BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Farm

Old 01-19-2020, 03:45 PM
Cooper's Law

Don’t be so sure about Joseph’s value. He is definitely still a commodity at 22 years old (about to turn 23) with size, speed and grit. This season is the first time in years that he’s struggled.

2014-15 QMJHL 59GP 21G 21A 42P
Playoffs 5GP 1G 2A 3P
2015-16 QMJHL 58GP 33G 40A 73P
Playoffs 5GP 5G 2A 7P
2016-17 QMJHL 54GP 36G 44A 80P
World Juniors 7GP 1G 4A 5P
Playoffs 18GP 13G 19A 32P
2017-18 AHL 70GP 15G 38A 53P
Playoffs 7GP 3G 4A 7P
2018-19 NHL 70GP 13G 13A 26P
Playoffs 4GP 0G 0A 0P

Joseph had recently turned 18 when he was selected by the Bolts in the 4th round of the 2015 draft. I’m sure Pete can recall what kind of a prospect he was back then, but I remember that he spent the next two years in junior pushing his offensive ceiling higher than originally expected. He went to Syracuse with a reputation for defensive acumen and had a very good first season as a 20-year-old pro, again putting up more offense than had been expected. Then last year as a 21-year-old rookie, we saw a well-rounded two way player with enough flashes of offense – using his speed to surprise defenders, deploying a sneaky wrister, showing the size and toughness to cycle effectively – enough flashes of offense to imagine he might develop into more than a lower-line defensive forward, maybe chart a course to middle-six status the way Cirelli has.

You don’t toss all of that just because he’s taken a step back in his sophomore campaign. I doubt we see JBB sell low, so either we get fair value for a very young forward with a very good resume and very good potential or we hold onto him. There’s no urgency to make a decision this year.

Last edited by Bolthed; 01-19-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:50 PM
Cooper's Law

It will be interesting to see how everything is handled. We are going to need cheap depth forwards with the cap situation, but it's hard to see where the room for all these guys will be.

Forward prospects that will need to be on the NHL roster next season or put on waivers: Verhaeghe, Stephens, Joseph, Volkov, and Yan

Forward prospects that will need to be on the NHL roster the following season or put on waivers: Colton, Barre-Boulet, Raddysh, Katchouk, Somppi

Obviously some of these guys won't make the NHL, but it might make some sense to move a couple of these guys for a young/cheap defenseman at some point.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:44 AM
Barry Melrose's Hairstylist

With that being said, Joseph needs to show something quickly because Stephen's, Vehaughe and Volkov seem to be passing him by. I'm not sure of the reason for his regression, but at some point you have to move on from a player even if it means getting less value then what you think he could or should be worth. If he is or was that good, he needs to show it...

We got a 4th for Erne, which is basically the first pick in the 4th round and he was showing more at the time then Joseph is...so, I cant see Joseph's value being better then that. Maybe Yzerman will come calling, but I'm sure would say he got hosed on the Erne deal so he wants him on the cheap..
Old 01-20-2020, 05:45 PM
Tim Taylor's WrapAround

RFAs usually stay put. Joseph still a great prospect with good attitude. Like Volkov penalties got him in trouble.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:49 PM
Barry Melrose's Hairstylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxf9 View Post
RFAs usually stay put. Joseph still a great prospect with good attitude. Like Volkov penalties got him in trouble.
It seems to me like a numbers game...They cannot protect everyone

Stephen's, Verhaeghe, Volkov and Joseph...do they all make the NHL roster and avoid waivers? I'm guessing not. Sooooo....you move some and make the best deals you can...

Again, kinda like Erne last year. It's just the way it is.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:39 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

The Athletic has the Lightning prospect pool ranked #19.

Their top 4 includes Boulet, N Foote, C Foote and Volkov

The big upward differences between the June BP rankings are Alnefelt (based on his world junior play) and Cajkovic who they both have ranked higher.

The guy they have much lower than BP is Katchouk.

We should be seeing a new mid season ranking from BP shortly. Right?

Kayleigh McEnany: Thanks to the President, "we will not see diseases like the coronavirus come here."
Old 01-28-2020, 02:56 PM
BP Staff

Yeah, we really need to get back to working on those. We had compiled prelim rankings from 2 out of the 3 and never finished and published them. We need to do midterms or finals at some point here.