BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 10-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat664422 View Post
The tweet would end CD's future with the team if I were GM and I'd move him as soon as reasonably possible to send a message to the rest of the team that kind of crap is not tolerated. The only thing that would have been worse is him tweeting admiration of Crosby's goals while sitting on the Lightning bench.
This.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Coming into the season, that was not what we were told to expect. We heard it was an even goalie competition. Has his mind changed dramatically after 5 games? Would he even say something to that effect to the media? Unless you talked to Cooper on Saturday night and asked if his entire concept of goalie workload has changed, then my concern is valid. So, we're talking about speculation and opinion. And I'll thank you very kindly not to label my valid criticism as an overreaction considering we all like to opine and speculate on these here message boards.
You are confusing the *right* thing GMs and coaches say about a young goaltender going into the season. You expect them to tell the truth in the press about the goaltender situation? Their job is to motivate and encourage their players. Handing Bishop the #1 publicly before the season even starts sends a deflating message to Lindback. That's makes no sense why SY and JC would do that.

So, like Pete, you have to be smart enough to read between the lines and read the tea leaves of what is already happening on the ice to discern the *real* truth. Pete is just pointing out the real truth, but you should have already been leaning towards this version of the truth anyway.

Why?

Well... when a GM goes out and trades away an AHL MVP and Rookie-of-the-Year, and a Calder candidate for another goalie just 9 months after he traded away a 2nd round pick to acquire you, I would say that's some pretty clear tea leaves on the bets being hedged down on Channelside. Right?

Sometimes what SFY says publicly is absolute truth; sometimes it's a fake-out. You have to see what's happening around the words to see the real truth. From the day SFY gave up Conacher, it's been Bishop's job to lose.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:06 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Has his mind changed dramatically after 5 games?
One goaltender has 3 wins. The other has 2 losses. If you think Jon Cooper's primary goal is winning hockey games, and you accept that he's not a total idiot, I think you can see this is going to sort itself out. As I said, he's not running a charity, and until Lindback plays at or above Bishop's level, Bishop's going to be the #1.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:27 PM
XO Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
One goaltender has 3 wins. The other has 2 losses. If you think Jon Cooper's primary goal is winning hockey games, and you accept that he's not a total idiot, I think you can see this is going to sort itself out. As I said, he's not running a charity, and until Lindback plays at or above Bishop's level, Bishop's going to be the #1.
The only thing for me is I was expecting a competition for the #1 position - specifically, I was expecting Lindback to raise his game and make it more of a competition than it has been so far, make it something that would take longer to sort out. Given how both played last year and how both have played this year, it already looks sorted out.

The good thing though is Lindback is still young, hasn't yet even played a full season's worth of games in this league, so I'd imagine he's not hit his ceiling yet and he'll play better for stretches. But Bishop is clearly ahead of him at present.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Cooper's Law

I just hope you're right and we won't see Lindback until the next back-to-back on Oct. 27. What I don't want to see, if we all agree that Cooper should treat Bishop like a clear No. 1, is a) giving Lindback the next start as soon as Bishop has a subpar game; or b) giving Lindback more than one start at a time (until he starts making more game-changing saves to justify it).

We shall see.