(The Kraken STILL need an ECHL affiliate. )
Old 07-23-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Flyers is just an interesting alliteration with Philadelphia. The Predators logo is a reference to a sabretooth cat they dug up in downtown Nashville back in 1971, believe it or not. Flames? Well they moved from Atlanta so it's not their fault, though you could argue it ties in with Alberta's oil fields a bit. Bears are everywhere so that's not a big deal with Boston. The Kings I think were picked because their original purple and gold color scheme matched with the Lakers (another name worth criticizing perhaps, but blame relocation for that one too).

Kraken is a mythological beast based in Norway. The PNW has its own myths to draw from like Sasquatch if they wanted that angle. No, this was solely based on some internet guys thinking it'd be cool like Boaty McBoatface and comes off kinda cringe to me. I have a feeling that "Release the Kraken!" reference is going to get dated real quick.

That said, I still like it more than Vegas Golden Knights. The logo and uniforms are nice and clean too.
Ok, something I've wondered, how did the penguins come to be?
Old 07-23-2020, 08:34 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
They also have a giant Boeing plant, which means anything aviation is on the table. Hence why the basketball team was the Supersonics.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Ok, something I've wondered, how did the penguins come to be?
Fan contest picked the name. The winning entry cited the arena already being nicknamed the Igloo as an inspiration. Doesn't hurt that penguins already match that black white and gold color scheme all Pittsburgh teams share.