BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-16-2008, 12:32 PM
TexasBolt's Avatar
TexasBolt TexasBolt is offline
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 3,080
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
You did witness the distress that fans of Dan Boyle recently exhibited, right? And that with having gotten what should be a ridiculously good return in trade for him. We didn't just let him walk.
Apples and oranges. Boyle was pretty much stabbed in the back and then pushed out of a moving car by ownership. The hockey side of the trade was good - almost everyone agrees with that. The personal side was atrocious.

I don't remember any over-the-top drama like what the Roy groupies are exhibiting, if that's what you mean.
__________________
"Oh good ****ing God, there is a gas leak on HFB." - ChaseSpace after reading a pile of Stamkos insanity, 6/28/11
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Kowalski's Avatar
Kowalski Kowalski is offline
The Constrictor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brandon
Posts: 670
Send a message via AIM to Kowalski
Default

I think a true fan will love the team above all else. You have to trust that the people in charge are doing what they feel is best for the team. My favorite player was always Brad Richards, so I was upset when he was traded. But just because I'm a fan of a certain player doesn't mean I'm going to stop loving my favorite team. Andre Roy was a fan favorite, but I don't think that many people will stop coming to Lightning games because Andre Roy isn't coming back. Winning hockey games fills the stands more than fights. I trust the new owners are doing what they feel will win hockey games. I don't feel toughness will be an issue with the team.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:00 PM
bolts37205 bolts37205 is offline
Crispy's Notepad
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Belle Meade Tn
Posts: 1,069
Default Preds biggest disappointment was not

getting Laraque. Preds have done a great job of putting together a team on a wing and a prayer and begging for coins off the street and Poile felt compelled to find an enforcer better than Hardichuck. Hence Gratton once Laraque fell through. There is some persistent thought that enforcers have a role in the current NHL. Protecting Sullivan if he comes back or Radulov because they are smallish may be totally separate from protecting our guys excepting MSL because our guys may indeed be able to handle themselves without the need for an enforcer.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Bolthed's Avatar
Bolthed Bolthed is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gainesvegas!
Posts: 4,450
Default

Because of the instigator rule and the de-evolution of fighting over the last several years, my feeling is simply: Why waste a valuable roster spot? If you've got enough guys who will take care of business, it's far more valuable to have that 13th or 14th forward be a power-play or penalty-kill specialist. Special teams are WAY more important now than fighting. And it's not like enforcers go around cheap shotting and ignoring the rules and racking up suspensions. They only fight each other, and nowadays most teams will pressbox their goons when facing a team that doesn't have one.

Let's face reality - Heavyweights are being forced out. Why not stay ahead of that trend and ice a team that can take care of itself?
__________________
“Could I had posted cite a site?” — WWW dot Trump makes you dumb dot RU
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:46 PM
chad's Avatar
chad chad is offline
BP Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,092
Default

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Donnie D's Avatar
Donnie D Donnie D is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 7,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
When was the last time you heard the chants of "We want Boyle, we want Boyle!"?
From our fans or fans of the other team?
__________________
There has been so much division in America. Let's remember the things that unite us, the things we all agree on....Soccer sucks. #proudtobeanamerican
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-16-2008, 04:54 PM
cromag's Avatar
cromag cromag is offline
Puppa Scoopah
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Because of the instigator rule and the de-evolution of fighting over the last several years, my feeling is simply: Why waste a valuable roster spot? If you've got enough guys who will take care of business, it's far more valuable to have that 13th or 14th forward be a power-play or penalty-kill specialist. Special teams are WAY more important now than fighting. And it's not like enforcers go around cheap shotting and ignoring the rules and racking up suspensions. They only fight each other, and nowadays most teams will pressbox their goons when facing a team that doesn't have one.

Let's face reality - Heavyweights are being forced out. Why not stay ahead of that trend and ice a team that can take care of itself?
Why waste a roster spot? If you don't know, just ask Lecavalier and St. Louis. They seem to think the need is rather important.

The instigator really doesn't effect anything from this argument. If we are talking about someone protecting a teammate and you say that we have guys who can do that now, then they can get hit with the instigator as easily as Roy or any other heavyweight.

You say we should stay ahead of the trend? Would that be the trend that most teams now carry a heavyweight. All of the UFA guys are already gone. I can count on one hand how many teams don't have at least one guy that is in that role.

I am not saying we are not a tough team, because we should be. However, I really don't want to see Tarnasky, Arty, Gratton, Malone, O'Brien, or Roberts get killed in a fight with Brashear because he puts a vicious hit on one of our stars.

Scoring on the powerplay isn't a consolation if Stamkos gets injured.

And honestly, even the little pests may have to fight someone like the guys mentioned if they take liberties with our players, but who are they going to fear?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Sotnos's Avatar
Sotnos Sotnos is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Posts: 13,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
Lawton took the long way around it, acknowledging his popularity, etc, but said the group of players mentioned (which included Roy) was looking for more ice time in other places. Then said he couldn't talk about Roy specifically, then said TB will have the biggest group of forwards in the league and most of them aren't scared to drop the gloves...

So if you cut to the chase, they do not plan to have an enforcer on the team, and they did all but say forget Roy.
Yeah he gave a good final answer, I think, and him bringing up the player's perspective was a good point that isn't brought up too often. I was kinda surprised the question was asked though (twice), it's been in the paper, it was announced by Duemig...you'd think enough people would've heard the definitive NO already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
And it's not like enforcers go around cheap shotting and ignoring the rules and racking up suspensions.
There's that, plus the fact that their presence on a team isn't stopping the idiots who do go around cheap shotting & ignoring the rules.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-16-2008, 05:05 PM
cromag's Avatar
cromag cromag is offline
Puppa Scoopah
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
Yeah he gave a good final answer, I think, and him bringing up the player's perspective was a good point that isn't brought up too often. I was kinda surprised the question was asked though (twice), it's been in the paper, it was announced by Duemig...you'd think enough people would've heard the definitive NO already.

There's that, plus the fact that their presence on a team isn't stopping the idiots who do go around cheap shotting & ignoring the rules.
What was the final answer?

What was the player's perspective he brought up?

What was announced by Duemig?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Bolthed's Avatar
Bolthed Bolthed is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gainesvegas!
Posts: 4,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
You say we should stay ahead of the trend? Would that be the trend that most teams now carry a heavyweight. All of the UFA guys are already gone. I can count on one hand how many teams don't have at least one guy that is in that role.
How about the Stanley Cup champion Detroit Red Wings?

How about Georges Laraque hardly sniffing the ice during the playoffs.

You're attachment to your side of this debate is undermining your point, Cro. I say the Bolts should not add a goon, and I'm pretty sure THIS roster isn't going to be allowing any liberties to be taken. Not worried about Brashear. If a heavyweight like him takes a run at one of our players I'm sure one of our tough guys will step up and handle themselves without getting "killed."
__________________
“Could I had posted cite a site?” — WWW dot Trump makes you dumb dot RU
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
roy

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2008, BoltProspects.com. All Rights Reserved.